Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWant tow vehicle recommendation for 179

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Want tow vehicle recommendation for 179
    Posted: 26 Aug 2015 at 7:50pm
I'm sure this has been asked and answered often, but I'd appreciate your advice....

My husband and I are trailer newbies who want to take our 8 yo granddaughter on road trips, working up to longer multi-state trips to see the country. We homeschool her, so we're looking forward to visiting historic sites, national parks, etc. during less crowded seasons.

So - before the trailer decision (179? 180? It's so hard to decide! We'll be borrowing or renting before buying) - we need a tow vehicle to replace my aging car. Most of the time, it will be used to transport just the two or three of us, so a Honda Pilot or Ford Flex (two that we've been looking at recently) seems like overkill. And we'd rather not spend that much, either.

We know an F150 or similar would handle the job nicely, but we're not in the market for a pickup. My husband loves his Ranger (12 years and 200,000+ miles!) and would not part with it. 

Is there a smaller vehicle that would safely tow a larger pod? Or is a midsize SUV/crossover better? Would love to hear about your experiences and favorites - I know there are lots of possibilities.

Thanks!
Pam

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2015 at 8:40pm
Welcome.  Any vehicle rated to tow 3500 pounds can tow either of those models.  HOWEVER, you can easily add 1000 pounds to the unloaded vehicle weights shown on the Forest River website, between add-ons, propane, clothes, kitchen stuff, food, and a full load of water.  You can just barely get away with it if you don't fill up the fresh water tank and don't overload on your "stuff".  But you are also then pushing the limits of your TV (tow vehicle).

Since your plan is to travel to the national parks and not just stay local, you really will want a bigger TV.  Getting up the mountains in the NE and the Rockies with the horsepower and torque you'll get with a TV rated to tow 3500 pounds will be painful - high RPMs and slow speeds.  I was there, pulling with a Sienna for a while.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2015 at 9:19pm
Welcome to the group!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
Up the Pitt View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2015 at 12:50am
We are towing our 2016 RPod 179 with a Nissan Frontier, 6 cyl. pick-up.  Our truck is rated to tow up to 6,000 lbs, and we feel it only *just* comfortably tows the 179 (which supposedly only weighs around 3500 lbs, + gear).  My take-away is that the larger RPods like the 179 need a sturdy, capable tow vehicle, especially where you plan to drive distances or in mountainous areas.  

Good luck with your shopping, for both RPod and tow vehicle! 
Traveling with Len (the fella) and Ted (the cat)
2016 RP 179 - 2010 Nissan Frontier (6-cyl)
http://www.upthepitt.com
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2015 at 8:10am
Don't buy a wimpy tow vehicle.

Just don't do it.

Unless, you anticipate not having enough stress during your planned travels.

I have a 325 horsepower V8. There are times I wish I had more power.
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2015 at 8:18am
I agree with the desirability of a larger tow vehicle.  Mine is rated at 5000 pounds tow capacity and it strains a bit going up a mountain pass in the Smokies.  It does very well the rest of the time, but if you plan on long hauls, especially over any kind of mountainous terrain, I'd highly recommend something more than the minimum rated TV.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
Camper Bob View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2015 at 10:13am
We recently traded up from a 2005 Chev. Tahoe with a big V8 and a towing capacity of 6,800 lbs  to a Nissan Pathfinder with a V6 and a towing cap. of 5,000 lbs.  Only difference is of course pulling long hills.  Wish I had the V8 but the 6 is adequate.  We have a 171 and I had weighed it with all our stuff, and only about 8 gals. of water.  Came in about 2.800 lbs.  Personally, I would not buy anything with less than a 5K towing capacity.  Others have purchased a T/V with a 3, 500 towing capacity  and find they usually want to upgrade to a larger tow vehicle.   Certainly with a lower towing capacity, mountains are a challenge.  Depends on where you want to go. 
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 LB. Mini Dachshund)
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
ronahue View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2015 at 2:32pm
We are towing our 179 with a 2015 Nissan Frontier SV V6 pickup and I feel it does an excellent job. As I noted in a previous post this, summer we went from Boston to Rifle, Colorado up to Steamboat Lake State Park, CO, Grand Teton NP and Yellowstone then back to Boston. No sway control or equalizer hitch installed or needed. Could I have used a little more power on I-70 west of Denver sure but that was the only place. I my opinion this truck is a good match for the 179. 
Ron & Sharon
2015 R-Pod 179
2022 Nissan Frontier

No trees were harmed in the sending of this message but a billion electrons were really agitated
Mountainrev View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2015 at 3:47pm
I would absolutely not call a Honda Pilot or a Ford Flex "overkill."  While they both have ample room for three people, I would consider them both just on the edge of being comfortable towing with them. 

Point of reference:  Our '04 Dodge Durango has a 4.7 liter V-8.  It did very well towing our former popup.  But after a 3,500 mile western road trip this summer, I have come to the realization that it is absolutely underpowered for towing our R-pod.  Long uphill grades were painful.  The engine was frequently threatening to overheat.  I was not comfortable at all towing with it. 

I assume you live in Washington State (given your screen name), and you state that you plan to visit National Parks.  Therefore, it seems safe to say that you'll be towing up some fairly serious grades.  My advice is to look for something that has at least 300 h.p. and 300 ft. lbs. torque.  If you don't want a pickup, then you will likely end up having to get an SUV that has more interior room than you think you need.  However, I have never, ever heard of anyone saying, "I wish we hadn't gotten a tow vehicle with that much power," or, for that matter, "I wish we hadn't gotten a tow vehicle that was so roomy." 

Some models to consider would include the new Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon, Ford Expedition, or Jeep Grand Cherokee.  I'm sure there are many others that could do the job, too, and I'm sure others will chime in with their recommendations.  But no matter what anyone says, I truly believe that you don't want to cut it close on the towing capability margin. 
2014 177
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee Turbodiesel

"I lift my eyes to the hills."
ToolmanJohn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2015 at 5:29pm
Shop for torque when purchasing a tow vehicle and you'll be fine. Over 300 lb/ft is ok. More than 350 is very OK.

The real issue is that you want a vehicle that can 1)"do it all", 2) not be a pickup truck, and 3) not be expensive. You get to choose two of those.

A used V8 SUV will cost some money but will be fuel thirsty all the time.
A diesel SUV will be a Jeep, or German. Both are expensive, the Jeep starts near $40k+.
A used diesel SUV will cost a lot to maintain once out of warranty.

I think if you can find a SUV with a large powerful gas V6, with a tow rating over 5000+, near 300lb/ft of torque, it will be the best bet. It will always be a compromise somewhere. Drive safe.
2017 ATC 7X20 Custom Toy Hauler
2013 R-Pod 177 (SOLD)
2013 VW Touareg TDI
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>