R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBent Axle - Event Date: 02 Jan 2016

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Bent Axle
    Posted: 05 Mar 2016 at 3:39pm
Dave - 2016 Silverado 2500HD LML - 2010 RP172T
dacolson View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2016 at 3:54pm
We have a 2010 RP-172t. Last summer I noticed excessive tire wear on the insides of both tires. Not bald but much more than the rest. I replaced the tires but now see the sit with a tilt in toward the trailer at the top. See pic. I can't get a good pic of the axle. I suspect it's been overloaded and bent past 3500# limit. Not currently loaded in this pic so I bet it's permanently bent. We travel w/ water plus a bunch of supplies and bikes for 4 on the back. I'm reading we should fill up water at the destination and maybe move the spare tire to the truck. Has anyone upgraded the axle to a 5000#? I'm replacing the OE this spring and would like to know if it's possible/recommended. 
David and Danette View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2016 at 5:58pm
  Our Vibe which originally from the factory had a 3,500 lb. axle and was changed later under warranty to a 4,500 lb.axle. It was a Lippert axle replaced with a Lippert axle. The r-pods I think have been built from the factory with either a Lipert or a Dexter axle. Both the r-pods and Vibes have the same axle and fender design. The only thing that may be a concern would be the strength of the frame the Vibe has a stronger frame from the earlier model r-pods. I don't think the frame on the earlier model r-pods would have a problem with a 4,500 axle but I am no expert on frames. Marwayne has added a lot of weight to his earlier model r-pod I am sure he could be of some help. 
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

dacolson View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2016 at 11:03am
Thank you D & D. Do you have part numbers for the replacement 4500# setup? And pictures? Would be helpful. Started looking for replacements and seems like there's a ton of options and variables. 
dacolson View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2016 at 6:33pm
Update. After lots of calls with Forest River, Lippert and my trailer repair shop, I'm replacing the original axle with the OEM from Forest River. Couldn't get a replacement with a higher weight limit without changing the lug pattern. I just bought new tires last fall. Gave up and went back to the standard 3500#. Just going to have to mind my total GVWR more carefully. Funny thing was, the price for FR was over $100 cheaper than Lippert! And FR orders it direct from Lippert! Confused Regardless, parts will be here in 10 days or so and we'll be rolling on straight wheels again. Had them throw in a replacement fender for the one I banged up dropping a kayak on it last summer. Can't wait to be all shiny and new again. Gonna get after all the interior/exterior calking next. 
Mountainrev View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2016 at 7:32pm
Originally posted by dacolson

Update. After lots of calls with Forest River, Lippert and my trailer repair shop, I'm replacing the original axle with the OEM from Forest River. Couldn't get a replacement with a higher weight limit without changing the lug pattern. I just bought new tires last fall. Gave up and went back to the standard 3500#. Just going to have to mind my total GVWR more carefully. Funny thing was, the price for FR was over $100 cheaper than Lippert! And FR orders it direct from Lippert! Confused Regardless, parts will be here in 10 days or so and we'll be rolling on straight wheels again. Had them throw in a replacement fender for the one I banged up dropping a kayak on it last summer. Can't wait to be all shiny and new again. Gonna get after all the interior/exterior calking next. 

How much was the fender?  I banged one up last summer pulling up to a gas pump.  Argggghhhhh.  I was able to pound most of the dent out with a rubber mallet, but it bugs the heck out of me every time I look in the sideview mirror.  Thankfully, it's on the driver's side, so I don't have to look at it going in and out of the Pod when we're camping!
2014 177
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee Turbodiesel

"I lift my eyes to the hills."
dacolson View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2016 at 7:50pm
Banged mine out with a mallet too. Not good enough. Bugs me too! It was like $57 or so. Not too bad. Expected worse.
KennesawCampers View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2016 at 4:33pm
We have a 2015 R179 and when we took it to our dealer for its 1-year maintenance, we were told we have a bent axle. The left wheel was leaning out very slightly. Our 1-year annual maintenance checkup has turned into a very expensive trip!! Hopefully this won't happen again.
dacolson View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2016 at 4:43pm
They didn't cover it under warranty? I suppose they called it excessive wear ...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12