Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Camping Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Whats pulling your RPod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2627282930 45>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Whats pulling your RPod
    Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 9:22am
When I am on other than relatively flat land at low altitudes, turning overdrive off on my Frontier helps. We got a bit over 12.3 mpg on our last trip which included the Appalachians between the factory and NC.

I still can't get the photo upload function to work with a Google Photos link. Here is the link which will get to the picture:

https://goo.gl/photos/5xFDYYZ7JHzrZeot5
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
devro View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote devro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 9:35am
So how did you photoshop my trailer behind your 4Runner?
JIM
fwunder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote fwunder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 10:19am
Hey Stephen,

You used to be able to embed the direct link to your Google Photo image using the Google direct link method:

Click Your image from the link you provided to bring it up in "slideshow" mode and then right-click or control-click to copy image address

You used to be able to use that address with the "Insert Image" button and scale.

Apparently, the forum software doesn't like the long URL anymore so the link gets messed up upon posting. The link I was messing with is:

Nice rig, BTW!

2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 2:20pm
Edit: Trying it with Fred's instructions on posting pictures from Google. I modified the link below. Let's see if it works. . . . No joy. I still can't get it to work. I will try again tomorrow.

Thanks. I had brought the picture up and then selected share and then "Get Link" in Google Photos. With a different photo from above, it yields this link:https://goo.gl/photos/jq6soPuPdQa5wSLs7

When I paste the link in the picture tool, whether I set the width and height or not, I get the error message:
Error loading preview.
Please check the path and name are correct.

Trying it by right clicking and copying the image location, it yields this link:

Isn't it strange that the shorter direct link does not work, but the really long link is working? Thank you for the assistance.

Since getting back, I have gotten most of my modifications reinstalled in preparation for our upcoming trip. I will not be reinstalling the BAL Hide-A-Spare for now since I have the truck bed for carrying those things which I had on a luggage rack previously. Now to get everything cleaned up so we can start stocking it with everything we will need.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
fwunder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote fwunder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 3:24pm
Yeah Stephen. Although the images looks correct when you use the image insert button, when you actually post it the forum software changes the url to:

https://lh3.googleusercontent/oB-GxLY-P1s_CKOX0B2LBdHjjfMlLhZ34dZ9l......etc.

note that it strips the .com from https://lh3.googleusercontent

That's the problem and I don't see a fix. Looks like Google photos isn't an option here.

Continue stocking! Smile

fred
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
Rustler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rustler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2017 at 2:49am
Originally posted by devro

Gas mileage drops from about 15mpg to 9mpg when towing.
Truck has a 5 speed auto trany and it pretty much stays in 4th gear all the time, shifting to 3rd and running high rpm on hills, pretty annoying but nothing to be done about that.

Recently when towing my 2016 Pod 171 with a 2009 Toyota RAV4 (3.5 liter, 269 HP) I'm got an average of 13.5 MPG over 680 miles, round trip. This involved going from sea level over 4 mountain passes in excess of 4000 ft.

One key to getting good mileage is to avoid those high rpm, gas-guzzling pulls up mountain grades. Most of the time I leave the 5-speed automatic transmission in drive, on cruise control. It does a better job than I can in down shifting to 4th on slight upgrades, but shifting into 5th on downgrades. When steep uphill grades are encountered, disable cruise control. Don't try to maintain cruising speed. Just use whatever light throttle touch is necessary to avoid those downshifts (to 3rd or 2nd) with high rpms. With the amount of HP my V-6 produces, the uphill grades can cause my speed to drop to 50 or even 45 mph - all without allowing the transmission to shift into a lower, gas guzzling gear. If the speed threatens to drop below 45 mph, I apply more gas to keep at 45 mph or above. This will cause a down shift into the gas-guzzling rpm. But this is only on the steepest grades. Using the above method on hills, my engine is at its most efficient - 2800-3200 rpm , when its torque is optimum. The gas-guzzling rpms are 4000-4500 rpm or higher.

I also keep my top speed at no more than 55 mph for 2 reasons. First it is the legal maximum for towing in my state, though many drivers ignore the law. Second fuel consumption is much less at 55 compared to 65 or 70 mph.

I hope this will be of use for those wishing to get better fuel mileage when towing.
Russ
2009 Toyota RAV4
V6 w/ tow package
2016 Rpod 171 HRE
Bugout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bugout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 12:53pm
Well that's it lm trading in my truck with v8 for a RAV4 lol 😆
Jk Aiken South Carolina 2016 178 Toyota Tundra 2017 4.6
Kup-Pod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Kup-Pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2017 at 8:38pm

On my way home from the dealership - finally! Smile
2017 RP-178
2021 F150 5.0l
"Lead me on a level path"
Kup-Pod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Kup-Pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2017 at 8:40pm

trying to post image again, on my way home from dealer! :-)
2017 RP-178
2021 F150 5.0l
"Lead me on a level path"
Serendipody View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Serendipody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2017 at 10:45pm
We pull with a 4 cylinder Tacoma. It's got a 3500 pound tow capacity and the main reason we bought our 171. It is so lightweight but had all the amenities we wanted. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2627282930 45>