R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Warranty, Service and Recall Bulletins
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed: Brand new 2016 RPod 179 is leaking like a sieve!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBrand new 2016 RPod 179 is leaking like a sieve!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
TigerPawd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brand new 2016 RPod 179 is leaking like a sieve!
    Posted: 30 Oct 2015 at 5:35pm
Lots of rain in south Texas too.  After reading through this string, I went out and checked our #179.  We have a runner from the door to the fridge and one edge (next to the cabinets) was damp after this morning's heavy rain and high winds.  Had not noticed that before.  The top of the cabinets was dry.  The damp area was just about in the middle between the door and the fridge.  I couldn't find a problem around the door caulking.  Not much to go on. 

When the Pod was new, the dealer replaced the fridge and did not do a good job of sealing around the top.  It's usually good to check out the work of others, so I got that sealed with silicone as soon as I spotted it.  Unfortunately, I didn't check the sides or bottom.  When things dry out, those areas will get a good check out. 

We have had heavier rains since we got the pod, and strong winds too, but not at the same time.  The winds were blowing toward the slide-out side, so maybe that is where the leak is, but I'll go over the door caulking too.  Sounds like it's mostly a #179 problem. 

Thanks for the heads-up!
Joan, Jerry and the two Pugs
2015 R-Pod 179
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2015 at 7:19pm
Fairly typical for slide-outs.  I've had the same problem several times with our Salem.  Angling the slide side down does help.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Tammy C. View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2015 at 2:03pm
I have a new 2016 RPod 179 that I bought earlier this month.  After hearing about leaking issues, I sealed all the tops and sides of the windows with clear silicone sealant.   I didn't seal the bottom so that the water could escape out the bottom (hopefully outside!).   It started raining a few days ago and I went out to check to see if I had any leaks.   The windows were doing fine - no leaks.  However, I had my slide out rolled out,  and I think where the RPod is parked the roof of the Rpod is sloping slightly toward the Rpod. There was a significant leak around the slide.  I think water was coming off the roof, down the side of the slide, and hitting the horizontal sliders and running right inside.   I pulled in the slide out, and since then, no leaks at all.   At least now I know before another rain comes that if I have the slide out, I need to make sure the camper is slightly sloped down toward the slide, and not the other way around.   Good lesson to learn.  
2016 R pod 179
2011 Volvo XC 60
Commander203 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2015 at 10:02am
I'rm sure other trailers have some of the same issues, not just the Pods. So let's not be discouraged, get it repaired and let's enjoy our adventures.

I hope you have a safe trip and even though you have a water leak issue with your Pod, enjoy your trip.
Mike & Erin
2013 Tundra 4.6L V8 (Tow PK)
2006 Honda Goldwing GL 1800
2005 Honda VTX 1800N
TXkids View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2015 at 9:06pm
Thanks for the prompt reply. Yes, our sealing strip is also unglued and quite wet behind it. Thanks for educating me about the moisture meter and also what you were told. I am hoping this can be rectified to at least stop the leak in Chatanooga. I agree about the quality. They seem to be thrown together. This is our second RV, the first was a Little Guy T@B which we owned for about 8 months before the upgrade. I hope we get these issues fixed and don't run into any more!! Happy camping!
Trish
Up the Pitt View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2015 at 8:13pm
TXkids,

So sorry to hear this happened to you, too.  Your leak sounds exactly like ours, in the exact same area in our 2016 RPod 179 (kitchen window).  We had the leak repaired by our dealership last month, and they seem to have done so successfully (more on the "fix" shortly).  What they found is that Forest River had sealed the area around the kitchen window with a foam gasket instead of a putty type gasket. They replaced the Forest River "seal" with a putty-type seal, and that seems to have stopped the leak.  I'm not sure what to tell you about a temporary fix which won't void your warranty, but the warranty is very short for leaks with these RPods, in any case.  

When our dealership fixed the leak around our kitchen window, they did so without doing anything to dry out the water which had (during the period of the leak) seeped into the two walls adjoining the kitchen counter. When we picked up the Rpod after it had supposedly been fixed, we asked them to run a moisture meter along these walls, and the moisture level was off the charts (at the far end of the red, or "problem" end of the dial). We were scheduled to take a trip ourselves, so we took the Rpod away at that point, and planned to take it back for moisture remediation following our trip.  The Rpod is back at the dealership now to have the moist walls addressed (and some sealing strips inside the kitchen which had peeled away due to the moisture replaced).  I'm not sure exactly what they're planning to do, but they've referred to "opening up the walls". 

I am a complete newbie to both RVs and RPods, but my overall assessment is that the workmanship that goes into building these RPods is questionable. Ours feels literally slapped together (you can see evidence of that everywhere in the interior).  I still love it, but its sobering to realize that the kitchen leak we experienced will likely not be our last. 

Enjoy the rest of your trip, and good luck dealing with the overall repair when you get home!

Deborah & Len

Traveling with Len (the fella) and Ted (the cat)
2016 RP 179 - 2010 Nissan Frontier (6-cyl)
http://www.upthepitt.com
TXkids View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2015 at 7:29pm
We are experiencing the same issue. We purchased our 2016 Rpod 179 outside Cincinatti in July. Made the trip back home to Texas and all was fine, but no rain. Now there have been rains at home but no notice of any leaks. Just had family members visit and use at home. Radio had quit working. Loading up for this trip noticed AC not blowing from one vent. Accessed trailer today, day 1 of a three week trip, to notice everything soaking wet on counter near sink and cabinets under neath. Cleaned up the mess, attempted to pinpoint leak and thought I had, to the top of the window seal. Stopped at Lowe's and purchased a wide weather stripping. Dried everything off above seal and put in place. Just pulled in to campground about half hour ago. Rain started up again. So did the leak. We are scheduled at Camping World in Chatanooga for the radio exchange. I'm hoping they can remedy this issue and the AC too. Biggest problem is we are due to be in rain all the way to Chatanooga. Any other ideas? I did not want to silicone or such for fear it might void my warranty.
Trish
Grayotter View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2015 at 10:41am
This happened to me. I had water going on the sink and leaking onto the floor, while my pod was stored. I put silicone sealer on the top 3 sides and still leaked. While parked, I didn't think water would enter from the bottom of the window. It did. I sealed the bottom of the window and the leak quit.

Happy Traveling Trails...
Gar
Love2 1der
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2015 at 8:40pm
Double ditto.  Cover it with a tarp pronto until you get it to the dealer (and then tarp it again).
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2015 at 12:53pm
Ditto!!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179