R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedOne Month In

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: One Month In
    Posted: 21 Dec 2015 at 10:10pm
We purchased a 2016 179 a month ago and have been on the road with it since then. I don't think we are very picky people but at this point we are pretty disappointed in the quality.
1. Why wasn't the tv put on a swivel arm? You can't see anything when laying in bed.
2. The mattress is extremely poor quality. Absolutely no support and it's already caved in on both sides (and we are average sized people).
3.   The "wood" piece under the fridge is junk and pulled out a bit the first time we opened the tilt-out.
4. The black water hose just split after using it about 5 times.
5.   The sink in the bathroom is almost useless....the faucet is so close to the edge of the very small basin so water goes everywhere if you use it for anything more than just running water.
6. The cushions on the couch don't stay on. The little bit of Velcro they put under them isn't nearly enough.
7. The air conditioner is very loud.

In general, everything seems to have been made as cheaply as possible. We were very excited to get this trailer but will sell it as soon as our trip is over. Won't be buying another one!

funks View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2015 at 10:57pm
well said!
ron_whitt View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2015 at 11:15pm
It is still under warranty. When you get back after your trip, take it to your dealer with ALL things written down and have them fix everything. #'s 3,4, your rv place will fix.   #1 when you bought it should have seen that problem, #2 did you lie down on the mattress before you bought it. We've all replaced the mattress or added foam to it. #5 design fault there for sure.#6 our 2012 didn't even come with Velcro, dealer might add more but not a hard one to fix yourself. #7 small trailer and it is loud. 99% of your experience is going to be with your rv place, I hope yours is a good one.   Good luck.
Ron & Shirley
2020 Tacoma
2012 177 rpod
aktraveler View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2015 at 6:47am
Thanks for your reply Ron. We wil definitely get everything fixed before we sell it. You are right, we probably should have noticed #1 but honestly never even thought to look at it. We did try the bed out and we both actually thought it was quite comfortable. I would say it only took a couple of weeks before it started to cave in.
I guess the point of my post was that in general they took shortcuts, used cheap quality items and didn't even consider the end user.
Lesson learned.
Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2015 at 7:09am
#1 ...that's about a $15 fix
#2 ...mattess comfort is extremely subjective...it's a starter mattess
#3 ...got any glue?
#4 ...the sewer drain hose doesn't have anything to do with the camper quality
#5 ...the bathroom sink is, what it is.
#6 ...not a bad idea to keep some velcro on hand, any how...
#7 ...having ac out in the middle of nowheresville in 100+ is a blessing, no matter what is sounds like

...it's a camper. If this list of issues is disheartening then sell, sell, sell. It's bound to get much worse! 
Smile Good luck Sir/Ma'am!
Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
(1/2 ton 5,800lb tow capacity)
johnmaci View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2015 at 7:47am
Unless you are buying an Airstream, it's not much different than purchasing a new home. 
The builders use "contractor grade" equipment and fittings that you end up changing anyway (Formica counter-tops, vinyl floors, chrome plated plastic faucets, Roper or other generic brand washer/dryer, etc.).
I have since replaced the issues that really bug me, and try to use the noisy AC as little as possible. You will need to spend some additional $ to make it comfortable for you.
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2015 at 9:07am
Unless you're spending hundreds of thousands and custom building an RV where you supervise every material and choice that goes into it, you will experience similar issues across any RV brand or manufacturer.  It's just the nature of the beast.

One thing on number 3 if your slide is extending too far and damaging that wood piece it is possible the slide stop has come loose, been pushed too far, or has perhaps even come off.
ronahue View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2015 at 10:50am
#3 we had a similar problem it is most likely the electrical cable to the slide and appliances getting caught on the kick board behind the piece of trim under the fridge. This would force the trim board out when the slide was open. I removed the trim and adjusted the wire ties several times until I got it just right then replaced the trim. Since then no problem.
Ron & Sharon
2015 R-Pod 179
2022 Nissan Frontier

No trees were harmed in the sending of this message but a billion electrons were really agitated
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2015 at 12:16pm
Sorry to hear of your troubles, but as mentioned, this is common on all RV brands. There are some things you can do to make the A/C quieter.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2015 at 1:49pm
The pod is, by design, small, light, inexpensive. You don't get Fort Knox on wheels with that. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>