Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedbattery

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: battery
    Posted: 24 Aug 2015 at 10:30pm
I am buying the 2016 Rpod 179 model this week. The dealer informed me it does not come with the battery, it would be extra. He indicated he doesn't use his, but if he did buy one he would get a bigger one than what is provided/sold with the unit.
So first question, if I don't plan on dry camping, at least not for a while, do I need a battery, and if NOT, can I use the car battery for basic power ups ?
Second, if I should get one, should I get a bigger as he recommended ?
SNO4ME View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2015 at 11:06pm
Doesn't come with a battery?  Really?

I'm kind of new to this trailer business (two years) and we bought ours used so I'm not real familiar with the program of buying a new unit. But they tell you the battery is extra?
I know they are not shipped with a battery, I'm assuming to do with hazardous materials rules?

I couldn't fathom going with out a battery (but then I have 2 batteries and a new generator).
This one is going to be interesting to hear!

We need the emoticon of the guy eating Pop Corn.  Smile

Bruce & Donna in the Sno Pod
(and Brewer too)
2011 RP 177
Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2015 at 6:20am
It is true that new units do not ship from the factory with a battery, however, all dealers include one with the sale. Yes, you must have a battery, it's required to power the electric brakes in an emergency break away and having a battery comes in very handy on the road. No you do not need a bigger battery, any group 24 RV/Marine will do just fine. 

Welcome and happy Podding! Thumbs Up
Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
(1/2 ton 5,800lb tow capacity)
Outbound View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2015 at 9:48am
You absolutely need a battery.  It would border on criminal for the dealer to allow you to drive away without one.  As Podster notes above, in the event the trailer becomes disconnected from the tow vehicle, the battery powers the electric brakes in an attempt to bring the trailer to a stop as quickly as possible (note: it won't be pretty, and the trailer may well end up smashed on its side; but, at least it isn't careening down a hill, gathering speed, heading towards who knows what kind of trouble).

It is true that Forest River doesn't supply the battery (its very rare for any manufacturer to include one).  Most dealers include a battery with their dealer prep/drive-away package.  But, there's certainly nothing wrong with declining the package and bringing along your own battery (and battery box... don't forget the box).  A quick trip to Costco for a group 27 deep cycle (not starting or hybrid) battery will set you up.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2015 at 10:12am
Welcome. +1

Also make sure you get a quote from Couch's so you have the best possible price in-hand when you negotiate. You should get away with just a few hundred more, depending on where you live.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
mesamie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2015 at 9:12am
thanks for the replies, but what is the difference between Marine group 24 vs 27, as 2 have mentioned each ?
mesamie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2015 at 9:17am
also, the dealer said he would get me one "at cost" at the local Walmart/Sam's Club for $129, but they seem cheaper when I looked up online ????
SNO4ME View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2015 at 9:18am
Generally the higher the group number the bigger the battery.
Bigger is usually better to a point but you have to pay for it and have space to put it.
(and possibly the weight problem)

In a pinch a battery is a battery. But when you are putting money out for the long run you want the right battery for the right job.    Automotive batteries for example have more of cranking amps for starting but do not have a "deep cycle" life.  A deep cycle battery has a deep reserve but not much cranking amps for starting.

One of the experts on here will find you a good link or two for educating yourself about batteries.  If you're like me just keep reading............ eventually some of it sinks in and sticks.  Smile

An addendum to my earlier post: It just goes to show. DON'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING A SALESMAN TELLS YOU.  The more I think about it I can't believe that sales man even said "you don't need a battery".Censored
(and Brewer too)
2011 RP 177
SNO4ME View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2015 at 9:41am
Another addendum:  You have to watch your shipping with batteries.  Battery shipping is cheaper for sealed batteries such as Glass Mat because they don't have the hazardous materials problems such as conventional lead acid batteries present. 

Keep reading, after a while things start to make sense. 

Sometimes I wonder where I would be with out the help of this forum.Confused
(and Brewer too)
2011 RP 177
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2015 at 10:12am
Originally posted by mesamie

I am buying the 2016 Rpod 179 model this week. The dealer informed me it does not come with the battery, it would be extra. He indicated he doesn't use his, but if he did buy one he would get a bigger one than what is provided/sold with the unit.
So first question, if I don't plan on dry camping, at least not for a while, do I need a battery, and if NOT, can I use the car battery for basic power ups ?
Second, if I should get one, should I get a bigger as he recommended ?

Seriously.. WALK AWAY. Find another dealer. If this is how he operates, you don't want to find out how they might be for service or warranty. Really. You don't.

Find another dealer.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>