Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Camping Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Whats pulling your RPod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 45>
Author
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote techntrek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Whats pulling your RPod
    Posted: 06 Jun 2010 at 11:06pm
Just got back from a fairly hilly trip.  Normally get around 21 mpg in our Sienna, this trip was about 12.5.  About right for most people that have 'pods.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
sylviablue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote sylviablue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2010 at 11:05am
We are now pulling with our Nissan Frontier V6 and got an average of 12.5 mpg on our trip to the ERU.  We can live with that unless gas keeps going up and up!
We had plenty of power in reserve. 
four peas
peachpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote peachpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2010 at 9:51pm
Just returned from our first trip!  We towed our 2010 R-Pod 173 with a 2010 Ford Escape 6 cylinder (3500 lb tow limit).  We went to FDR State Park in Pine Mtn., GA, which is somewhat hilly.  I could definitely tell the Peach Pod was behind us, but not as bad as I thought it would be.  We won't go anywhere fast, but it's doable.  Going 50-60 mph on 2 lane roads, we got around 11 mpg going (mild-moderate uphill grades many times), with food, etc. onboard, and 12 mpg coming home, fewer uphill grades, less food weight.  RPM's ranged from 2200-3500, depending on the grade.  I took it out of overdrive.

Before the trip, we took our Escape to have a tranny cooler installed and found out that it already had one (even w/out a factory tow package)! Smile  We have a Prodigy brake controller, class 3 hitch, and a sway bar.  Coming home from the dealer, we had no issues with swaying, even when passed by semis, going around 60 mph.

I'm under no illusion that this vehicle could pull this TT in steep mountains - not happening!  However, it's ok in the lower GA mountains and in FL where we do our camping.  
Beth and Joe
2011 Prime Time Tracer 195M
2010 Toyota Tacoma
TIDALWAVE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote TIDALWAVE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2010 at 9:52pm
Going from a 6-cylinder Jeep Liberty with auto-trans to a fairly large V8 Chevy pickup (6 speed auto-trans) gave me about a 4-mpg increase as long as I didn't need to use the 'tow-haul' feature.  Both the Jeep and the Chevy (in tow-haul) gave me about 11-12 mpg. 
I coming to believe that the various weights of the different Pod models makes no real difference
on mileage staying on flat stretches of highway.  It seems the 'frontal' area controls your mileage.
A friend of mine has a new A-liner trailer (which collapses down) which actually weighs more than my Pod and pulls it with an exact clone of my Chevy truck...he gets about 3 mpg more than I do. 
TIDALWAVE
GoofyNewfie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GoofyNewfie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2010 at 9:53pm
hey all.. how about this.. I picked up my R-Pod 172 is May this year, and was towing it was a 2003 Cavalier, 2 door, 2.2Ltr! I installed a Prodogy proportional brake controller, had a transmission cooler installed as well as a sway control bar, and to top it off... a class 1 hitch.. I found it to be pretty good actually.. it certainly slowed down when I got to a hill, but I took my time.. the tow capacity of the Cav was only 1000lbs.... it was the funniest thing you could ever see.. a Cav towing a Pod!
Last month I came across a great deal on a 2003 Rendezvous 3.4 V6 with TC of 3500lbs.. I bought it, installed the Prodogy in it and had a a Class III hitch installed, and I installed the wiring harness myself... I couldn't wait to hook on to the Pod... well WHAT A FRIGGIN DIFFERENCE!!! I kept forgetting that I was even towing anything! cant even feel sway, and the brake controller is adjusted perfectly... when applying the brake, the vehicle stops the same as it does when not towing...
Sold the Cavalier... but I miss the 'ol girl...

Goofie Newfie...

2010 RP-172
Tow Vehicle - 2003 Rendezvous
tdrace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote tdrace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2010 at 7:35pm
I have a 173 that I tow with a Hyundai Santa Fe v-6. I habe been all ove the mountains in NC and Tennessee.
No Problems!! I forget it is back there.  Happy Podding
tdrace's
2018 180
2010 FORD F150 V-8
equalizer e-2 hitch
Sisters on the Fly #1569
uphillracer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote uphillracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2010 at 1:47pm
I was concerned our 2002 Jeep Liberty 3.7L 4X4 wouldn't up to the task after 60,000 miles. I traded my Jaguar S-type for a 2008 Land Rover LR3.
BTW, we just booked FDR for a 3-day Thanksgiving getaway.
How did you enjoy it? WHat all was there to do there besides Callaway Gardens?
Thanks
Uphill, Di, Tracer & Jorja
2011 171
2008 LR3
sanjerga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote sanjerga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2010 at 11:28am
Have had our 177 for about four weeks.  Towing with a Tundra 5.7.  Went to florida towing the pod in the tow/haul option.  This kept the tranny from shifting a lot.  Stayed in the 62 - 64 MPH range and got around 12 MPG.  Did not even know the pod was behind me for the most part until I looked into the rearview mirror.  Next trip might try 60 MPH range.
Happy Trails!
Jerry & Sandy and an 8 lb Maltese dog
cane2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote cane2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2010 at 12:03pm
If you can keep your RPM down to 2500 or below you pick up a little more MPG but you wont be leading the parade.
saxack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote saxack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2011 at 9:06pm
Hi
I'm considering pulling a RPod 171 with my 2010 Jeep 4 door Wrangler Unlimited Sport. Are you still pulling yours with your Jeep? I'd like to know how it has been handling?
Thanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 45>