Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBattery Charging

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Battery Charging
    Posted: 24 Feb 2016 at 12:06pm
Hi - I just purchased a 2015 r pod 178 which came with dual batteries. Does any know how long the batteries need to charge when you use the electrical cable plugged in to the 120 V AC? I have charged the batteries for 12 hours and achieved a 2/3 charge, but after the trailer sits for a couple of days, with no electrical draw on the battery, the batteries are almost drained.

Thanks, Bret
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2016 at 12:26pm
Welcome to the group! Congrats on your 178! There are several folks on the forum that run dual batteries. They should be able to assist you.
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
Pete Brayton View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2016 at 1:41pm
The propane detector is always drawing power but, I don't think it would drain two batteries in a few days.  I don't think the tank/battery monitor is a very good determiner of battery charge state or water levels for that matter from what I've read on this forum.  Also, you might check to make sure all other power using devices are turned off like the tv antenna.  I've placed an ammeter between the positive terminal of the battery and the disconnected positive battery cable to determine how much and if there is a current draw from various electrical devices on the camper, you could try that to see if something is still using power when everything else appears to be turned off. You might also get the batteries checked to see if they're still good. Have you placed a voltmeter across one of your batteries while your camper is plugged in to see if your converter is actually getting power to the batteries? Just a few suggestions that I hope might help.  Hopefully others will provide some more ideas. Good luck!
johnmaci View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2016 at 2:21pm
1. Shore power will keep the battery from discharging (trickle charge), but is not meant to recharge a low or dead battery. You need to fully charge them with a proper charger, then they should stay topped off when on 120v

2. I would either contact the dealer and have them check/replace or simply take them to a battery shop and have them test. These may be bad batteries from the dealer and you would need to work this out with them.

3. Batteries have a point (usually 50%) where if you drain them below that minimum charge, you dramatically lower the lifespan (and will eventually need to replace them if continued).

4. Depending on how discharged they are, it may take 24hrs (or more) to fully charge your batteries. 
I would charge the batteries individually (not as connected to the trailer). Again, this is using a proper battery charger. 
I use a NOCO Genius:
http://www.amazon.com/NOCO-G750-UltraSafe-Battery-Charger/dp/B004LX3AS6/ref=sr_1_12?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1456341536&sr=1-12&keywords=battery+tender
(but you can use pretty much any brand you like).

5. If your batteries are connected to your trailer, there will always be a "phantom" drain from the CO2 detector etc. but should not drain your "fully" charged batteries in a couple of days if all other things are off. Also, one bad or low battery may drain the other when connected in series or parallel.

Im sure others will chime in and correct anything I have misrepresented......

Happy Camping!

codycountry View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2016 at 3:08pm
I've got twin batteries on my 2013 177.  Winter time I charge them ~once a month overnight.  They never fall below 3/4 full on the wall meter with that procedure, and those aren't new batteries. 
Like Pete said, check the little button for your antenna boost.  It is easy to leave it on by accident. I left mine on and it would wear one battery down in a couple days, and both of them in a few days more.  I'll bet that's what is going on with yours unless your batteries are shot.  Good luck.
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2016 at 4:59pm
Do not rely on the little 4 light panel for battery charge. It is notoriously inaccurate on all it's functions. The fourth light indicates the battery is being charged. It will drop back to three lights after a time when you disconnect the charging source. The best indicator is specific gravity. The next best method is a digital volt meter after the batteries have been resting for a few hours. 
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
codycountry View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2016 at 6:23pm
Strange, my four light display shows when fully charged with all four lights on for a week or more after I charge the batteries.   It does not drop back to three lights unless I power something up for use and run awhile, or the batteries discharge over time. 
I gave up using a hydrometer when I graduated from college. It reminds me too much of chemistry class.  
Hope you are safe and well there in NW Florida Charlie.  Some bad weather brewing there the last couple days.  Flew over your area yesterday on the way home from Daytona and it wasn't looking good down there.   Tie your Rpod down and keep your head low. 
Wink
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2016 at 7:42pm
Not much to add to the great comments above.  I have 5 year old batteries that are still in decent shape and since we normally camp where no electricity is available (national parks, national and or state forest campgrounds) the batteries get used a lot.  I use a trickle charger for my batteries.  Set at 2 amps it may take 2 - 2.5 days to bring to fully charge/ battery.  Maybe I put more faith in the light display than I ought but when it shows I am discharged 2/3 I change over to the other battery. They receive a trickle charge before 'hibernation' in late October and then again in mid-March I will give them another trickle charge before getting ready for the camping season.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2016 at 8:16pm
Originally posted by codycountry

Strange, my four light display shows when fully charged with all four lights on for a week or more after I charge the batteries.   It does not drop back to three lights unless I power something up for use and run awhile, or the batteries discharge over time. 
Wink

They seem to vary  from unit to unit. Generally the fourth light is set to illuminate at 13+ volts, but experience is varied.

BTW, we got lots of wind and rain here last night, but no damage. Tnx and Camp On!

Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2016 at 8:40pm
Originally posted by johnmaci

1. Shore power will keep the battery from discharging (trickle charge), but is not meant to recharge a low or dead battery. You need to fully charge them with a proper charger, then they should stay topped off when on 120v. This is wrong. The pod has a pretty darn good 3 stage charger that is specifically designed to charge and maintain the battery(ies) just fine.

2. I would either contact the dealer and have them check/replace or simply take them to a battery shop and have them test. These may be bad batteries from the dealer and you would need to work this out with them.

3. Batteries have a point (usually 50%) where if you drain them below that minimum charge, you dramatically lower the lifespan (and will eventually need to replace them if continued).

4. Depending on how discharged they are, it may take 24hrs (or more) to fully charge your batteries. 
I would charge the batteries individually (not as connected to the trailer). Again, this is using a proper battery charger. 
I use a NOCO Genius:
http://www.amazon.com/NOCO-G750-UltraSafe-Battery-Charger/dp/B004LX3AS6/ref=sr_1_12?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1456341536&sr=1-12&keywords=battery+tender
(but you can use pretty much any brand you like).

5. If your batteries are connected to your trailer, there will always be a "phantom" drain from the CO2 detector etc. but should not drain your "fully" charged batteries in a couple of days if all other things are off. Also, one bad or low battery may drain the other when connected in series or parallel.

Im sure others will chime in and correct anything I have misrepresented......

Happy Camping!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>