R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFridge Gas Burner - Event Date: 25 Feb 2016

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Fridge Gas Burner
    Posted: 25 Feb 2016 at 5:39pm
Anyone attack your fridge gas burner?
Here's what I have. There's a rectangular manifold; LP line attached to one end with an orifice entering manifold. Then there are two holes which I believe were probably fusible plugs which have probably melted or blown out and are gone because gas escapes and ignites so there's no flame on the thermocouple from the burner at the end.
Okay.
Anyone know where I can get a new manifold with a burner since I suspect the burner is plugged.
BTW I tried cleaning the burner with contact cleaner but with two holes in the manifold it was pretty pointless but I'm into pointless maintenance sometimes to relieve stress.
And the beer is not getting cold.
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2016 at 7:40pm
Before you go to those extents, check your manual for cleaning instructions. It is not only a matter of brushing out the flue to remove built-up carbon, etc. The manual says to clean both the flue and burner. Contact cleaner is not what is recommended. Methanol (wood alcohol) followed by blowing it out with compressed air is what the manual specifies. It is likely that the burner is plugged.

I don't have our R-Pod here right now to look, but those holes are probably not fusible plugs. It would be the same as your backyard BBQ grill. After the gas escapes the jet/orfice, the holes allow the gas to mix with air. It then travels through the burner tube to the burner where it is ignited. If it is igniting at the two holes, then it is quite likely that the burner is plugged, and the gas/air mixture can't get through to burn in the correct location.

If you do not have the tools or expertise to disassemble the burner to clean it properly and to pressure test it once it is reassembled, you may wish to have this done by your RV service department. If it is done wrong, you could be setting yourself up for big trouble.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2016 at 8:08pm
Great advice Stephen!  A neighbor of ours nearly burned his house down after a do it yourself "fix-it" job on his gas grill.  And to compound the problem he did this close to his home.  Fortunately the fire department got it put out before it was a total loss.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2016 at 9:37am
We're a bit familiar with this type of problem. When we picked up our R-Pod from the dealer in December, we had a week to get ready for a long first trip. The first night out, I tried to switch from 12V power to LP, only to have the refrigerator beep at me. After several attempts to restart, a friend and I removed the outside vent panels so we could see what was happening.

It turns out that mud dauber wasps had built a nest in the flue, preventing the flame from going in the right direction. Instead, it was shooting out backwards toward the wires, burning the insulation. We were not too far from the dealer at this point so we took it over. That is when they found the mud dauber nest. At first, they said it could have happened in the week we had the R-Pod. That did not make sense as it was December and we had a couple of hard freezes already. I am sure it happened while the R-Pod was sitting on their lot.

They cleared out the nest and ordered replacement parts. They recommended that we not use the LP part on our trip. We did have to use the LP part since we were dry camping across the country and needed the 12V power for other purposes. In spite of the insulation being blistered, it worked okay for the rest of our trip. Our R-Pod is at the dealer's shop where that has been repaired and we are waiting on parts for another repair. We should be able to pick it up next week.

While I might have been able to do this myself, it was a brand new R-Pod, so I wanted the dealer to take care of it. Also, like I mentioned, LP is nothing to play around with if you do not have the right tools or the understanding of what needs to be done. The manual would have given me the understanding, but not necessarily the tools.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2016 at 10:25am
Stephen, I am sure you are absolutely correct that the mud daubers built that nest while the pod was at the dealers lot.  I don't know why but we have had similar problems with those insects as well.  It only takes 2-3 days for them to mess up the flue as we have experienced first hand.  It would seem there is no way for them to get in there but I did find a spot inside and caulked it shut, so now, no more issues.  Another spot that can cause grief is the exhaust port from the furnace.  During hibernation (winter storage) I cover those 2 openings with steel wool to keep the mice out - works very well - no issues there either. 
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2016 at 10:39am
I installed the Camco stainless steel screens on refrigerator, furnace, and water heater openings after we got back from our trip in January. I don't believe they will be able to get in now.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Rupert View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2016 at 12:00pm
Thanks for all the excellent advice! I'll be cleaning the burner with wood alcohol today. Bought Rupert second hand so I didn't have the fridge manual (or it's buried under maps and guide books) but also visited U-tube. All my work has been down-stream of the valve so I haven't had to open the pressurized portion of the system. I actually have sporadic experience servicing and repairing large boilers and some residential furnaces in Miami and Jacksonville, Fl. (not a lot of call for furnaces in Miami...) and have a manometer but won't need it here.
I've encountered fusible plugs in some industrial air conditioning but I guess they would be useless in furnaces Thanks for the steel wool idea and now I'll check for dauber nests before we set out.
Okay! Here I go again!
Tom
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2016 at 5:59pm
yes, those holes are supposed to be there.  The orifice inside the manifold is very delicate, so if you open it up only use the alcohol mentioned, and/or air.  No brushes, rags, etc.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2016 at 7:18pm
Given the symptoms described in the initial post, I suspect the jet/orifice is not plugged. However, it is likely the flue and/or the burner end opposite the orifice is likely plugged, either fully or partially. Definitely no pins, needles, or brushes on the orifice.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
J&Jcf View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2016 at 4:58pm
I would take the gas line / burner off in one piece. Use a pipe cleaner to clean out the whole piece. I have had this happen in a previous trailer on a gas stove burner and fridge gas burner. It was caused by spider webs/ egg pouch.It's worth a try. The gas could not get through.
J. - 2011 rpod 171
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>