R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHonda Odessey Towing - Event Date: 06 Mar 2016

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Honda Odessey Towing
    Posted: 24 Mar 2016 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by Captiankd

CensoredI want to thank everyone for your input, it has been very helpful. 

I picked up our new r pod 171 Tuesday in Sebring fl and brought it home some 65 mile on flat roads. My 2015 Honda Odyssey with a weight distribution hitch and sway bar brought it home.

The only problem is that the transmission ran 70% of the time in a lower gear. Instead of 2000 to 2500 rpm I was running at 3000 to 3500 rams. I could not really stay at 65 mph and the car kept going down to 55 mph. I do have a transmission cooler which I guess helped the transmission.

But I are really worried about going out west and into the Rockies. I am going to take a beating if I trade the new Honda for something else. What should I look for? A used Ford Expedition or what. Do you think I can rent some think for a couple of months for towing?

Again, I need help.

OP - here's another good thread with lots of advice about tow vehicle choices.
 http://www.rpod-owners.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=7590
My recommendation? If you are worried about the cost, find a newer used diesel SUV like a Jeep Grand Cherokee or VW Touareg, or look at the diesel Colorado/Canyon small pickup. That one's new so it may cost you more. You'll tow so much easier - mountains/flats/hills/valleys - it doesn't matter. Or look for an F150 or other Ford SUV with the small turbo gas engine. They produce a lot of torque as well. Lots of people have lots of opinions about gas vs diesel, but if you can get high torque at low RPMs, you'll love towing your RPOD much more. 
Dave - 2016 Silverado 2500HD LML - 2010 RP172T
ToolmanJohn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2016 at 6:28pm
Originally posted by dacolson

+1 
Totally agree. Towed our 172t home from Duluth MN to Minneapolis 6 years ago with an 08 Odyssey and promptly upgraded it to an 07 VW Touareg TDI. Would have it still except I didn't want to spend 10K replacing both turbos. Bought a 13 4Runner. Spent the next 3 years towing in 3rd/4th gear. Gave up and bought a Silverado. It may hurt right now to make the upgrade, but don't suffer for years with the wrong TV like I did. I dreaded each trip. Added stress. These campers are the best mix of light weight, convenience, great features and quality you can get for the money. They are still difficult to tow with the wrong vehicle. 

A Touareg V10 TDI is serious overkill for an R-Pod LOL .LOL..You could tow 3 of them simultaneously with that torque monster. I agree on giving it up if the turbos went south. $$$$.. So much money to keep maintained.

The Touareg 4.2L TDI V8, only available in Europe, are now ceasing production so I've heard, but it would be a hell of a daily driver/tow vehicle, not that I could afford to buy or maintain one.Ouch

If the new Jeep GC diesel made a miraculous improvement in reliability and road handling, I would take another look. I am still hoping that Toyota-Nissan-Ford-Chevy build a new diesel SUV , but VW kinda screwed it up, and it's going to be a while before car makers jump into North America with diesel options.

As long as I'm towing a camper, I'll never go back to a gas engine.
2017 ATC 7X20 Custom Toy Hauler
2013 R-Pod 177 (SOLD)
2013 VW Touareg TDI
dacolson View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2016 at 6:38pm
[/QUOTE]
 As long as I'm towing a camper, I'll never go back to a gas engine.
[/QUOTE]
popcorn ... here come the gasser rants LOL
Captiankd View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2016 at 7:17pm
What are the thoughts on a Ford Expedition. There are a bunch of used ones for sale at pretty good prices. All are gas engines but have tow pa lagers.
dacolson View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2016 at 7:26pm
You'd be fine. More than fine. Plenty of power. It's built on a truck chassis too. It's on the F150 chassis. On the new ones, you can even get the V6 ecoBoost. 
Model YearType/modelPowerTorque
2006–20085.4 Liter (331 cu in) 24-valve SOHC VCT Triton V-8 gasoline300 hp (224 kW)365 lb·ft (495 N·m)
2009–20145.4 Liter (331 cu in) 24-valve SOHC VCT Triton V-8 gasoline/E85 ethanol310 hp (231 kW)365 lb·ft (495 N·m)
2015–present3.5 Liter (213 cu in) 24-valve DOHC Ti-VCT EcoBoost V-6 gasoline365 hp (272 kW)420 lb·ft (569 N·m)

From: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Expedition#Third_generation_.282007.E2.80.93present.29
Captiankd View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2016 at 10:26am
EmbarrassedOk, I am looking at cars on Truecar.  The Dodge Durango looks pretty good but was wondering if I can get by with the 6 cyl. or do I need to go to the V8.

6 cyl. $29.626
295 HP @ 640
260 @ 4000 torque

V8 $39,982
360 Hp @ 5150
390 @ 4250 Torque

If I must go to the V8 then I will go for a used one. A new one would replace my 2015 Honda Odyssey, but not the used one.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2016 at 10:57am
Originally posted by Captiankd

EmbarrassedOk, I am looking at cars on Truecar.  The Dodge Durango looks pretty good but was wondering if I can get by with the 6 cyl. or do I need to go to the V8.6 cyl. $29.626295 HP @ 640260 @ 4000 torqueV8 $39,982360 Hp @ 5150390 @ 4250 TorqueIf I must go to the V8 then I will go for a used one. A new one would replace my 2015 Honda Odyssey, but not the used one.

.wondering if I can get by with the 6 cyl.

I think you could "get by" on the 6 cyl.
That said, I don't know that you would notice a huge difference between that and your Honda - to justify the expense of the trade/purchase. However, there is a guy here that tows with the 3.8 in a Dodge Minivan and is happy with it.

The V8 sounds like the Hemi and would most definitely do the job - considering your plans include the Rocky Mountains. One of the reasons it cost more is because that is the one everybody wants (supply/demand). I suspect you would notice a big difference between the Honda and the Hemi.

Good luck.

dacolson View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2016 at 11:05am
Disclaimer! I hate to be a negative influence on your buying decisions, so please keep in mind this is based on my experience only. 
That said, I've tried towing with 2 different V6 vehicles - an 08 Odyssey and a 13 4Runner. Both had enough power on paper to suffice. In reality, the Honda wasn't even close for me and the 4Runner still hunted all over for the right gear unless I left it in manual mode in 4th. Even then, on the hills it would jump down to 3rd and even 2nd all the time. My mileage was never over 12mpg when towing - often 10mpg on longer trips. No better than a V8. I will not purchase a V6 gas vehicle to tow a camper other than a popup again. THIS IS MY OPINION and EXPERIENCE ONLY ... But that's the point of forums, right? My bet is there are a ton of folks doing just that and happy with it. Maybe take a look at consumer reports on reliability, etc and get comfortable with a good used option if you find yourself getting out of the comfort zone on price. Best of luck!
Old Dingo&Mrs.Dingo View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2016 at 4:03pm
Captiankd, I pull a 181G with a '13 Jeep Grand Cherokee, equipped with a Hemi V8.  I have never wished for or needed more power.  As for mileage, 12 @ 55mph and less that 10 @70, I have pulled the 'Pod at 85 mph up the mountains of WV, never had it even near the floor.  Buy the tow vehicle you want, but I never heard anyone complain about having "too much power".
Old Dingo and/or Mrs. Dingo
181G
2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Captiankd View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2016 at 3:34pm
Thumbs Up OK, I met with the Honda people today and talked about my trip. My weight will be under 3000 fully loaded. Tranny cooler installed, weight dist. hitch installed, sway bar installed. Will not carry any water, fresh, gray or black. Will use either a AeroPlus or a AeroShield (two different companies.)

Will be doing this trip into the rockies only one time.

They said I would be fine, no problems. Use premium fuel and also use the D4 gear when going up hills which provides added torque. (Do not know if this is new for 2015)

So lets hear from everyone.
Thanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>