R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > Non-pod Discussion Forums > Mods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Cushion foam replacement

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cushion foam replacement
    Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 9:58am
We are glad we made the decision to change out the seat foam a while ago.  We were like techntrek as the foam would compress to nothing.  Went to a place in Traverse City which specializes in foam, called "Stuff It Upholstery."  Good prices and very helpful owner who has myriads of options of foam from medium price to upper end, including virgin foam, which very few use due to the cost.  In the world of golf carts, only Yamaha uses it (virgin foam), and what a difference over its competitors.  We still have some Yamahas from the 1980's used by staff and rangers and those seats are more comfortable and give better support than 1 year old carts made by Club Car or E-Z-Go, you get what you pay for.  We purchased a firm foam, not the firmest, and the cost came to $ 166.28.  Wow, what a difference!
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by David and Danette

We bought ours from the foam factory too. We bought the HD 36 HQ 5" thick it is more dense and a little heavier than the original factory foam, provides better support. We bought a full sheet 82" x 76"  $205.99 more than we needed for the camper but have some left over for another project. We have some long cushions about 42" and one I think was 48". I didn't like the factory covers for the back cushions so to save money I bought body pillow covers from ebay. They are easily removed to wash when needed.

Body pillow covers? I wish I had thought of that. I made the two covers for the cushions I made to replace the back dinette cushions for my dinette modification. Body pillow covers would have made the job much easier. However my cushions are 75" long so I would have had to stitch two of the covers together to make one long enough to fit.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
crw8sr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote crw8sr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 6:20pm
Oh boy. another mod to do!
Chuck & Lyn
Izzy, Morkie. RIP
Zoe Joy & Gracie, Yorkie
2018 R Pod 190   
2019 Traverse

In moments of adversity;when life's a total wreck, I think of those worse off than me and really feel like heck.
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 9:51pm
I used a combination of 3" of high density foam and 1" of standard density foam and then topped that with a layer of quilt batting when I made the cushions for my dinette modification. I wanted the back cushions to be the same thickness as the seat cushion. Since that is still in good shape, I did not replace the foam in it, but may do that some day.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
mesamie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mesamie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2019 at 9:21am
I replaced the dinette cushions with one full sized memory foam mattress, with same sized plywood underneath. We never used the dinette to eat on and that table was a pain in the xxx to mess with, let alone my son loves his new bed....the whole thing slides in and out with slide.
mpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2022 at 9:52am
Hello Fred, 

I know it's been a while since you ordered the cushion replacement - wondering if there was anything you would change as I need to order some for the 2016 Rpod I have---my 2 questions are :

1) the dimensions add up to 2" short in the case of  the length and width of the "shorter" cushions-  did all cushions fit properly and fill the bed area when converted?

2) I am looking at the HD36 High Quality Foam- is this what you purchased- how did it hold up?

Thanks, 
Matt
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12