This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Camping Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Whats pulling your RPod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324 45>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote OurRPod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Whats pulling your RPod
    Posted: 17 Jun 2016 at 6:57pm
We recently purchase a 151.  We are towing with a 1996 Chevy 6.5L Turbo Diesel.  Our quad fits in the bed of the truck.   The trailer tracks extremely well behind the truck and with the electronic trailer brakes we hardly know it's there.  For our next trip we'll be heading through mountain passes and could experience some heavy winds so yesterday we had a sway bar welded to the truck for added security.
Rustler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rustler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2016 at 12:06am
In May 2016 I purchased a new Rpod 171 HRE to be towed by a 2009 Toyota RAV4, V6 (269 HP), with tow package (transmission cooler, heavy duty radiator & alternator). The Rpod 171 was chosen partly because it was the lightest of the Rpods, better suited to the capabilities of the RAV4. That tow vehicle can tow up to 3500 lbs. with a maximum tongue weight of 350 lbs. The weight-distributing hitch is a Husky Centerline TS.

I just got back from the first outing with a round trip mileage of around 700 miles from sea level over 5 major passes in excess of 4000 feet. The highest point was 4600 feet. The trailer weighed 3000 lbs. loaded (93% of GVWR). The RAV4 weighed 4250 lbs. (90% of GVWR). Tongue weight was around 325 lbs. (11% of trailer weight).

I kept to speeds to a maximum of 55 mph, which help to keep the gas mileage at an average of 13.2 mpg. Going up most steep grades I kept the speed at 50 mph (3rd gear at 3100 rpm). On some steeper grades (up to 6.7%) the speed was only 45 mph. I never noticed any increase in engine coolant temperature. Ambient air temperatures were in the upper 80's to mid 90's.

Summary
The Rpod and tow vehicle were a good match, easy to tow, engine not being stressed. It is important to be willing to keep the speed down, particularly on hills. Otherwise the engine will be worked very hard. I encountered little if any sway due to the hitch's anti-sway feature. But I would not recommend using a heavier trailer with that tow vehicle. By the time much cargo is loaded, both trailer and tow vehicle are near maximum GVWR. Here's a photo of the combination:

Russ
2009 Toyota RAV4
V6 w/ tow package
2016 Rpod 171 HRE
OurRPod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote OurRPod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2016 at 12:13pm
Update we returned from our trip through the Fraser Canyon in BC.   It was extremely windy and we were very grateful for the addition of the sway bar.   I would recommend this to everyone!    
OurRpod
2010- Rpod 151
1996 Chevy Silverado 6.5L Turbo Diesel (AKA The Land Yacht)
Jules View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2016 at 1:54pm
We are thinking of changing out our 2012 Highlander with tow package for a little bigger vehicle but not a truck.  Looking at Jeep Grand Cherokee and GMC Yukon.  Anyone got comments, advice, recommendations?  Towing a 172 all over the country, 10,000 miles so far in the past year. 
Band Leader View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Band Leader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2016 at 4:02pm
I would suggest that you check out Consumer Reports on these vehicles reliability and repair record, as well as overall ratings. 

2016 R Pod 178
2001 Ford F 150 Triton V8
Kayaks and old folks bicycles
epicpow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote epicpow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2016 at 8:40pm
2015 Toyota Tundra TRD Off-Road with a 5.7L V8. A little overkill for the R-Pod but I love my truck!
Beachguysc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Beachguysc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2016 at 8:55pm
2010 Toyota Highlander Hybrid and 2016 182G. After market Reese  tow kit rated to 3500 lbs with P2 brake control. I think factory installed tow package is up to 5000 because they add transmission cooler, etc.  But my set up seems to work pretty well with just a sway bar and bake control. Mileage drops from 28 to 12.5 on mostly flat SC interstates at 65 mph.  With front and rear AC working and 97+ temps, the engine didn't get any hotter than normal on the temp gauge. But the engine temp gauge probably doesn't measure transmission temp. Is there anyway to monitor that considering I don't have the transmission cooler? And I read somewhere that there was some brand of transmission fluid I could use that would work better with heavy tow loads, but can't remember what it was. Does anyone have advice for towing mods with a vehicle that is close to its max weight? We will mostly tow local in SC/NC but will occasionally go to the higher east coast elevations when we have more time to travel. 
Tim and Melina
2016 182G
2015 GMC Canyon crew cab 4x4 SLT = main Tv
2017 Toyota Highlander Hybrid-TV
SNO4ME View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote SNO4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2016 at 9:50pm
Originally posted by Beachguysc

2010 Toyota Highlander Hybrid and 2016 182G. After market Reese  tow kit rated to 3500 lbs with P2 brake control. I think factory installed tow package is up to 5000 because they add transmission cooler, etc.  But my set up seems to work pretty well with just a sway bar and bake control. Mileage drops from 28 to 12.5 on mostly flat SC interstates at 65 mph.  With front and rear AC working and 97+ temps, the engine didn't get any hotter than normal on the temp gauge. But the engine temp gauge probably doesn't measure transmission temp. Is there anyway to monitor that considering I don't have the transmission cooler? And I read somewhere that there was some brand of transmission fluid I could use that would work better with heavy tow loads, but can't remember what it was. Does anyone have advice for towing mods with a vehicle that is close to its max weight? We will mostly tow local in SC/NC but will occasionally go to the higher east coast elevations when we have more time to travel. 

I had started to look into a Scan Gauge for checking tranny temps but I haven't really finished digging into it. It plugs into the scan plug under the dash. If it would show what I have been lead to believe that would be wonderful.
Bruce & Donna in the Sno Pod
(and Brewer too)
2011 RP 177
ToolmanJohn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ToolmanJohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2016 at 6:33am
 Since the transmission cooler is usually built into the radiator, you can  use the coolant temperature gauge as a good reference for the transmission temps. But the transmission temps can spike rapidly on a downshift when towing, uphill, under higher engine RPMs.  When those temps are kept in that high range for extended periods, it breaks down the transmission fluid.

I use the TORQUE app on my phone and a bluetooth OBD2 scanner. I bought a OBDLink LX from Amazon.  The transmission temps are always exactly the same as coolant temps (186°F typical) once the engine warms up, but during a downshift or lower gear at higher rpm it can spike.

I like that fact that it also shows so many other things not on the gauge cluster. I can also observe turbo boost pressure, and when it actually starts making boost (1750 rpm for my vehicle). So I stay below 2000 rpm for most driving to save fuel. It also gives me my exhaust gas temperatures, I don't want to run under heavy load for too long.
2017 ATC 7X20 Custom Toy Hauler
2013 R-Pod 177 (SOLD)
2013 VW Touareg TDI
Pat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2016 at 5:48pm
Using a 2009 Sahara Unlimited, 373 gears. Pulled from dealer in sw Ohio, seemed fine concerned about Smoke Mountains etc. 3.1/4 lift 35 in. Tires, stock tow package, 13.5 mpg.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324 45>