Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Camping Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Whats pulling your RPod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 45>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Whats pulling your RPod
    Posted: 26 Nov 2023 at 10:45am
Originally posted by Gail

There is more than just dry weight of your R-pod to consider when choosing a tow vehicle and package to tow with, which I learned the hard and expensive way. You need to calculate the dry weight of the R-Pod and everything that goes into the R-pod ( ie: fresh water, grey water, black water, food, clothes, camp gear and the like) and everyone and everything that you have in the tow vehicle. You can find the manufactures specs for the towing compacity of your tow vehicle on-line
I highly recommend doing the research and the math to have a safe and enjoyable tow vehicle experience on the road with your R-pod.

Yep. It's best to use the GVW of the trailer when calculating the towing requirements. That, and the GVWR of the tow vehicle is usually the limiting factor. Out here in California, we also need to consider altitude, because some of the passes we go over run close to 10,000 feet, and normally aspirated engines have a hard time up there. For example, both our Tacoma and our F150 can pull our Rpod just fine, until you get to one of those mountain passes, then the turbo-charged F150 leaves the Tacoma in the dust.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
Gail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Gail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2023 at 2:43pm
I have an R-pod 195 2020, I did not do enough research when I bought it and discovered that my 2006 GMC Arcida was not the best choice to pull the R-pod 195. I then bought a 2018 Chevy Colardo v6 with factory tow package and have been very pleased with it. We did get a weight distribution hitch with sway bars and break assist installed and it works beautifully.
There is more than just dry weight of your R-pod to consider when choosing a tow vehicle and package to tow with, which I learned the hard and expensive way. You need to calculate the dry weight of the R-Pod and everything that goes into the R-pod ( ie: fresh water, grey water, black water, food, clothes, camp gear and the like) and everyone and everything that you have in the tow vehicle. You can find the manufactures specs for the towing compacity of your tow vehicle on-line
I highly recommend doing the research and the math to have a safe and enjoyable tow vehicle experience on the road with your R-pod.
Good Luck and happy trails with your R-pod or any towing adventures.    
Ally Cat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ally Cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2023 at 7:07am
Use a weight distribution hitch, it does wonders for towability.
malkbean2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote malkbean2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2023 at 5:55pm
yes the grand caravan 3.6L can pull a 176 Rpod up a mountain . Only place it ever was heavily challenged was approaching the Eisenhower tunnel on I70 going east at 11000 feet.
rpod 178
Grand Caravan
DD08 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote DD08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2023 at 4:31pm
I had the first drive yesterday in a 2021 F150 with the 6 CYL 2.7L Engine. 3.55 Axel. 

I see some also discussing some pricing on R Pods. I'm from Canada so we got the 2015 used about 5 times per year since for $15,000.00 

I couldn't find a single travel trailer in Canada of the same year and condition for under $20k 
Flydaddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Flydaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2022 at 7:47am
How does the Caravan do pulling up hills/mountains etc? MPG?
Thanks
Flydaddy
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2022 at 11:28am
Originally posted by CaliAL

2021 RP-196 towed with 2017 F150, 3.5L, 6 cyl, 6.5 bed, 2wd, 3.73 axle ratio.

Pictures or it didn't happen!

bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
CaliAL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote CaliAL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2022 at 1:26pm
2021 RP-196 towed with 2017 F150, 3.5L, 6 cyl, 6.5 bed, 2wd, 3.73 axle ratio.
TimK182G View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote TimK182G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2021 at 3:10pm
Originally posted by StephenH

No way! Range while towing is not going to be great. Stopping for gas every 100 or so miles (which we did when we towed with the Escape before we learned to slow down) is a lot faster than pulling into a charging station and then waiting for a free station that one can get to without unhitching, and then waiting however long it takes for the battery to charge and whatever price that will cost.

No that make sense.  I'm still weary on pulling the trigger on an EV, I do 500-1000 miles per week for my job so sitting for two hours waiting to charge if I'm on a long work road trip doesn't sound appealing.  Never mind the fact that pulling the pod will destroy the mileage.  A normal 5 hour r-pod trip with the gas truck may take 2-3 times as long with the current EV batteries.
2018 R-Pod 182G
2014 GMC Sierra 1500
Buckeye View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Buckeye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 5:22pm
Likewise...the POD is a great trailer. It is our first trailer, bought it at an estate auction, and have really enjoyed it. The previous owners had only used it three times. I agree: compared with tent camping, it is luxurious. My only complaint is having to climb over each other for the 3 am peeps.
Craig-retired teacher of the blind
Carol-retired legal admin asst
Spot and Sam-the miscreant Shih-tzus
"Politically incorrect with no real changes expected...”

Former 2017 Rpod 180
F150 5.0 4x4
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 45>