R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHonda Odessey Towing - Event Date: 06 Mar 2016

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Honda Odessey Towing
    Posted: 06 Mar 2016 at 10:52am
We have just bought a new 2015 R-Pod 171. We will be towing with a 2015 Honda Odessey LX with a towing capacity of 3500#.

We have not picked up the camper as yet. The dealer will be installing a weight distribution hitch and sway bar, plus the wiring for the electric brakes.

We had the Honda dealer install the Curtis tow bar and a transmission cooler.

We plan to do the western National parks this summer for two months.

Any thoughts on these plans will be welcome. Do you think we will be OK with the Honda Odessey?
M0tl3y View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2016 at 12:04pm
Take a look at your owner's manual and pay attention to the towing section. It looks like your towing capacity drops quickly, based on occupancy and load. With the 171 being about 2,300lbs to start, then you load in your equipment and people, you'll likely be on the boarder most of the time. 

If you stay in limit, you'll be fine on flat road, just watch the hills and take it slow so you don't overheat and burnout the transmission. 

From the Owner's Manual:

Number of occupants Equip with ATF cooler

2 3,500 lbs (1,587 kg)

3 3,350 lbs (1,520 kg)

4 3,200 lbs (1,451 kg)

5 3,050 lbs (1,383 kg)

6 2,900 lbs (1,315 kg)

7 1,450 lbs (658 kg)

8 Towing not recommended

The 178 club
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2016 at 12:42pm
I would want more tv for the western mountains. But that's just me. I would want more tv even in the plains of the midwest. 
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2016 at 7:17pm
Welcome to the group!!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
Captiankd View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2016 at 9:04pm
Thanks for the welcome. Still not sure what to do. We bought the Honda Odessey with the idea of pulling a pop up through the western national parks this summer. We bought a pop up and used it on three camping trips. Set up is just too much for us. I am 75, wife 69. We saw a R Pod at a camp ground and really liked it. We sold our pop up in one day. 

We have told a dealer that we will buy the 2015 #171, but have not paid yet, but will do so next week or back out of the deal. But we want the 171.

Now we may need a better tow vehicle,  maybe a Pathfinder. But we are on a fixed income and will see if we can trade our new Honda for a Pathfinder or just go with the Honda.

What a dilemma!
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2016 at 9:52pm
If it is any comfort, we towed an R-Pod 179 from North Carolina to Nevada, then to Arizona, and returned to North Carolina with a Ford Escape SE with 2L Ecoboost engine. The Escape is also rated for 3500 lbs. Ours came with the factory tow package which included the transmission cooler.

Performance was fine, even when we were hitting the hills. We went across on I40 and returned via I10 to I20 to I85. We did not have any climbs that were really long and steep, but it towed well. Mileage on that trip, which included some significant head and cross winds varied between 8 and 14 mpg.

Since our return, I added two items that should help. The first is an AeroPlus wind deflector. It deflects the air upward and is supposed to (and apparently does) reduce the wind resistance. We only got to test it briefly when we picked up our R-Pod from the dealer. It will take some longer trips to verify, but it did seem to improve our gas mileage. We purchased online direct from PurpleLine, and got a good price without a middleman markup. They accidentally sent one that had been returned, so PurpleLine refunded part of the cost to make it the "open box" price. It does require a roof rack on which to mount it. If you don't have one, then Icon Direct sells one called the AeroShield.

The second item is an OBDII scanner teamed with the Torque Pro Android app. This is to help me see how the vehicle is performing, and provides gauges for things like transmission temperature and many other parameters. The one I purchased was this one:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005NLQAHS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I, like you, purchased the Escape, thinking we would be getting something smaller and lighter. Since we too cannot trade, we looked for something that would be towable. The R-Pod meets that requirement. The added advantage is that when we are not towing, we have a very economical vehicle that meets our average daily needs very well.

One caveat: Make sure you get a good weight distribution hitch with sway control. We have the Equal-i-zer 4 way sway control hitch. It performs well, but the disadvantage is that the hitch head is very heavy. I found a tool to assist:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HSO37B0?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s01

I cannot recommend this tool highly enough. What a difference it makes in moving the heavy hitch head around and attaching and detaching it to the receiver! It also works with 2" hitch balls, which is what my hitch has.

You might also consider the Andersen No Sway hitch since it would be lighter and easier to work with.

http://www.amazon.com/3324-Andersen-No-sway-Weight-Distribution/dp/B009V70ZP8/ref=sr_1_8?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1457318853&sr=1-8&keywords=Andersen+hitch

Note: I am not endorsing Amazon. It was just convenient to link to pictures and descriptions there. If you decide to purchase an item, please use the business of your choice to do so.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
2P$InAPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2016 at 10:28pm
Hi, our TV is a 2002 Honda Odyssey and we have everything else you mentioned. We have no problem towing our 2015 R179. We were at smokey mountain national park last year, again no issues. Although we try not to go too far from our home base because we have an older vehicle. I think yours will be fine. Hope this help. Just try not to overload. Happy rpoding.
David and Kris
2015 RPod 179
2002 Honda Odyssey LX
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2016 at 7:02am
We tow with our Dodge Caravan in the Green Mountain of Vermont and the White Mountains of New Hampshire, and also the Pocano's.
Haven't had any problems so far. We usually get 13.5 mpg when in the mountains and 15.5-16.5 once we get down to flat land.
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
Captiankd View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2016 at 8:20am
This forum is great! I want to thank everyone that has responded to this tread with great input. I onw feel pretty confident that we will be OK. I am going to do all the suggestions.
Thanks to everyone.LOL
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2016 at 9:42am
I will have to modify my previous comment. We did have some significant climbs. Examples are ones like I40 entering NM from TX.. Another was the climb up out of Kingman, AZ heading toward Las Vegas. A third was climbing up out of the valley where Las Cruces, NM is located. Those were fairly long and steep climbs.Perhaps the reason I did not remember them was because the Escape performed so well. There are probably more significant climbs both in length and steepness in the northern Rockies, but I think most of the Interstate highways would be okay.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>