R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHonda Odessey Towing - Event Date: 06 Mar 2016

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Honda Odessey Towing
    Posted: 07 Mar 2016 at 5:29pm
Welcome.  Based on your first post you have done almost everything you can.  I would take StephenH's advice and get the OBDII scanner + Torque (or one of the plug-n-play options out there, but they are more expensive).  You would be amazed how much your oil and tranny temps will climb, even if you have the tranny cooler, on the big climbs up the Rockies.  One thing most people forget is you are not only doing a long pull, you are doing it at 7000-10,000 feet so there is less air flowing, too.

Personally I upgraded from a Sienna to Suburban before doing trips out to the Rockies, after a long trip to Florida with a massive head wind.  99% of the time the Sienna was fine, but I didn't want to push it in the most extreme conditions.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Captiankd View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2016 at 6:45pm
Thanks.
The Aeroplus air deflector looks like a must. I will do that also.
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2016 at 7:11pm
Good luck!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
NormanHill View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2016 at 9:27pm
OK, a couple of comments and I hope I don't get jumped on too badly:

I like a oversized tow vehicle and just traded from an older, smaller engine F150' to a new 5.0 F150. TV size was fine but I found myself getting too slow on the hills. I wouldn't like the Honda for a few reasons. I don't like towing with  front wheel drive because WD becomes too important. I also like having a significantly heavier TV than my trailer so I don't get pushed around. And finally, I want my TV to have at least twice the rating of the trailer weight. This last one is pretty conservative.

I like your van a lot and almost bought one last year, but I suggest looking at a smaller trailer, like Scamp or Casita. Both a bit more money than the pod and smaller, but easy to,pull.

You didn't say what percentage of the time you'll be using the Honda for towing vs a daily driver. For me, that would influence what I buy.
Captiankd View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2016 at 2:17pm
CensoredI want to thank everyone for your input, it has been very helpful. 

I picked up our new r pod 171 Tuesday in Sebring fl and brought it home some 65 mile on flat roads. My 2015 Honda Odyssey with a weight distribution hitch and sway bar brought it home.

The only problem is that the transmission ran 70% of the time in a lower gear. Instead of 2000 to 2500 rpm I was running at 3000 to 3500 rams. I could not really stay at 65 mph and the car kept going down to 55 mph. I do have a transmission cooler which I guess helped the transmission.

But I are really worried about going out west and into the Rockies. I am going to take a beating if I trade the new Honda for something else. What should I look for? A used Ford Expedition or what. Do you think I can rent some think for a couple of months for towing?

Again, I need help.
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2016 at 7:42pm
Our 2016 Ford Escape SE has the 2L Ecoboost (turbocharged) engine. We just took our RP-179 to the dealer today to have the tank supports checked and fixed (there were some places where the threads on the screws were showing and/or one of the screws was bent). We had no problems maintaining 60 MPH (maximum speed for the AeroPlus per the instructions). Mileage shows a definite improvement also over driving without it. Ford recommends (and we used) premium gasoline while towing. It allows the engine to develop more power since it would not have the tendency toward pre-ignition (knocking) that lower grades of gasoline would have, so the engine's computer can tune for more power. Ford specs for the 2L Ecoboost are 240 HP at 5500 rpm and 270 lb.-ft@3000 rpm. Curb weight is @3592 lb.

If your engine is naturally aspirated, there is not much you can do. While the Honda site specs the engine at 248 hp@5700 rpm and 250 lb.-ft-lb.@4800 rpm, the Honda also starts out with a curb weight of 4581 lb. This is about 1000 lb. more than my Escape. The naturally aspirated engine of the Honda also does not have quite as much punch as the turbocharged 2L of the Escape, even though it has two more cylinders.

Unfortunately, the only thing you can do is to find a vehicle more suited for towing your R-Pod than the Honda. You will take a beating, but if it is very low mileage, you might not take quite so much a beating since one of the selling points of Honda is that they are supposed to retain value better than some other brands. I don't know if you would be able to rent a vehicle for towing. That would be best asked of the rental companies. The cost of renting a car might be significantly more than the hit you would take if you were to trade it.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2016 at 8:32pm
captainkd - did you have overdrive disengaged?
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
ToolmanJohn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2016 at 9:06pm
Your transmission seems to has 6 speeds, but with only 248hp/250tq , and respectively all your power comes at 5700RPM/4700RPM, you will have to keep the tranny in one lower gear (5th) while towing. You will never be able to run in the tallest gear, and if you stay in D (Drive) it will hunt. You might even be limited to towing 55-60 mph. At lower rpm's, the Honda V6 is not making peak HP or Torque. If you can stand to drive 55 mph, I recommend it to save the engine from overworking. Use premium fuel when towing to make the most power.

I can attest to what a difference the engine/transmission combo makes. I had a 2003 Toyota 4runner, 4.0 6cyl, 235hp/282tq, with a 4 speed automatic. It could NOT hold 4th gear (OD) at 55 mph or higher towing my 177. Forcing it into 3rd, I could pull 65 mpg on the flats at about 3100+ rpm, but had to back off on any hills or risk sending it into 2nd and ridiculous RPM territory. Towing taught me to not be in a hurry.

In contrast, my diesel 3.0 liter TDI has 240hp/406tq. 8 speed automatic. I do not have to take it out of drive. 90% of my tow trip is in overdrive at about 2000 rpm.  The only time it downshifts is pulling climbs, and never below 6th, about 3200 rpm. 
2017 ATC 7X20 Custom Toy Hauler
2013 R-Pod 177 (SOLD)
2013 VW Touareg TDI
NormanHill View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2016 at 9:21pm
One thing not mentioned when we've been discussing tow ratings for these vehicles is that if you only read the table from the manual you are neglecting the load caused by drag. Ford limits the tow table to trailers that don't exceed a front surface area of 35 sq ft. The wind load on camper trailers has a big effect on TV performance, and I haven't noticed that the curved top on the pod helps much. 

dacolson View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2016 at 5:53pm
Originally posted by ToolmanJohn

Your transmission seems to has 6 speeds, but with only 248hp/250tq , and respectively all your power comes at 5700RPM/4700RPM, you will have to keep the tranny in one lower gear (5th) while towing. You will never be able to run in the tallest gear, and if you stay in D (Drive) it will hunt. You might even be limited to towing 55-60 mph. At lower rpm's, the Honda V6 is not making peak HP or Torque. If you can stand to drive 55 mph, I recommend it to save the engine from overworking. Use premium fuel when towing to make the most power.

I can attest to what a difference the engine/transmission combo makes. I had a 2003 Toyota 4runner, 4.0 6cyl, 235hp/282tq, with a 4 speed automatic. It could NOT hold 4th gear (OD) at 55 mph or higher towing my 177. Forcing it into 3rd, I could pull 65 mpg on the flats at about 3100+ rpm, but had to back off on any hills or risk sending it into 2nd and ridiculous RPM territory. Towing taught me to not be in a hurry.

In contrast, my diesel 3.0 liter TDI has 240hp/406tq. 8 speed automatic. I do not have to take it out of drive. 90% of my tow trip is in overdrive at about 2000 rpm.  The only time it downshifts is pulling climbs, and never below 6th, about 3200 rpm. 
+1 
Totally agree. Towed our 172t home from Duluth MN to Minneapolis 6 years ago with an 08 Odyssey and promptly upgraded it to an 07 VW Touareg TDI. Would have it still except I didn't want to spend 10K replacing both turbos. Bought a 13 4Runner. Spent the next 3 years towing in 3rd/4th gear. Gave up and bought a Silverado. It may hurt right now to make the upgrade, but don't suffer for years with the wrong TV like I did. I dreaded each trip. Added stress. These campers are the best mix of light weight, convenience, great features and quality you can get for the money. They are still difficult to tow with the wrong vehicle. 

Dave - 2016 Silverado 2500HD LML - 2010 RP172T
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>