R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedChevy Duramax Turbo Diesel

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
kylekai View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chevy Duramax Turbo Diesel
    Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 11:12pm
I owned a 2011 Chevy Silverado 2500 with a Duramax diesel, and used it to tow my 2015 RPOD 179 which I bought a year ago.  The Chevy worked great for the first 20K miles, and then things started going wrong.  So wrong that it ruined a couple of vacation trips while towing the RPOD.  Most of the issues were covered under warranty, but they were problems that I felt should not have existed.

About six months ago I decided to get rid of the Chevy and buy a new smaller truck, like a RAM EcoDiesel.  When I saw the Chevy Colorado with a Duramax, I thought maybe I should look into it as well.  During one of the many times my Silverado was in the shop, I asked the head mechanic why is my truck so trouble-prone.  He said the 2011 was the first year for a major model change, and the first year production tends to have a lot of issues.  Each successive  year has less problems.  So I asked if he thought that'd be true with the new Chevy Colorado and the Duramax engine.  He said absolutely, since it's the first model year.  I ended up buying a 2016 RAM 1500 EcoDiesel.  I really like the truck, it's the 3rd production year, it's the right size, and gets close to 30 MPG. 

This is just my opinion and how I saw things.  I think you're wise to research your purchase.  Good luck!

1tulip View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 10:14pm
It may be premature to ask this... the engine was introduced last year in the Chevy Colorado and maybe not many rpod owners have tried towing with one.  However, Car and Driver and Kelly Blue Book are both raving about how it tows 7000 pounds, and develops 369 lb-ft of peak torque at 2000 rpm.   It's rated at only 181 hp, (which sounds lame...) but they say it tows like nobody's business and was specifically envisioned for this purpose.  (Being as how there is no other mid-sized truck that can come close.)  By comparison the V6 gasoline version in the same truck delivers its 383 lb-ft peak torque at 4100 rpm.  

Downside is that it is not exactly a fire breather in the acceleration department.  But I have a Subaru turbo (WRX) if I'm interested in getting between stoplights in a big rush.  

What do more experienced rpod owners think?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12