Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Camping Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Whats pulling your RPod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 45>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote David and Danette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Whats pulling your RPod
    Posted: 09 Feb 2010 at 8:36pm
 photog, We just recently replaced our class 2 with a class 3. The 3,500 tow capacity was good with the class 2, but the tongue weight capacity was 300 Lbs. we needed more. The class 3 we chose is a Valley hitch 4,000 Lb. tow capacity and 400 Lb. tongue weight capacity. The Vue is rated at 3,500 LB. tow capacity and 350 hitch weight capacity. What we did was move the spare tire and mounted it to the left side of the trailer tongue. That changed the trailer tongue weight to 300lbs. unloaded. We are safer now, we learned a lesson the axle is like the center of a scale, you move weight from one side to the other it makes a big differance. The spare tire and the mount the trailer came with is heavy, I weighed it but forgot the weight. The new mount I put up front is lighter.    David and Danette
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

Brin View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2010 at 11:01pm
As of yesterday, we have a new (to us) TV.   2000 Ford F250 XLT, diesel.  Husband felt that this would be a better option than the Toyota Tacoma (we did have swaying issues with it).  We tend to go to the mountains and he felt that this will do better.  It is beautiful but big.    I think he just wanted a newer bigger truck that was diesel. 

The poor little Pod is under snow in the background.

Terri and Craig and Panzer
2009 - 175 RPod
2000 Ford F250 XLT Extended Cab Diesel
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2010 at 4:49pm
Congratulations!  Nice rig Smile.  I think you guys could probably tow 3 or 4 Pods, if you wanted!
rpodcamper.com View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote rpodcamper.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2010 at 9:21pm
Now if I could only get my wife to think that an F250 would be a good replacement to my aging ford Ranger.  Right now I'm looking at all kinds of trucks and SUV but keep coming up blank.
Brin View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2010 at 10:04pm
Originally posted by rpodcamper.com

Now if I could only get my wife to think that an F250 would be a good replacement to my aging ford Ranger.  Right now I'm looking at all kinds of trucks and SUV but keep coming up blank.

I would think  a 250 would be a great change from the Ranger.    Craig had a Ranger years ago and I don't think it would ever have been able to pull the Rpod.  The Tacoma does well on level ground but since we often go to the mountains and need full water tanks, he was afraid that towing it at that level would wear out the Tacoma too quickly.    Since we got a good deal on the F250 used, it seemed logical to replace the 1979 F150  that he drives during bad weather with it.  As you may have surmised, my husband is a truck guy and being a diesel mechanic, he had to have at least one vehicle that is diesel.   His job is to get us to where we are going and mine is to make us comfortable once we get there.    He is still trying to figure out how to pull the Rpod and take his motorcycle and my motorcycle with the side car with the truck.  Can't afford a toy hauler.  We are fortunate to have this kind of a problem.    Now if the snow would just go away, we could see how well the F250 handles the Pod.
Terri and Craig and Panzer
2009 - 175 RPod
2000 Ford F250 XLT Extended Cab Diesel
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote rpodcamper.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2010 at 10:21pm
i pull our r-pod with a trailblazer but would like a truck to use to carry the kayaks. 

Brin - they do have truck racks you can carry motorcycles on your truck.  Saw them at a motorcycle show a few years back.
lkysell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lkysell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2010 at 5:59pm
We have a 2010 173T RPod and we pull it with a 2009 Honda Pilot 2WD, (w/o the towing back from the factory)
Live life ~~ Love life
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote rpodcamper.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2010 at 12:56am
Welcome to the forum Lkysell 
tort and hare View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote tort and hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2010 at 11:45am

We pull our 175 with a Toyota 4Runner.  I've installed a transmission cooler and will be using a weight distribution hitch.  Since it's new, we have yet to take it out but it sounds like our mpg will be reduced dramatically.  I had never installed a transmission cooler before but it was fairly simple to do.  P.S. the Toyota has a V6 and I will not be using the overdrive.

Tortoise and the Hare
mountain mist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mountain mist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2010 at 8:43pm
The Escape Pod 171 will be towed by a Ford Edge with factory installed Class 2 tow package, max of 3500 lbs. Pick up day on the 10th of June.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 45>