This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Camping Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Whats pulling your RPod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3738394041 45>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Whats pulling your RPod
    Posted: 08 Aug 2020 at 5:50am
Originally posted by Colt

Offgrid,

That's sure a  lot of effort to run down diesel.  Diesel IS more dense than gasoline, but the BTU content is not significantly different, with a slight edge to gasoline.  Combustion occurs on a mass basis, so comparing BTU/lb or kg makes sense.  The attached pic is from engineeringtoolbox.com\\

A lot of effort?

Took me a whole 30 seconds. I didn't look up any charts, and my 15% was meant as a rough approximation for volume units, which is how we all buy the stuff, as was clearly stated by both the OP and myself.  

Bottom line, you cannot directly compare fuel economy between the two fuels on an miles per gallon basis.

Running down diesel?

Not at all. I have nothing against diesel other than that its a fossil fuel, but so is gasoline, propane, etc. I've used them all in both my own engines and in hybrid remote power systems I've designed and installed professionally. Each has its advantages and disadvantages. If you like to run diesel then go for it. Just don't argue that you have great fuel economy because you consume 15% less fuel by volume than gasoline. You don't. 

I do want to see a level playing field though. The fact is that once diesel was required to play by similar emissions rules as gasoline it lost much of its advantage in lighter vehicles.  And if you disagree that diesel should meet the emissions standards just go spend a few months in India as I have, where you have whole cities choking to death on PM2.5 diesel particulate pollution, then let's talk.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
malkbean2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote malkbean2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2020 at 7:41am
dont know about all that other stuff but i do know that burning
deisel stinks and gasoline doesnt
rpod 178
Grand Caravan
podwerkz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote podwerkz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2020 at 7:57am
lol...before they took (almost) all of the sulfur out of diesel fuel, I used to love the way those smoky old buses and dumptrucks smelled...

But actually, newer on-road diesels are very clean burning, its all part of the emissions technology, including particulate filters and DEF injection.

Having said that, yeah the mouth-breathers that drive around with 'deleted' diesel pickups, rolling coal and making a bunch of racket, are giving modern diesels a bad name. 

r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2020 at 8:45am
+1. It is illegal to delete the emissions controls on Diesel engines. I don't know how any of them pass emissions tests if required by the state in which it is registered.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2020 at 9:32am
The people who deliberately modify diesel pickups to pollute more live in states where there are few, if any, vehicle pollution inspections, or they make a temporary change to pass their inspection, then revert to the deliberately polluting our air.  As far as I am concerned, any pickup spewing out black smoke should be confiscated and sent to a vehicle crusher and sold as scrap metal.  The bad little boys who deliberately give the rest of us the middle finger should be sent to jail for a year or two.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2020 at 9:51am
And lest we forget, we shouldn't be letting the bad big boys who cheated on the diesel emissions standards on their vehicles off so easy either. We're talking millions of vehicles manufactured over many years, and those guys bilked their customers as well as polluted the environment by selling them on how clean their engines were when they were in many cases putting out 10x the levels of contaminants they were supposed to.  That's not just VW either, Fiat Chrysler Jeep, Nissan Renault, Audi, Porsche, and yes Mercedes have all been caught cheating. A year or two in jail for their C level managers would nip that behavior in the bud I bet...
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
DavMar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote DavMar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2020 at 10:59am
To lighten this recent gas verses diesel discussion here is what is now pulling my Pod.

I get 35 miles to a bale of hay and bucket of oats! Beat that! LOL
Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2020 at 1:03pm
Is that per horse or combined?  Big smile
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
malkbean2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote malkbean2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2020 at 3:44pm
does burning a bale o hay with that much horsepower pollute?
rpod 178
Grand Caravan
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2020 at 4:04pm
Originally posted by malkbean2

does burning a bale o hay with that much horsepower pollute?

Yes because horses produce CO2 (and stinky methane gas). But its can be zero net pollution because hay is a biofuel. If you use the team to cut, rake, bale, and transport the hay to the barn then you've got a pollution free self sustaining system. If you use a diesel or gas tractor to process and transport the hay then maybe not so much.....

1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3738394041 45>