R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedChoosing the right Rpod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Choosing the right Rpod
    Posted: 28 Feb 2016 at 4:54pm
We have had a 179 for one camping season about 60 nights. We have never used either the indoor or outdoor shower, for us the bathroom is mostly for the middle of the night or inclement weather. The 179's best features are storage and kitchen, the bed is comfortable for 2 short people. The dinette is tolerable for eating and OK for watching TV, reading or computing and useless as a bed without considerable modification to the cushions. Since we came from a tent we feel we are in the lap of luxury and we are thrilled with the 179 as our traveling base. 

As others have suggested go lock your selves in bring a book or take a nap and see what works.
Ron & Sharon
2015 R-Pod 179
2022 Nissan Frontier

No trees were harmed in the sending of this message but a billion electrons were really agitated
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2016 at 7:35pm
Have to agree with Travis and Carrie.  That is the test to take and prayerfully you will agree on the same unit.  That is basically what we did and settled on the 177 and for  us it has been the cats meow (yes, we like cats).  Dogs are ok too.  We feel quite blessed as we go into our 6th year with our 177.  We still remember the days of tenting and pop-ups, and how nice it is not to have to fuss with wet canvas when it is raining, sleeting, snowing or in cold windy weather, or putting up the tent or tearing down in those conditions.  The pod is cozy
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
David and Danette View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2016 at 9:03pm
    I keep thinking of the times camping in a tent and then think of the r-pod that we had and the Vibe we have now. Then I think of all the conveniences and at my age I do not want to go back to a tent and definitely not my wife. The r-pods are so easy to tow and maneuver, I have often thought of a larger camper with more space but do not want to deal with the towing of a larger camper. I like the r-pods and our Vibe they are a nice compact package with all the conveniences.
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

Patriot Dave View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2016 at 3:21pm
Hey my wife and I are going through that very same thing right now and with the same models you mentioned.

We have even started pro and con lists. We have set in both models for several hours.

We are in Michigan and will be camping probably 9 months out of the year. So there will be times we will be inside for longer periods of time so the R-pod needs to be comfortable.

I have no doubt you have been having the same conversations as we have. I think we are leaning to the 179 however i just wish the bathroom was not directly across from the eating area, I enjoy setting and looking out while having my morning coffee. Additionally I would prefer eating directly across from my wife than side by side. there than that the 179 gets the edge. At least for today. Choices Choices....... Grrrrrrrr.

Let us know what you decide. LOL
Patriot Dave
Dave & Joyce
Never Forget, In God We Trust; This Our National Motto.
Member; Patriot Guard Riders, Michigan Chapter
Retired; So Every Day is Saturday.... Except Sunday
ronahue View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2016 at 3:26pm
I was wondering why my wife taped a poster of Paul Newman from "Cool Hand Luke" on the bathroom door. I thought it was because she liked his salad dressingBig smile
Ron & Sharon
2015 R-Pod 179
2022 Nissan Frontier

No trees were harmed in the sending of this message but a billion electrons were really agitated
Camper Bob View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2016 at 4:42pm
Another question I think you have to ask yourselves.  Why are you camping?  Do you want to be "with" the great outdoors.  Campfires in the evening, hiking, sitting outside watching nature.  Or, do you prefer being entertained?  TV, eating and relaxing inside, etc.  Our choice for a number of reasons was the 171.  Only the two of us, and Gracie.  We enjoy sitting outside, chatting with neighbors, occasional hikes, and communing  with nature.  We even special ordered our Pod without a tv or antenna.  Reading a good book, getting some sun, these are the reasons we have a 171.  We have an easy-up for the occasional rainy day.  We can sit under it and enjoy the rain.  I have to admit here in Oregon, we don't have those pesky mosquitoes, that make the outside screened porch a must.  Examine what kind of camping you want and that will help you make a decision.  Save Travels.
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 LB. Mini Dachshund)
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2016 at 4:49pm
We considered the 180 for the bigger bathroom, but that didn't leave much room for "lounging" area. Also, my wife has knee problems and typically uses a shower seat, so a wet bath was ideal for her. The choice then came down to the 178 or 179 and we chose the 179 for the counter space and storage space.
Camper Bob View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2016 at 4:54pm
Sounds like you made the right choice for you.  Safe Travels.
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 LB. Mini Dachshund)
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2016 at 5:28pm
Camper Bob,  We are in the same thought as you as to why we camp.  Also special ordered ours so it did NOT have A/C, entertainment center, microwave/convection oven.  Since we dry camp a lot and electricity is not available we figured, why carry all this excess if it doesn't get used.  So far after 5 years there has been a total of 2 times we thought it would have been nice to have A/C, but since we were in an area that didn't have electricity, it became a moot issue. 

Yes we camp to explore God's great outdoors.  Even if it is cold and raining we would still rather hike than sit inside.  We go pretty basic and feel pretty spoiled with our 177 as it was a HUGE upgrade from tenting and pop-up camping which we were used to.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
Patriot Dave View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2016 at 5:33pm
Now thats got me to thinking ................ just maybe i could hang a Shania Twain poster.. LOL
Dave & Joyce
Never Forget, In God We Trust; This Our National Motto.
Member; Patriot Guard Riders, Michigan Chapter
Retired; So Every Day is Saturday.... Except Sunday
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>