R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWinterizing the R-Pod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Winterizing the R-Pod
    Posted: 22 Nov 2015 at 1:11pm
I didn't see any mention of the black tank flush system. The hose connection outside of the trailer that is used to supply clean water while dumping black tank. Have others gone without anything done to this and had issues?
pnwcamper View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2015 at 9:55am
I winterized the R-pod 177 on Saturday for the first time. Read the instructions and watched the video from this site, which was very helpful. Took my time from start to finish was 1.5 hours which included gathering tools, antifreeze etc. Most likely will take half that time in the future. Used just shy of 1 gallon antifreeze.

Originally thought I would do the compressed air method but wanted to play it safe so used RV antifreeze. I did not blow out the lines with air as some have suggested not really necessary when using antifreeze. Seems to make sense to me if you are using antifreeze why blow out the lines?

Pretty straight forward procedure but we'll see this spring when I de-winterize.

One question, should I open a faucet to de-pressurize the waterlines?
2014 R-Pod 177
2009 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab 4.0 V6
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2015 at 10:24am
The main reason to blow out the lines is to remove as much diluting water from the lines. gets the strongest amount of anti-freeze in the lines. Everyone has their own threshold and view..
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2015 at 10:26am
Originally posted by Retiree-Pod

I didn't see any mention of the black tank flush system. The hose connection outside of the trailer that is used to supply clean water while dumping black tank. Have others gone without anything done to this and had issues?

It's a straight line with two open ends.. it doesn't/can't hold water.
pnwcamper View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2015 at 10:47am
Does anyone de-pressurize the lines after winterizing (open a faucet) or keep pressure in the water lines?
2014 R-Pod 177
2009 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab 4.0 V6
SNO4ME View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2015 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by pnwcamper

Does anyone de-pressurize the lines after winterizing (open a faucet) or keep pressure in the water lines?

I always depressurize.
IF there is a possibly of any water left in the lines it causes more damage when under pressure.
And I always use air to blow he lines out with a portable air compressor with the adjustable gauge.
IF there is any water left in the lines it would dilute the antifreeze.
I'm also very generous with the pink stuff.

Maybe I'm being anal but it's so much easier to be anal in the fall than to crawl around in uncomfortable positions playing "Joe Plumber" in the spring.  Smile
Bruce & Donna in the Sno Pod
(and Brewer too)
2011 RP 177
NMJohn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 11:01am
Our rpod dealer recommended the pink stuff over the air only approach because he said that the water pump is better remaining somewhat lubricated over the winter.  In another post someone mentioned leaving some pink stuff in the toilet bowl to lubricate the rubber seal there.  Both of these recommendations make sense to me.

Also, from my understanding of the problem with water, the main reason why it's harmful is that when it freezes it expands.  It seems to me if there's a little water at a low point and expansion under no pressure allows it to expand up the tube or in the bottom of a tank, there will likely be no damage.  Maybe I'm living dangerously with these thoughts, but it makes sense.  In a pump, or some spot under pressure, even small amounts could cause some damage.  Any comments?

John
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 3:44pm
The valve seats. The water will be trapped there with nowhere to go. In the spring you'll need new valves or a whole new faucet.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12