Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Camping Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Whats pulling your RPod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 45>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote David and Danette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Whats pulling your RPod
    Posted: 02 Feb 2011 at 10:00am
     There are few with Jeep Liberty's we have a 2010 Liberty. There was someone with a Wrangler on the other forum RPod Nation. Your engine is different though and your wheel base is different than the Liberty. You may want to try one of the Jeep forum's how others are towing with a Wrangler. Sorry I am not of more help.        David
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

pmjensen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote pmjensen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2011 at 7:41am
Nuestro Pod is entertaining the idea it wants a new tow vehicle.  Currently, the Nissan Frontier Crew Cab SV and the Toyota Tacoma Crew Cab PreRunner V6 are heading the list.  The primary question is does the Nissan need or would be better off if it had a transmission cooler?  
Thanks in advance for any help.
2011 R-176 Nuestro Pod
2014 Silverado
Kickstart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Kickstart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2011 at 12:51pm
Hey Jens,

I was contemplating the same decision last summer.  I live in Washington state, which is a pretty demanding area to tow. I ended up with an '06 Tacoma Prerunner Crew. Neither the Tacoma or Nissan have changed much since '05. The Tacoma does a fine job towing my RP 175. I have a friend who tows a 25 foot Jayco with his Frontier (WOW!), and is satisfied with how it does. Don't expect great gas mileage with either (10-13 mpg towing and 19-22 in the daily world for my Tacoma).

If you get a new Tacoma, demand that the dealer does the TSB on the rear springs, as the Tacomas are a little lightly sprung. Buying used, I didn't have this option, so I'm grudgingly going back to a WDH, especially  since I've ordered risers for our 175.

You might want to check out TacomaWorld.com. They have lots of info in their forum lists--2nd generation and Towing in particular. There's gotta be a similar site for the Frontiers.  Also Trailer Boat Magazine had an article on towing with all of the mid sized pickups back in '05, and the specs for all of the mid sized trucks remain pretty much the same to this day.

I towed with v/8 pickups for many years, so I'm a little jaded, but I don't see how I could tow our RPod with anything less than the Tacoma or Frontier--at least when I consider what is required from a tow rig around here. 
tdrace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote tdrace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2011 at 9:03pm
I  am looking at a Ford F-150. They have a new v-6 that will pull 6700 lbs. Does  anyone have any thoughts?
tdrace's
2018 180
2010 FORD F150 V-8
equalizer e-2 hitch
Sisters on the Fly #1569
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2011 at 3:57am
Originally posted by tdrace

I  am looking at a Ford F-150. They have a new v-6 that will pull 6700 lbs. Does  anyone have any thoughts?
Personally, I'd go with a V8 - more HP and torque, but not a huge difference in mpgs.  However, I have not looked at the specs on the new Ford engines.  Although I'm a Chevy/GMC guy, Ford trucks enjoy a good reputation and have a loyal following.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2011 at 2:46pm
After reviewing data from other sites, seems the 5.0 might be the engine to have.  The 6.2 is not fuel efficient, the 3.7 V6 is decent hp, but perhaps not enough torque for those who tow.  The $700 extra EcoBoost gets only 1 mpg more than the 5.0.. with just 5 hp more!  Can you imagine how many years it would take to regain that extra cost?  But...the concern I have now is what some engineers say is the V6 EcoBoost's inherent smallness (fewer cylinders) to dissipate heat created by 365 hp.  Ford limited the speed of the EcoBoost on the Taurus and some are saying the inability to dissipate the extra heat through only 6 cylinders versus 8 in the 5.0 is the reason why!  Is this something I should worry about if I want to buy the EcoBoost, especially in a heavy pickup?  I welcome any suggestions because for the little gas savings (1 mpg) and the extra cost ($700), I worry about the long term reliability

I copied the above from one of the car sites I look at from time to time.  He kinds of sums up my view, plus there are 2 turbos to go wrong.  I'd like to see a small turbo-diesel.

My truck gets around 20mpg - city & county roads, no highway.  If you could get 2 mpgs more than me (22), at $3.00 per gallon, driving 15000 miles per year, you would spend $205 less than me (about $3.94 per week).   

(Now at home...finishing comments Smile)

With the above said, I am impressed with the horsepower and torque of this motor.  Really nice - the peak torque is low in the rpm range (about 2000, if memory serves).  So, the numbers say it should tow well.  The downside is EPA 16/21mpg (if memory serves), 2 turbos to maintain and the additional $700.

tdrace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote tdrace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2011 at 9:57pm

Thanks I am going to see if I can get a deal on a 2010 V-8- 5-4 engine. they have a lot of good deals right now. One dealership offered 11,000 off the sticker price. Wish me luck!Smile

tdrace's
2018 180
2010 FORD F150 V-8
equalizer e-2 hitch
Sisters on the Fly #1569
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2011 at 7:08am
Originally posted by tdrace

Thanks I am going to see if I can get a deal on a 2010 V-8- 5-4 engine. they have a lot of good deals right now. One dealership offered 11,000 off the sticker price. Wish me luck!Smile

Good luck!  That's about the kind of deal I got last year on mine.  I guess it's the "upside" of a still sluggish economy.  This was one thing that factored into my decision to buy.  I bought my 2009 the day after Thanksgiving, 2009.  They had a bunch of them, and if memory serves, they had not even started making the 2010s because of this.  I was lucky and found the exact option package that I wanted.  This made for a rather "lean" year in 2010.  But, with the title in hand, I'm a happy camper....and happier getting there too! Smile
AvalancheRpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote AvalancheRpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2011 at 7:58am
My 5.3L Avalanche (same drivestrains as a Silverado or Sierra) is rated at 15city, 21 highway. I don't see the benefit of having a 3.5L V6 with the complexity of two turbochargers (which is what ecoboost is) to get only 1 mpg more (16/22). The V8 is working far less and logically should last longer with lower maintenance bills.

We went to the Detroit Auto show in January and were surprised to see the GMC Terrain 4wd V6 rated at only 16/22 as well and thats a 3.0L!
David and Danette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote David and Danette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2011 at 7:58am
   As far as dissipating heat someone once told me that is a advantage the inline engines have over a V configuration of cylinders. There are some inline engines with enough horsepower to pull the RPods. Something else to think about. I liked the humor of another forum member ,you may buy a 6 cylinder engine and later hit your head and say you could have had a V8.      David and Danette
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 45>