R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhere do you get your water?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Where do you get your water?
    Posted: 06 Sep 2015 at 7:34am
For those of you who are on the road, where do you get your water when camping at non-water locations.  Normally I don't haul much water (just enough for bathroom use and hand washing) but if I needed to fill my tank other than at a park or RV park, where do most of you get it?  I use the Allstays camping & RV app a lot, but at truck stops for example it usually only mentions if dump sttions are available.  Nothing about fresh water.  What creative ways have you found to get fresh water while on the road?
Dana & Regina
Fleetwood & Jasper
2014 181-G
2014 Silverado 4X4
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2015 at 11:31am
Since weight is a small factor affecting mpg and performance I always haul a full tank from home for weekend trips.  For long trips we prefer state/national parks which usually - but not always - have potable water somewhere.  Part of our trip planning is finding out where we have water "gaps", so we don't go more than 2 nights w/o.  That might be a night at a truck stop, a night at a dry state park, then at one with water or a commercial campground.  
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Mountainrev View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2015 at 12:03pm
The weight of a full tank of fresh water may not affect MPGs all that much, but it definitely can cause sway issues!  If your R-pod is like my 177, the fresh water tank is located behind the axle.  A full tank will significantly lighten the tongue weight.  I will not drive more than 50 miles or so with a full tank for that reason. 
2014 177
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee Turbodiesel

"I lift my eyes to the hills."
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2015 at 1:39pm
I can see that being a problem. I dealt with bad sway with a popup we owned years ago - you sneezed wrong and it would sway. If you must carry your water you can try shifting weight forward to counteract it. Move the spare tire and anything else heavy onto the dinette.

Do you have a sway bar or WDH with sway control?
Mountainrev View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2015 at 3:35pm
Not sure if your question was directed to me or the OP, Doug, but I do have a sway bar.  But I'm not going to push it.  A full fresh water tank weighs nearly 300 lbs.  You'd have to shift a lot of weight to offset that!  There are a few Forest Service campgrounds in my area that do not have water available.  They are not far from my house (20-40 miles), and I keep the speed way down.
2014 177
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee Turbodiesel

"I lift my eyes to the hills."
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2015 at 8:34pm
It can be fixed - the presence of sway just means the setup needs to be tweaked to get the tongue weight right again, getting the nose down slightly, etc.
ToolmanJohn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2015 at 6:02am
I fill up at home. Usually 240 miles to my destination, 99% highway . My TV is heavy (5000 lbs ), plus I use a sway control, never had sway problems. But a full tank behind the axle can induce short duration undulating (porpoising) over certain parts of highway. They are brief but settle down real quick.

I don't care for topping off the fresh water from a hose at an unknown source. The campgrounds I use usually have no dump stations. So I tow everything home and stop at a public dump station at a state rest area 9 miles from home, dump the black and gray, and drain the fresh at home on the driveway if anything is left.
2017 ATC 7X20 Custom Toy Hauler
2013 R-Pod 177 (SOLD)
2013 VW Touareg TDI
Grayotter View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2015 at 4:32pm
I don't trust unknown water sources either. Before attaching our water hose to a supply outlet, we run the supply water a couple seconds, stop it, then spray Clorox on the threads of the supply outlet. After that we fill our water. We're open to safer suggestions.
Gar

Love2 1der
hammockmadness View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2015 at 7:38am
I use Clorox spray on everything also.  Usually give my blacktank hose ends a good spray everytime also.
Dana & Regina
Fleetwood & Jasper
2014 181-G
2014 Silverado 4X4
SNO4ME View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2015 at 8:46am
Most of the time we make sure water is available where we're going and just carry 5-10 gal for "emergencies". Most places the water is good enough so that's the way we roll. I'm fussy about the taste of water so away from home we use bottled water.  (we live in the country with our own well)
When we go to our favorite local NFS Campground we put 20+ gal on board because the water has a tint to it.
Bruce & Donna in the Sno Pod
(and Brewer too)
2011 RP 177
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>