R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSchool me - 12v to 110 outlet

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: School me - 12v to 110 outlet
    Posted: 14 Oct 2015 at 10:52pm
Would someone please give me the "for dummies" version of what I need to convert one of the outlets to run off of 12v so that I can use a small appliance or charge my phone, etc.
Old: 2014 177 HRE
2015 Tacoma V6 4x4 Double Cab
New: 2016 EVO ATS 200rd
2016 F150 4x4 Sport
Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2015 at 6:33am
Please define "small appliance" Some small appliances draw big power. Many of us just tap a 12v power and install a 12v socket and USB charging port. I also have a 150w MSW inverter to power the DTV. 
Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
(1/2 ton 5,800lb tow capacity)
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2015 at 8:28am
You're too vague, so I'm guessing here.  You can't convert a 120v outlet to 12v.  (You could, but there are codes and common sense issues that totally prohibit it.)  If you have shore power and want to use a 12v appliance you could get a converter to convert 120v AC to 12v DC.  The conversion process wastes amps and is a drain on your battery.  A simpler thing would be to wire in a 12v "cigarette lighter" outlet off of the pod's breaker/fuse box that pulls 12v directly from the pod battery (no conversion).  That way you would always have 12v ready to go.  Beware of power drains.  Running a high load appliance could run your battery down, leaving you to have to crank the slide in by hand and possibly damage your battery.  If you have shore power, there are little USB things that plug into the 120v outlets that will let you charge your phone, etc.

You are talking about running a 12v appliance on 12v, right?  Some people don't understand the difference between 12v DC and 120v AC and seem to think they could plug a 120v coffee maker into a 12v outlet and get coffee.  Not so.  (And a 12v coffee maker would probably blow a fuse or drain your battery.  They draw so much power you just about have to pop the hood on your vehicle and hook them directly to your car battery with alligator clips while the vehicle is running.)

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
GLBCamper View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2015 at 12:48pm
Sorry. I should have been more specific.

I wouldn't want to plug in much more than the television or the phone charger. I was also thinking a blow dryer, but I understand that has quite a draw.

I did a little research and what I want is one of those modified sine wave inverters with two 110 outlets and a couple of USB outlets. Some come with alligator clips to connect directly to the battery. BUT, ideally, I would like to mount it under the bench that has the converter in it. I just don't know what to connect it to inside the pod without running those alligator clips out the window or what. Or if it can be done. That's where I feel like a "dummy."

Secondly, if possible, I would like to wire that inverter directly to the dual 110v outlet that is already coming out of that bench, so that I can just plug the television directly into that outlet and leave the lid on the bench with the inverter in it. Effectively making that one outlet a 12v outlet. 

I do understand that I would want to turn off the inverter when not in use.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
2016 F150 4x4 Sport
GLBCamper View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2015 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by Tars Tarkas

A simpler thing would be to wire in a 12v "cigarette lighter" outlet off of the pod's breaker/fuse box that pulls 12v directly from the pod battery (no conversion).

I think it's possible this is one solution. 

If I wired a 12v "cigarette Lighter" outlet, then I could just plug the MSW inverter into that and use the 110v plug on the inverter to plug in the television.

Can you point me to instructions on how to wire the suggestion above?
2016 F150 4x4 Sport
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2015 at 3:29pm
If you want to wire in a 12v outlet, I suggest this one. LINK

As far as wiring, it's 12v. You run a + from the positive side of the fuse box, and the - back to the 12v negative buss bar.

Using the outlet I linked, you have 12v, and 5v USB charge, available all the time. If you are going to use an inverter to power a modern flat screen TV, you are going to need a pure sine. They often won't run on modified. 150watts is more than enough.

Also to answer your original question... You can't "run a 120v outlet" on 12v. Now.. for a lot of money, and needing a much larger TT to house everything.. you can run a switched system with inverter that keeps 120v available all the time. But such a system will run $3000 or more, and weigh 400 plus pounds.
GLBCamper View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2015 at 5:19pm
Looks simple enough. So, is my thinking right that I can then just plug a PURE sine inverter (thanks for the tip) into that outlet?

I was looking at this:

http://www.amazon.com/Samlex--15S--12A-DC-AC-Inverter/dp/B003FWPU5K/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1444944496&sr=8-4&keywords=Samlex+pure+sine+inverter
2016 F150 4x4 Sport
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2015 at 5:24pm
Yes. Once you install a 12v outlet, properly, you can then plug any 12v accessories into it you want, as long as they don't draw more power than the outlet and wiring is rated for. Then they will blow the fuse.

If you look inside your power distribution box, you should find 2-4 open slots on the 12v side for new circuits.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2015 at 8:51pm
Actually modern electronic power supplies work fine from modified sine wave, and many will even run from a DC input.  However, pure sine wave inverters are more efficient running AC loads so they are still the best choice.  One of the best small PSW inverters on the market is this one (below).  No fan, fully sealed.  However, it is 300 watts where you really only need 150 to charge a laptop and a few cell phones, or run the television.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Don Halas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2015 at 5:55pm
I bought the 12 volt USB receptacle from Amazon.  It's mounted below the TV on the wall left of the door (Rpod 178).  It was easy to wire to an open terminal on the power supply below it.   I also added the wood to the right to strap two cell phones to for charging, keeping them off the limited space of the counter.

Be careful to move far enough to the corner 'cause there's a stud there.  My first hole hit the stud and I had to start again.  The hole was repaired and the wood for the phone charge station hides it also.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>