R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDIY Sewer Hose Storage Install - Event Date: 06 Sep 2015

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: DIY Sewer Hose Storage Install
    Posted: 06 Sep 2015 at 1:13pm
I want to attach a 5" square plastic fence post under my 179 that runs the width of the trailer for sewer hose storage. Has anyone done the same and most importantly how did you attach to the rv frame beams? I'm concerned about drilling any holes in beams to attach. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Missouri Matt

Q7-retired View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2015 at 1:41pm
I did this mod, and it turned out very well.  I found that the front-to-back box beams that form the structure of the R-pod) are very hard steel.  I broke at least two drill bits, though that could have been from not drilling straight as I laid under the frame.  I used stainless steel hardware throughout.  To mount the tubes into the frame, I drilled larger holes in the bottom and screwed upward with a long screwdriver, retaining the tube with screws and washers.  A couple of pictures attached; please let me know if you need more information.

Best regards, Jim
2015-RP178
TV 2015 Audi Q7 TDI and 2017 Ford F150
At home in "Our Pod"
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2015 at 2:01pm
Nice!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
mcclurey View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2015 at 4:33pm
This is great information as this is what I had in mind. I think... If I interpret correctly you drilled a larger hole in bottom of fence post so you could then reach through and drill a small tap hole into beam and place a stainless steel screw with washer. One on each end or two screws on each end?
Missouri Matt

WillThrill View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2015 at 6:40pm
Originally posted by mcclurey

I want to attach a 5" square plastic fence post under my 179 that runs the width of the trailer for sewer hose storage. Has anyone done the same and most importantly how did you attach to the rv frame beams? I'm concerned about drilling any holes in beams to attach. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Rather than use a fence post, I used a sewer hose storage tube from Camping World. It was about $20 on sale.

To attach it, I simply used long zip ties. They weren't long enough to go all the way around the frame, so I snapped a couple together and then attached the tube to those with a third zip tie. It has worked perfectly well, and after many miles of driving, the zip ties have not budged. I might need to replace them several years from now, but I doubt it. I got them tight enough that they aren't moving much at all, and good zip ties are very strong. It took about 10 minutes.
"Not all those who wander are lost." Tolkien

2014 Hood River 177
2005 GMC Envoy XL
Happy Tripping View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2015 at 8:36am
Do a 'search' for sewer hose pipes.

Why rectangular??

I bought a long tube -  http://www.dwincorp.com/products/82/Super-Tube and 4 screws.  I have no experience with the 'super slider' version but it looks good.

From 'ToolmanJohn' - Galvanized or zinc plated 1/4" Steel Hex Head self tapping lag bolts and stainless washers. Mark the hole locations with a pen, use hammer and punch to pre-spot the hole, drill small (1/8" ) hole first , then 80% the diameter of the lag screw. The lag screw will then be easier to drive, no danger of breaking or "walking" away from the location you spotted. 

Good Luck.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2015 at 8:07pm
Originally posted by mcclurey

This is great information as this is what I had in mind. I think... If I interpret correctly you drilled a larger hole in bottom of fence post so you could then reach through and drill a small tap hole into beam and place a stainless steel screw with washer. One on each end or two screws on each end?

Sorry for the delay in replying.  Yes, you have that right, but my sequence needs a little explaining.  I knew I couldn't lie under Our-Pod and blindly drill and screw upwards.  So, I first measured the side-to-side dimension of the beam centerlines, marked it on the plastic tube, drilled the larger holes, then use that as the template to drill the smaller holes.  THEN, I laid in the mud and drilled/ screwed!  When I get a moment, I'll take a picture of the holes.

I like the "Happy Tripping" process of marking, punching, pre-drilling and final drilling.

For "Happy Tripping," the size of the square tube fits the sewer piping rather nicely.  Also, a square tube is easier to work with in this process than a round, constantly moving tube.  And sincerely, the square tubes appeal to my aesthetic sense, i.e., I like them!

Having used this now on three camping trips, I am very pleased with it.
Best regards, Jim
2015-RP178
At home in "Our Pod"
mcclurey View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2015 at 10:02pm
Perfect! I appreciate your detailed sequence explanation. I'm going with 2 tap screws on each end spaced 3" apart. (I'm using a 5" square vinyl post cover) Punch, pre-drill, then 80% drilled per diameter of tap screw like you suggested. Then I've pre- drilled larger holes in fence post measuring from center 1-1\2 in. on each side of centerpoint. It appears its going to all work out. Just need to get R-pod out of off-site storage and start the install. I also agree that the square storage looks better and will be easier to install. I've also started the process of applying several coats of exterior grade black spray paint.

Thanks again for all your help!
Missouri Matt

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 6:14am
One last note:  I bought an 8 foot fence post cover, but the sewer pipe only needs 6.5 ft or so.  As you can see form the photos above, I used the other 1.5 feet for a fittings storage area.  Lock nuts and plastic spacers were found at the local handyman big box store.  Four fence post caps provide the closure at each end of the tubes.
Best regards, Jim
2015-RP178
At home in "Our Pod"
ron_whitt View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 7:08am
Folks, I bought a 20ft sewer hose, an end piece that fits and locks onto the outlet's of the trailer, from our local rv place. Put the 2 together, and it fits into the factory tube with a couple of inches left over. This is my first year of using this and so much easier than doing what you all are doing. Gone out 7-8 times so far, and works great. If after a while it seems to have stretched I'll just cut off what ever doesn't fit and still have way more than the 10ft that came with the trailer.
Ron & Shirley
2020 Tacoma
2012 177 rpod
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>