R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTowing Vehicle for R-pod 178?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Towing Vehicle for R-pod 178?
    Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 7:35pm
Howdy!

I'm new to the Forum and new to trailering, so please be gentle...  My wife and I retired from tent camping last year and bought a new (2015) R-Pod 178.  We took six trips last summer, using her 2006 SAAB wagon to pull the R-pod.  It has a stated towing capacity of 3,500 lbs, which we thought would work out with a lightly-loaded, 2,500-lb R-pod.  It performed pretty well, but we have some pretty steep, long climbs out of the Salt Lake Valley (our home) to get to a lot of our favorite places.  With the SAAB, we just kissed the "H" a few times, but never had to pull over to let the engine cool.

The SAAB is probably getting too old for this and there are many places we'd like to go that are higher and steeper than we've gone.  We'd like to get a vehicle that we'll have confidence in.  Also, this would also be my wife's commuting vehicle, so she'd rather not have a pickup.

In talking to friends who pull R-pods, we've gotten all kinds of often conflicting information.  For example, one friend has an Xterra with a tow rating of 5,000 lbs, but he's unhappy with the power.  Another swears by his Ford 150 truck.  I've learned over the years to simply not believe dealers, so, coupled with my very limited knowledge of cars, trucks, etc., I'm in sort of a pickle.

Ideally, we'd like to get a lease-return, low-mileage SUV (my wife's really not a truck person) that doesn't drive like a tank around town and has more versatility than a pickup.

So, I thought I'd take a survey, of sorts, and see what experienced owners use to pull their R-pods.  Any suggestions?

Thanks,

thegarrs
John Garr
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 8:02pm
While I would not necessarily recommend what we have (2016 Ford Escape SE with factory tow package and 2L Ecoboost engine, 3,500 lbs tow rated) as it would likely not meet your needs, please consider in any vehicle you decide to purchase to make sure it has a factory tow package. In our case, it did not only add the hitch, but added the transmission cooler and 4 connector wiring. I had to add the electrical brake controller, which meant running wires since the Escape did not have the electrical harness to support the controller. While it was not too difficult, it still would have been nicer had the connections been there.

For example, a Ford Explorer with option 52T would have a 3.5L Ecoboost engine, factory class III hitch, transmission cooler, and 7-pin connector. That means that it should have the connector needed to plug in the brake controller.

https://www.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/towingguides/16rvtt_ford_explorer_sep28.pdf

Just so I don't seem to be recommending one brand, here is a list that includes several:

http://suv.reviewitonline.net/best-towing-suvs/
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
johnmaci View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 8:13pm
Anything with a V8 (or diesel), and Factory Tow Package should do just fine.
A mid size would be something similar to the Dodge Durango (or Grand Cherokee).
Many more choices in the large category (Tahoe, Sequoia, Yukon, Escalade, Expedition, etc.....)

http://www.autobytel.com/sport-utility-vehicles/car-buying-guides/suvs-with-the-highest-towing-capacity-for-2016-129968/

Currently saving up to trade my Nissan for a lightly used V8 Land Rover in the near future :)
The Nissan has worked well, but you can tell the trailer is still back there when towing :(
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2016 at 12:25pm
Welcome. I would go with at least a 5000 pound towing capacity, not only for the pod short-term but in case you move up to something larger in the future. Since you don't want a pickup, you'll be mostly looking at SUVs for that capacity. We jumped to a full-size SUV with a nearly 8000 pound capacity. While not necessary for the pod, to get a higher towing capacity so many components/specs will also be larger, and knowing we had trips planned over the Rockies I wanted something that wouldn't be underpowered on a long uphill slog with thin air. It also allowed us to move up to a large TT as our kids grew.

We use the TV for all it is worth, hauling wood & mulch & a car once, often hauling 6-7 people, snow plowing, and pulling other cars out of ditches. 4WD is a must where we live and nothing we owned had it, so it serves that purpose, too. Runs to Costco. It is also my daily driver although I only do that 3 days a week.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2016 at 8:52pm
One thing to think about is whether the engine in the vehicle you are considering is naturally aspirated or turbocharged. It does make a big difference. In spite of our Escape only having a 2L engine, the turbocharger meant that the higher altitudes did not affect it as much as it would have a naturally aspirated engine like the one in our former Escape. Although the earlier Escape had a larger engine, it had less power and torque. We had no problems in our cross-country trip via I-40 even though we went to a little above sea level across the continental divide and Flagstaff's 7,000' elevation.

I am sure you can extrapolate that to turbocharged V6 and Diesel engines as well.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2016 at 1:04am
We have an 08 Explorer with a 4.0 V-6 and it works well for us pulling our 177.  It is rated for 5000 lbs.  We do know it is behind us when traveling across the Rockies.  Currently have 150,000 miles on it so has a lot of life left in her.  Our '94 F-150 stays closer to home with over 300,000 miles on it and 31 deer kills, I am afraid it would call more deer if we hauled our pod and I don't liken that thought in the least. 
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2016 at 1:26pm
31 deer kills? That's an awfully efficient hunting machine you have there. Shocked And I thought the deer were bad around here.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2016 at 2:35pm
Funny thing is that all but 4 have been within a 5 mile stretch between home and work.  For many years I only go between 30-35 mph on my way to work at 5:30 - 5:45 am but there are so many of them and with thick cover on both sides of the road they only have to jump out in front of my and WHAM ! 

One year I figured on riding my bicycle to work, big mistake!  On my second day I nearly had a deer run me over, it was close, I yelled at it and still it nearly ran me over.  The guys at work nicknamed the truck "deer slayer' a fitting nameApprove.

Only once has the truck taken a big hit as all but one have been hit with the front bumper.  This was in 1998 and just had the truck for a week and the deer were in the "rut."  I stopped on the road as I watched about 20 deer cross in front of me about 30 yards away.  All of a sudden a doe came out of the corn field and hit me right behind the driver door.  It put a huge dent in the side, stupid thing broke its neck - Ford tough I guess.  Never got it fixed cause the owners didn't transfer insurance on it YET.  So I always have that to look at and laugh.  I have managed to go 2 years (not in a row) where I have been fortunate enough not to kill any, but that is a rarity.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2016 at 7:27pm
We started off pulling our Pod with a Chevy Astro van.  It was a 6 cylinder and immediately we realized that neither the engine, brakes, transmission or cooling system could handle long distance towing .  We bought a certified pre-owned Ford Expedition EL that had 30, 000 miles .  It has the factory tow package and is rated for 9000 pounds. when we tow the pod, we hardly know it's behind us most of the time. We love it as an all around vehicle as well as an excellent tow vehicle.  We have used it for several cross country US trips and it has been flawless.  We get about 12 mpg when towing at reasonable speeds-not great, but reasonable for it's size and towing.  We get about 18-19mpg during non-towing use. It is comfortable, stable, has plenty of power, brakes, cooling and transmission capability.   You can easily seat 2 in the front, 3 in the middle and 3 in the far back comfortably. The middle and/or rear seats   fold down to make a huge storage area.I would recommend it and would buy it again.

Vann Evans

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
CampCat View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2016 at 10:35pm
I was looking at a VW Touareg Diesel. They tow 7000 + lbs and the diesel delivers great fuel economy. They are a little spendy but I believe it would be worthy of research. Just food for thought as I have not bought it "yet"Big smile
Patrick&Deanna,
Scion xB, Clark Vertex Hammock "PuppypPod", crosswind kayak
Starting from scratch😄
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>