R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > Non-pod Discussion Forums > Mods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedEZ Lube Axles

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Topic: EZ Lube Axles
    Posted: 17 Aug 2015 at 3:44pm
This subject has been discussed before but, could stand repeating from time to time. The article mentioned below concerns Dexter axles but, I suspect, would apply to Lippert, also.

In the September 2015 issue of “Trailer Life” magazine, in the “RV Clinic” section, on page 126 there is an interesting question regarding “EZ Lube” type axles. The writer laments that he had to replace his brake shoes and magnets (to the tune of $884) due to them becoming saturated with grease. He had been putting in 3 pumps of grease (from a grease gun) into the zerk fitting every 1000 miles. It seems he could not find a “recommendation” for how much or how often one should grease this type of axle and was asking for guidance.

The answer stated that there is NO manufacturer recommendation for lubing these axles between the recommended 12/12000 inspection/repacking. A “Dexter spokesperson” advises that these axles were designed for the marine/boat trailer industry. Filling the hub cavity with grease, via the zerk fitting, prevents water intrusion into the hub, during repeated water immersions of boat trailers.   This is not needed on camping trailers that do not get immersed in water.

My “take away” from the reading is we should do our 12mo/12000 inspections/repacking and no more. Additional greasing may do more harm than good, in our camping trailer applications.
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2015 at 3:46pm
Good to know
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2015 at 4:00pm
Interesting David. While I agree that most folks tend to over do it once they find that zerk fitting and pumping grease in every 1,000 miles is definitely over doing it, I take exception to that $884.00 figure. Wow, you can buy the entire 10" Nev-R-Adjust 3.5K brake assembly for less than $50.00. The drum assembly including bearings and seals is also about $50.00. How does he come up with $884.00?

Anyway, still good advice not to over do it and risk blowing a seal. Next season will be my third and 12,000 miles plus on the brakes - one repacking by myself. I'll probably replace the drums and brake assembly just cuz it's cheap insurance.

fred
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2015 at 5:49pm
Originally posted by fwunder

How does he come up with $884.00?

In the article, the writer mentions he took his trailer to his "RV Shop", as his brakes had ceased to work. I interpret this to mean "Professional RV Technician w/ Professional RV Technician prices".

The article doesn't mention how many axles he had serviced, either (2???)

Us DIY'ers can do things much less expensively. My annual bearing service (new seals, grease, spray brake cleaner, cotter pins and a small amount of paint thinner to clean the bearings) comes to less than $10 per wheel - with parts coming from the local NAPA parts store. I'm into my 6th year on the brake shoes (and bearings) and they looked fine this last Spring.

If I can remember to do so, this next Spring I may do a step by step (with photos) post on bearing service. It's not a hard job but, it is kind of messy.
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2015 at 7:55pm
I pumped mine until I got fresh grease out the front, while rotating the wheel. Took a whole tube of grease. No issue at all with seals or brakes. I did that at the start of this season, so, 4 seasons from new, probably at least 12,000 miles. Didn't see anything in the old grease to cause concern, and my brakes feel, work fine, so maybe in a couple years I will pull them apart for giggles.
 Post Reply Post Reply