R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPhoto Review of the Quality my 2015 179

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Photo Review of the Quality my 2015 179
    Posted: 17 Aug 2015 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by LePodders

The outside shower box over the plug annoys me too. They says it safe, but it still doesn't feel right straddling a cord while showering?!

The connection is supposed to be waterproof, but I agree you shouldn't be tempting fate. 
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2015 at 4:13pm
This thread sure is making me feel good about maybe, possibly, potentially "movin on up" after the big Hershey, PA RV show in September (think resale). I guess we got a good one in our 178. No problems to speak of and lots of fun miles and mods.

fred
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
SNO4ME View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2015 at 11:19pm
Originally posted by nicfortin

Excellent review!
It confirm my choice (as you can see in my sig) we will be buying our first Rpod used becauseof those quality control issues.
thx-a-lot for your work/time.

I think if I sold our 2011 177 my wife would send me with it...........................Censored
Of course if a I came home with a 179 I would be welcomed back......................LOL
Bruce & Donna in the Sno Pod
(and Brewer too)
2011 RP 177
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2015 at 3:30pm
Fred, whatcha thinking about moving up to?
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
k4fcp View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2015 at 7:14pm
Jay
Tnx fer the post.  I agree with you on overall quality although mine has none of the issues you have.
That said, I do believe that most R Pod owners are new to trailers or former pop up owners; however, I have had several trailers and still bought the R-Pod.  My problem is that I keep comparing it to the Casita I had for 12 years and there is no comparison as the Casita is in another league from build quality, dealer service, etc.  The biggest unit they make is a 17' and I wanted more room.  I do think the R Pod is still better built than many units I've seen. One post was interesting about where the unit was built as, again, I have none of the problems you show.  I also have to keep in mind that I paid $12,600 for a 178 with everything.  The Casita would have been 18k but........
I would like to sell my Pod and buy a Casita but my wife loves the extra room, slider, etc. 
After 38 years of marriage, I just do what she wants/says as she is always right, gorgeous, intelligent, and I would be nothing without her. 
Rich
We just got back from out west camping in WY, SD, ND, and Montana.......no problems.
Rich
2013 R-177
2013 Ford F 150 4X4
(yeah, bought a new truck)!
dsmiths View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2015 at 7:33pm
It may be because our RP-172 is a 2011, but the only issues we had was the exterior door stop was loose and I put in an oversized screw and fixed that. I did vacuum up some saw dust under the sink area and water heater during the first winterization and did some expanding caulk around exterior drill holes. I did have to replace the LP gas hose limiter on the second year as it was hard to get the furnace to light for an initial warm up, but other than that no over tight screws, split wood etc. I think the earlier pods when demand was lower may have had better Q.A. Forest River had better take note or they will go the way of General Motors and domestic car builders in the late 70's and early 80's when the japs spanked them soundly with quality good priced vehicles. Forest River are you listening ?
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2015 at 9:49am
Originally posted by techntrek

That depends...Big smile

Wife is partial to Safari Condo

I would like to see what Camplite has to offer.

And, of course, I wanna walk through all the gizmo displays.

fred

2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
nicfortin View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2015 at 11:52am
Originally posted by fwunder

Originally posted by techntrek

Wife is partial to Safari Condo

We just sold ours after 5 beautiful years with it.

Moving back to trailer.

N
On a lookout for a used 179 (177 second choice)
Old Dingo&Mrs.Dingo View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2015 at 4:03pm
Mark you heard right, the Dometic people were running around working on refrigerators all week.  They had several vans full of techs.  The beeping seemed to stem from poorly sealed wiring?  I heard some FR techs talking about it.  On the other hand Dometic replaced my 2011 181 G's refrigerator (with a little prodding from Sue), because it wouldn't stay cold on 12 volts.

As to quality, I haven't found many shortcomings, that weren't easily repaired, with my "older" unit.  
Yes, the workmanship isn't what I would have hoped for, but better than we find in this industry in general today. 

While we are knocking FR, take into account they will repair almost any problem you bring to their attention, regardless of the trailer's age, free of cost at the International Rally.
Old Dingo and/or Mrs. Dingo
181G
2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Meach View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2015 at 7:56pm
I enjoyed reading your review of you rpod.

In some ways the poor quality construction (or really poor QC) is surprising but at the same time it is not. Seems to be the norm these days to make as many as possible as fast as possible of product xyz to maximize profit with little regard to actual quality.

I see you're pulling your rpod with an 05 prerunner. Is that with or without the tow package? We've been looking around at small light trailers to pull with my 07 prerunner w/o tow package. Iv'e towed my ski boat (now gone) and towed a small car with a tow dolly (prob around 3500 lbs total) with no issues, didn't want to have to get a new truck, my 07 is low mileage (less than 70K) as I ride one of my motorcycles most of the time. How did your prerunner do on your western trip? Any idea what kind of gas mileage you got?  We've been using my Yamaha Venture to tow a cargo trailer with  all our camping gear but wife would like to have a small camper. 

Thanks,
Meach
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>