Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIntroductio - Event Date: 17 Jan 2016

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Introductio
    Posted: 17 Jan 2016 at 10:30am
I'm retired from the U.S Forest Service as a fireman for 40 years, never took a summer vacation in those 40 years due to forest fire tend to burn in the summer.  Now that I'm retire, I purchased my first RV (R-Pod 171) Intending to take my first summer vacation I'm planning to take a trip starting in June and not returning home till November.  I'm looking at a road trip starting at calif. central coast and taking the Pacific coast hwy to the Canadian border.  If any one has any ideas for my first road trip I'm open to any suggestions.
At this time I'm enjoying getting my R-pod ready for my adventure, I have taken short trips to the coast and have really enjoyed my R-Pod.  

Les
Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2016 at 10:41am
Welcome from San Antonio and congratulations on your retirement and new POD. If you have a smart phone there are a ton of good apps that can help you on your journey. If so, checkout RVparky and Allstays. Good luck, have fun! Smile
Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
(1/2 ton 5,800lb tow capacity)
Capt Kidd View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2016 at 11:09am
Sounds like a great trip. Last year I did a 10,512 mile road trip with my teardrop trailer.

Started in San Francisco and ran the Lincoln Hwy east to NYC then up the Atlantic seaboard to southern Maine across Vermont and New Hampshire then down to Virginia and the Blue Ridge Parkway down to North Carolina. West thru the Smokies then up to Chicago then Route 66 back to California and up Hwy 1 to Eureka then home to Chico.

Had a great time, stayed mostly in KOAs.
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2016 at 2:06pm
Welcome to the group!! Sounds like a great trip!! We have excellent trout fishing if you get out to Vermont!!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
Camper Bob View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2016 at 2:10pm
Being an ex-Californian and having camped all over the state, I have a few recommendations.  Highway 1 from the southern end up to Hearst's Castle, Big Sur, Jules Pfeiffer State Park, Monterey, Carmel, and then north to Oregon.  When in Big Sur, don't miss Nepenthe, which is a restaurant right on the coast.  Have a drink there on the outside patio while watching the sun retire into the sea for another day.  There is a campground that we stayed in many years ago just before crossing into Oregon.  It is called Patricks Point.  Up into Oregon, on the coast is Grants Pass with many RV parks along the river.  Hot in the summer but a great place to swim.  Don't miss the Sealion caves, as well as many other attractions on the south coast of Oregon.  Washington State has many fine campgrounds along the coast and along the Canadian border.  Of course don't forget San Francisco.  There is a campground across the bay which is the closest to the city near San Quentin Prison.  The name escapes me but you can look it up.  Just a few suggestions that I recall.  Have a great trip and thank you for your service.  Safe Travels.
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 LB. Mini Dachshund)
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
CozyPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2016 at 2:59pm
Congratulations!! And greetings from the Alabama Gulf Coast.

Enjoy your free time and travel safe.
David & Suzanne
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2016 at 6:12pm
Welcome!  We'll be making that trip up the west coast this July.  I look forward to reading about your plans.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2016 at 11:22am
Congratulations and thank you for your service in putting those fires out.  I have a niece who has been doing the same for 10 years, resides in Colorado.   Anyway, welcome from Northern Michigan where we just received a beautiful 12 " snow drop with  temperate 14 degrees and bountiful winds.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
 Post Reply Post Reply