R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > Non-pod Discussion Forums > Mods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBroken suspension

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Broken suspension
    Posted: 18 Oct 2015 at 5:08pm
Took it for a test tow yesterday and I definitely feel an improvement.  No "lumbering" back and forth (the top swaying left-right), more stable overall.  I didn't get a perfect test though, since I didn't do what I always do before a trip - check the tire pressure.  All of the tires were fairly low so it should feel even more stable next time I put it on the road.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2015 at 8:40pm
I'm hoping for that.  I'll find out tomorrow.
David and Danette View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2015 at 5:58pm
   Looks good! That was a big job, now you have a little more ground clearance. With stiffer springs I think that it would handle better towing. Thumbs Up
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2015 at 3:33pm
Yipee-kayay! DONE. WOW that was a big job. I'll take it for a test tow tomorrow and then check it over to make sure nothing worked loose. Can't wait to get a larger air compressor for those air tools.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2015 at 9:10pm

3 springs down, one to go.  You can see the proper bend in the new spring, and the flat old spring.  It even has a slight bend in the wrong direction on the uppermost leaf, on each end.  Now with both new springs on the left side it is sitting 2 1/2 inches higher than the right side.  Hope to continue tomorrow!
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2015 at 2:50pm
The rest of the rust was just surface rust so I wouldn't worry too much about it if you have a camper with springs. The pods have torsion suspensions.

I think the root cause here was undersized and/or defective springs. Seeing the new one next to the other 3 older springs (that are completely flat under load) makes it obvious all of them need to be replaced. One of them even has a slight bend on the upper leaf in the wrong direction. The new one has a noticeable bend upward like it should.

Which is why I took a deep breath - knowing how much labor was involved to change just the one broken spring - and ordered 3 more. These are all rated at 2600 pounds (10,400 total) so far more than the actual load of around 7000 pounds when it is ready for a trip. All new mounting bolts, too. I am re-using the u-bolts and tie plates although as I was removing a bunch of stuff yesterday I managed to snap one of the u-bolts. Ordered another today and that wasn't easy to find with the specs I needed.

Yesterday I picked up an air tool set to help with the labor, a good excuse. My air pump isn't big enough so that will need to be updated eventually, but it is enough to help a bit for now.

The adventure continues.
johnmaci View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2015 at 8:00am
I may have to add: "Spraying the leaf springs with WD40 at the end of each season" to my winterizing checklist
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2015 at 10:13pm
After multiple parts snafus everything arrived and I started on it today.  Of course after getting all the old bolts off I found that the U-bolt/tie plate kit I ordered fits with the spring but doesn't fit over the axle!  So I'll be reusing the old one.  So far I got the spring mounted but I ran out of daylight before I got the axle attached.

You can see what happened with this picture (this is how it is mounted on the camper).  The spring leaf on the bottom is the shortest leaf, and the end you see is how it came from the factory.  The one above it snapped at some point in the past, it was already rusty when I discovered the problem.  Once that happened the top 2 leaves took all of the abuse and kept bending at that same spot until the one 2nd from the top snapped and I'm sure the top one gave way soon after.  Those 2 had fresh breaks with no rust.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2015 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by techntrek

I must have ticked someone off!

Well, the camping gods may be gnashing their teeth against you but, somebody up there must like you. As you mentioned in the first post, had the whole thing let go....the possibilities are too horrible to speak of. Glad to learn you are on the road to getting things sorted out.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2015 at 8:42pm
Got it on jack stands this afternoon on the damaged side.  Both wheels rubbed through the plastic above them but no other damage.  Possibly some abnormal wear on the tires but I need to compare them to the ones on the other side to be sure, later.  The springs have four leaves and the 2nd smallest snapped off where the smallest ends, some time in the past since the sheared edge was rusted.  That left a bend point for the 2 largest leaves where they both failed this weekend (no rust on the sheared edges).

I took all the measurements and ordered a new spring and bolts/nuts.  Forgot to get new U-bolts and nuts so I may try to reuse them if they come off cleanly.

I must have ticked someone off!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>