R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedhumidity & tires

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: humidity & tires
    Posted: 31 Dec 2015 at 4:42pm
Hello

HUMIDITY   
      We are visiting our kids & grandkids for a few weeks in Greenville, SC area and we have a 2015 Rpod 179.  It has been 80% humidity here for close to a week with hours & hours of rain.  I've been experimenting with different ways to keep humidity OUT.  Tried Fantastic fan and A/C fan and cracking windows, propane heat with Fantastic fan open.  
     But the best so far is electric heat with everything closed and cracking the Fantastic fan coveropen a tad but no fan.  Propane heat has some water but not electric and the moist warm air rises and vents out the top.  Being as people are going in and out of Rpod during the day all those dehumidifiers will quickly fill with water but the humidity level does not seem to move much.  In an hour without opening the door our hygrometer goes from 80% to near 60% which seems to help- the paper towels are dry again and don't feel like a damp cloth.  Anybody had success removing humidity in their Rpod?  I'd like to hear their technique (I know a few weeks in AZ would help!).....

TIRES    
     Now for TIRES.  We live in AK.  Drove down & bought our Rpod in MI.  Then drove to TX- now SC. Before I return this Spring to AK we are getting some more air under our RP-179.  We put a riser kit atop the axel- we are selling our 14" wheels & tires and I want to know besides 15" wheels if their are any other options. Like 16"-17" or 18" wheels??  Don't really need that much clearance but we are looking to buy an aluminum framed Ford F-150 and if we could work the wheels/tires out to be interchangeable then I could carry ONE spare for both.  Probably never work but I'm looking into it anyway.  If anyone knows the wheel options for our 2015 RP-179 please advise.
Thanks for your time....
RoadToad
Toadj Me-Haul

2015 RP179
Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2015 at 4:58pm
Interesting humidity control information, thanks for that. 

The only thing I can say about tire size variances is the the HRE comes with 15' LT tires and beyond that I doubt that you will find much documentation or recommendation.    
Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
(1/2 ton 5,800lb tow capacity)
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2015 at 6:33pm
I don't have one of the aluminum body F150.  Mine is a steel body 2010 with LY275-65 18 tires.  They are easily twice as heavy as the tires/wheels on our 177.  Clearance issues aside I am not sure the trailer's suspension could handle that much more un-sprung weight.  Interesting idea though.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
David and Danette View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2016 at 1:04pm
    I know several years ago there was a member who in lived Saint Augustine, Florida who drove a Jeep liberty and had one spare tire for his Jeep and r-pod. He may of had 15" wheels. I forgot his name I don't think he has posted anything for a long time. 
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2016 at 9:18pm
RoadToad - No worries about humidity from the propane heater.  It is an entirely enclosed system and the water vapor is exhausted outside.  Water vapor is a problem with a non-vented propane heater, either portable or many of the "fireplaces" installed in homes.

David - you are thinking of TerryM, one of the moderators.  He suddenly stopped visiting in Nov. 2013 and we never heard from him again.  I have his phone and email, I sent a few queries with no response and then never could bring myself to call because I assumed the worst.  Cry
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Humberto B. Bradley View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2016 at 1:33am
Yes Techntrek is right. I also think humidity doesn't matters. Once I have gone through a blog on transporting rvs (http://www.wewilltransportit.com/rv-shipping/) where the writer wrote about this topic.
David and Danette View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2016 at 4:49am
 Thank you, Doug. I couldn't remember Terry's name and I too thought something may have happened to him. Time goes by so fast I didn't realize it has been that long since he has posted anything on the forum. Cry
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

Post Reply Post Reply