Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Camping Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Whats pulling your RPod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 45>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Whats pulling your RPod
    Posted: 17 Oct 2009 at 8:25pm
1997 Ford Explorer Limited SOHC with towing package 90,000 miles.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2009 at 8:30pm
Heyas all,

Lookin to get a 177 or 175....looking through the posts, don't recall seeing any S-10 pullers.

Anyone with experience or comments?  I have a '99 Chevy S-10 with 4.3 V6, about 180HP.  Cooling, electrical, shocks and brakes all new/replaced recently...thinking about a proportional brake controller/sway bar and a tranny cooler if we get the Pod.

Your input is appreciated!  Thanks!!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2009 at 9:13pm
I have a 1999 Jeep Cherokee straight 6 good condition. (190 horsepower) 100,000 + miles.  Have put on transmission cooler, trailer break controller, wiring and class III hitch.  Have had transmission serviced and 4X4 serviced.  I took all of these precautions for safety reasons.

Took the jeep to the dealer who agreed to let me drive it for several hours.  Drove it 75 miles over interstates, hills, back roads, two towns, with traffic,etc.  The little jeep handled the unit well.  It weighed 1,250 pounds.  Mileage going to dealer was 19.75 mpg.  Towing the rv was 14.8 mpg for the overall 75 miles.  It had good road handling and the brakes worked perfectly.  We placed an order for the unit and are excited.

The dealer will be putting on a weight distribution hitch which will include anti sway as well.  All for safety.

I hope this helps someone on their decision making journey.

Jack and Carol
uncanny View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote uncanny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2010 at 6:53pm
I have a similar RAV4 that I would like to pull an RPOD 175 with.  Wondering what your current experience is and what, if any, additions you have such as trailer braking and sway bars.
Brin View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2010 at 8:50pm
We hope to be purchasing  a used F250, diesel, 4WD truck to use for pulling the Rpod (among other things).  My husband doesn't feel comfortable using our Toyota Tacoma since we often travel to the Blue Ridge Mountains and have full water tanks.  Even with the tow package and transmission cooler, he feels as though too much towing will shorten the life of the tacoma.   We can really tell the Tacoma is working to get the Pod up the mountains.  I think it is just an excuse for him to get a diesel truck.
Terri and Craig and Panzer
2009 - 175 RPod
2000 Ford F250 XLT Extended Cab Diesel
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2010 at 7:10am
Originally posted by Brin

We hope to be purchasing  a used F250, diesel, 4WD truck to use for pulling the Rpod  I think it is just an excuse for him to get a diesel truck.

Guys would never resort to those sort of sneeky tactics to get something we want!!!  It runs completely contrary to the "guys' code of ethics".  He would no doubt be deeply hurt if he were to find you even suggested such a thing! LOL

What's pulling my Pod:
2009 Chevrolet Silverado
5.3L V8, Flex Fuel, 315 HP, Active Fuel Management*
Super Duper towing package w/ 3.42 rear gears & HD suspension
Prodigy brake controller

* if it doesn't need all 8 cyl. - it turns off four and runs on four.

I'd better get back to work and do something productive for the Company - so I can pay for the above!
sylviablue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote sylviablue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2010 at 9:49am
Big smile Currently we are towing with a 2009 RAV4, 6 cylinder, factory tow package.  It's okay for Florida which is flat.  Looking to buy a Nissan Frontier, 6 cylinder, rated for 6000+ pounds so we can hit the mountains in future.
four peas
jjbescher View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote jjbescher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2010 at 10:18am
I am pulling the 173T with a 2003 Honda Pilot, with towing package.  Turns out that Honda did not install a 7-pin adapter till the 04 Model.  Also have Prodigy electronic brake controller.

The one time I have pulled it, did not seem to put much strain on the engine.  It seems to be getting about 1/3 less gas then normal, but not too bad.
'10 R-pod 173T. TV - '03 Honda Pilot
sylviablue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote sylviablue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2010 at 9:44am
We didn't add anything to the RAV4 since it has the factory tow package and so far, so good.  Still we think we would like more power so will get the truck soon for those out of state trips.
four peas
photog View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote photog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2010 at 11:51am
Originally posted by

Is anyone pulling their RPod or know of a similar trailer being pulled with a class 2 hitch. I called Draw Tite and was told the class 2 hitch that I have would be strong enough to pull the RPod 171 . I don"t want to switch to a class 3 unless I need to. Confused David and Danette

What are you using for a tow vehicle? On some you would be fine  with a class 2 and on others you will need a class 3.
Heinrich and Elly
2010 Dodge Dakota Crew Cab
2010 Prime Time Tracer 205M
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 45>