This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Camping Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Nomads (full-timing)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Don Halas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nomads (full-timing)
    Posted: 05 Feb 2016 at 3:36pm
I'm still about 8 years from retirement but have started dreaming of the day. Also about the ability of taking an extended road trip of say 6 to 8 months.

I'd like to sell my house and second car, put our stuff in a storage pod and spend the next few months travelling the U.S.

My question is regarding legal residence. In such a scenario I won't have a permanent residence. No concern about paying bills or receiving things, but what about my drivers license or other things that would require a permanent residence.

My suspicion is that I'd have to say it was my son's home.

Has anyone done this?
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote techntrek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2016 at 4:05pm
Lots of info on the net for "full time RVing".  Here is one good page with answers to your question and many more. We hope to be there ourselves in 13 years.  Smile

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Don Halas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Don Halas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2016 at 9:40am
Thanks.

You continue to be a great resource.

That would be phase I.  After retiring travelling the entire U.S. and hopefully in our current Pod and TV.

Phase II would be residence in two or three different places during the year.  At that point we would trade up to a bigger RV perhaps a fifth wheel.  I'd buy a new TV and we'd spend several months in two or three locations. 

What I'm wondering about is buying lots and putting the trailer on the lot.  Of course I'd have to put septic, water and electric in.  I'd hope to do it somewhere that the lot and utilities would not be too expensive.  Is this feasible?

Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote Leo B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2016 at 2:34pm
We have a similar plan, we are doing the research now to set up a lot in Vermont and then another down south, we would then bounce back and forth. We are definitely going to buy the land and put in septic and power vs the lots you buy in the associations. they seem very restrictive.
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
Don Halas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Don Halas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2016 at 9:53am
I think the biggest concern would be buying a lot that is not part of an RV Park/resort.

I think a lot of local ordinances prohibit an RV as a permanent residence on the property.  It  would be nice to believe that a lot with water, sewer and electricity could be sold later to either someone with similar needs or even someone who wanted to put a house on the property. 

I looked at one RV park in Virginia where the lots appear to be about $7K - $8K and then the annual fees/taxes about $1K.  A seasonal rate in another local (but preferable) campground is over $3K per year. So the upfront (and assumable equity) cost can reduce the annual costs.  I'm not sure what other pros and cons there might be.

Don Halas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Don Halas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2016 at 12:32pm
Perhaps the Site Administrator can create a topic like 'Long Term Travels' or 'RV Residence' or something similar as I believe there's probably a lot of information that can be shared regarding living in an RV for an extended or permanent time.
David and Danette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote David and Danette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2016 at 1:12pm
Originally posted by Don Halas

Perhaps the Site Administrator can create a topic like 'Long Term Travels' or 'RV Residence' or something similar as I believe there's probably a lot of information that can be shared regarding living in an RV for an extended or permanent time.
That sounds like a good idea in that we are planning on a few months of traveling to Florida and staying in our camper each Winter. We could use all the help we could get, it is going to be a trial and error event I am sure.
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote techntrek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2016 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by Don Halas

I did see this when it was posted, just was thinking on it.  Not sure we need an entire new section but making this thread a sticky topic would keep it visible.  Will that work?
Don Halas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Don Halas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2016 at 1:47pm
Whatever you think.  I just think it's a unique subject and could have a lot of issues to discuss.  Apparently though as you can see, not too many people have found much interest in the subject.  Thanks.

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote techntrek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2016 at 6:17pm
Don't be too discouraged, not many people full-time and most that do usually have RVs or 5th wheel campers.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>