R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closeddoor window

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: door window
    Posted: 03 Mar 2016 at 2:47pm
I added a sliding window to the door of our 179 according to directions here on the forum. Went well and came out very nice.  I had no idea how thin the fiberglass/ resin skin on the trailer was.  And as easy as it was to drill a starter hole and cut out the opening, I will become extra vigilant concerning jousting matches with over head tree branches.  I have been very lucky so far.
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2016 at 5:52pm
I purchased a window. When you put the screws in, where to they go? Did you have to drill the flat part or do they go into the channel next to it?

Did your inner ring come with a metal piece holding it together? Did you leave that on or did you remove it? It would be nice if there were instructions and some detailed pictures.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
john in idaho View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2016 at 10:44am
The screws have a drill bit on the pointy end, and go into a channel on the window frame.  It takes a few revolutions to get the hole started then the threads catch and it goes in.  That metal piece holds the inner frame together.  I suppose one could paint it to match bur I left mine alone .  When you put the two together, shine a flashlight into the hole and you will see the channel.   I found that the upper and bottom hinges were very tight so I have lubed them to hopefully free the hinges so they don't over stress the door frame.
Craneman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2016 at 10:53am
Pictures pictures pictures says alot
Jo and Gary, 2010-174,2011 F150

Jo and Gary
2010 174
2011 Ford 150

furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2016 at 12:16pm
On ours, I screwed the two together on a table, THEN installed into the hole I cut, so I didn't have to fight starting the self taping screws while holding the window and inner trim ring in place, all at the same time.
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2016 at 1:48pm
Got it done! The most nerve racking part: cutting the opening. The hardest part: Starting those screws. A power driver helped greatly. I am glad extra screws were included. Smile

I also removed the silver-colored clip holding the trim together. It was ugly. Thumbs Down  Afterward, I used a little black silicone sealant to fill the gap and a little black paint to touch up the trim where the clip had been. It looks a lot better that way.

StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
timpod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2016 at 10:15pm
Which window (make/model/size) is that?  Looks a good fit.
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2016 at 10:25pm
It is this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013TFWWW6?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

If I were to re-do this, I would probably mount it about 2" higher than I did. It is a little low for me, but perfect for my wife. I need to duck a bit to see out straight, but she can see out fine.

Ventilation is great. I think it will be handy when cooking as with the vent fan running, it pulls a nice breeze in through the open window without requiring that the whole door be open. It also adds some nice daylight to that end of the trailer. This really improves the looks of that side of the R-Pod. Why it is not standard is beyond me.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
GLBCamper View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2016 at 11:36pm
I am very interested in this mod, but what do you do for blinds? I hate the thought of feeling like I am in a fishbowl after dark with the inside lights on. Anyone added window coverings to a door window, too?
Old: 2014 177 HRE
2015 Tacoma V6 4x4 Double Cab
New: 2016 EVO ATS 200rd
2016 F150 4x4 Sport
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2016 at 11:42pm
We have not gotten that far yet. It should not be too difficult.

Edit:

I got to looking. Here is one option:
http://www.adventurerv.net/reflective-door-window-cover-solar-door-shade-p-1075.htm

This would be easy. I already have some of the material on hand, sufficient to make a cover. The one for sale just uses Velcro strips to hold it in place. The advantage would be that it would be inexpensive to make. Also, it would help insulate. The disadvantage is that it would have to be removed and stowed somewhere when one wanted to be able to look out of the window or open it for ventilation.

Another option on the same site is to purchase slider track and sliders and make a fabric curtains like the curtains on the kitchen window in the 179. That would require ordering some material from Forest River so that it would match. However, such curtains could remain in place and just use a fabric tie to hold them open when desired.

StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
 Post Reply Post Reply