R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGoalzero Yeti and alternatives to shore power

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Goalzero Yeti and alternatives to shore power
    Posted: 06 Mar 2016 at 12:47pm
We haven't yet taken our new 183G out for its maiden camping trip, however I'm already worried about what we can't use without shore power. My walk-through guy said that the microwave, furnace, A/C, television, and all the electric outlets cannot run off battery power. Is that right?

I know this is an open-ended question with lots of options for how to get power off the grid. I'm probably going to get an inverter at least to run some equipment off the battery, but also, would it be unwise to rewire the Rpod's 110 outlets to an inverter to use when there's no shore power?

Also, has anybody tried using a charged or charging Goalzero Yeti 1250 as the "shore power". Would that even last a day with a little A/C or even just fan use?
sailor323 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2016 at 1:35pm
Don't even think about running A/C on an inverter you can't produce or store enough electricity to make this practical.  The furnace can run even when not hooked up to shore power.  It would be unwise to hard wire the outlets to an inverter.  The Yeti 1250 will not produce or store enough electricity to do much more than run small electronics.  Besides, you already have storage capacity in your pod's battery (ies).  We use a small inverter to run small appliances like a coffee grinder or mini-processor.  We have a 12V blender.  The Fantastic Fan can run for quite a while on your battery(ies).
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2016 at 2:57pm
Your walk through guy was a little wrong. The systems you give up with no shore power are a/c and microwave. Maybe the tv maybe the cd/dvd/radio.. depends on model. Everything else in the pod runs on 12v and/or propane. And yes, your 120v outlets won't work.

It is completely impractical to try to run the a/c or microwave on a inverter/battery system. Can it be done? yes. The battery bank would be just about a ton, yes 2000 pounds of batteries, to run the a/c for a day... and then you need to recharge.. If you are going to be off grid, and need to run the larger appliances, a generator is the only answer. 3000 watts of inverter genny is going to be the starting point to run the a/c reliably.
Pilot View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2016 at 1:22pm
Only thing I loose off the grid is the AC, TV and Micowave. The boom box worked great. Late model 2015 177. 
Walt & Lynne
2015 r-pod 177
08 F150 or 2014 Explorer
Pinckney,Mi
howmanyds View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2016 at 3:27pm
My stereo works too. It's just interesting and disappointing that the TV would not be a 12v TV.
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2016 at 4:34pm
Originally posted by Pilot

Only thing I loose off the grid is the AC, TV and Micowave. The boom box worked great. Late model 2015 177. 

But many older pods have a wholly 120v entertainment system.. That's why I always make sure to point out some may, or may not. We just stream from our phones to a bluetooth speaker as needed, or watch on a tablet/laptop, if we feel the need.
 Post Reply Post Reply