FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNational Parks On The Air

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Topic: National Parks On The Air
    Posted: 05 Jan 2016 at 9:32am
Here is something you might encounter in your travels to the NPS facilities this year. Amateur Radio (Ham) is having a year log event to help celebrate the 100th anniversary of the National Park System. It is called "National Parks on the Air".

Being a "Ham", my/our goal is to "activate" and "chase" as many of the NPS facilities as possible (400+). We get "points" for activating and chasing. We can earn awards based on how many points we accumulate.

Activators go to the NPS properties and transmit, in hopes as making contact with as many chasers as possible. Chasers (usually at home)try to find these folks and make contact. All great fun for the radio enthusiasts.

So, if you happen to encounter someone(s) in a campground, national trail, historic site, etc. and this person is feverishly yakking into a radio, you'll know what they are up to. Be calm and give 'em a wave. One of them just might be me!

If you would like to know more........

NPOTA

See you out there!
johnmaci View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2016 at 11:23am
Greetings from KC3DFJ

New Technician here, trying to figure all this out while still having fun
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2016 at 12:16pm
Welcome to the Ham Radio hobby - from WA9DU.

The main thing you need to do is to use Logbook of The World (LoTW) - if you do not already. All of the scoring and points are done via that.

Most of the activity will likely be on the HF bands (SSB and/or CW), though some are working VHF, digital modes, etc. There was a lot of activity the first weekend - much more than I anticipated. I worked 42 NPS units and I did not get all that were on. Pileups....YES!!!

If I can answer any questions, please ask. I know there are a few other Hams here on the forum, also.

Look me up on QRZ.com. This year is Indiana's bicentennial and we are doing some special things. I'll be operating portable in Jefferson County (Clifty Falls State Park) for the special "original counties" award - during the Indiana QSO Party, in May.

73!

Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2016 at 7:44pm
CQ National Parks, CQ national Parks, This is KB9NUM calling CQ National parks.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2016 at 9:08pm
I'll be flowing through multiple parks this summer so I'll keep my eyes open for antennas sized for those bands.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2016 at 5:46am
Originally posted by Keith-N-Dar

CQ National Parks, CQ national Parks, This is KB9NUM calling CQ National parks.

73!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2016 at 5:51am
Originally posted by techntrek

I'll be flowing through multiple parks this summer so I'll keep my eyes open for antennas sized for those bands.

You should get your Ham license...so you could give the rest of us points!

With your background/knowledge, you could probably pass the test without even reading the questions!

I hope to "activate" a few myself - once the weather changes/camping season opens. I'd like to activate a bunch of them but, there is this money issue....
Commander203 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2016 at 8:36am
David,

Sounds like another fun paper chasing event. Being a brand new Podder, I haven't gotten around to installing a radio in the POD just yet. With retirement looming the end of the month, it may just be time to get it done. I'll definitely listen for you guys on the bands, by the way we love the magic band.

73,from W5MIK
XYL is KE5KJY
Son is KD5KWI
Mike & Erin
2013 Tundra 4.6L V8 (Tow PK)
2006 Honda Goldwing GL 1800
2005 Honda VTX 1800N
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2016 at 9:16am
Good to hear from you. Since you like 6 meters, I had to check my log to see if we had worked...unfortunately not. I used to spend a lot of time on 6 meters and up. Right now, my 6m5 (M2) antenna is in the mini-barn.

FB on retirement! I got "nudged" into it 2 years ago and don't miss all of the work place BS. However, I do miss the paycheck!

I used to take my FT-847 along camping. Last year, I purchased a FT-857D and made up my own "carrier" out of 1/4" luan plywood. It is in the truck until I go camping. Then I put it in the camper, once parked.
For antennas, I have an ATAS-100, "hamstick" dipoles, and a couple of wire dipoles. It is rare to have enough room and support for the wire dipoles.

Good luck in retirement and the radio install!

73!

Commander203 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2016 at 10:11am
Yep, It's going to be weird waking up on February 1st with no job. I've had one all my life, I know I'll miss the pay but there comes a time when you know it's time to move on to a new chapter in life. looking forward to the new adventure.

Anyway, I've considered running a coax cable from the TV to the Pod and just using the mobile antenna while in the POD or from a picnic table while camping. Although my wife is a HAM, I don't think she would appreciate the noise inside the POD, of course I could put her out on the picnic bench. I've thought about taking along a 30 Ft push up pole to mount an A99 on.

One thing for sure, I'll have plenty of time to think about it. By the way, nice looking radio. The FT-857D is a very good choice for portable operations. I also plan to pick up a Honda generator to power the radios among other things. We operated field day last year using a Honda 2000 watt Gen and it ran several radios with no problem. I was impressed with how quiet they are.

Guess I should probably get back to work.   
Mike & Erin
2013 Tundra 4.6L V8 (Tow PK)
2006 Honda Goldwing GL 1800
2005 Honda VTX 1800N
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>