R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhere does one leave a trailer near a big city?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Where does one leave a trailer near a big city?
    Posted: 09 Mar 2016 at 1:19am
So.... I bought an R-Pod recently and have not actually used it yet, but I do have a question for all you more experienced members. What does one do when they want to stay with friends in a big city for a few days, and that friend has no place for them to park. I will be visiting a friend in San Francisco soon and there is no way I want to enter the city pulling my trailer, even if they did actually have a driveway ! I am sure some of you have dealt with this issue. Please share your solutions !
Not all who wander are lost
DennisTx View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2016 at 4:12am
I've dropped mine at a private campground, for a nomimal fee, before entering a big city to stay with friends.  It wasn't the San Francisco area.  They let me put it out of the way, but in an area they could keep an eye on.  Worth the money to me.  Call the campground and see what they say.  I wouldn't drop it off in one of those catch-all RV parks.   I should add both time were at a KOA.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             
2011 Tacoma V6 4x4 Double Cab
2016 R-180
Camper Bob View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2016 at 8:54am
San Francisco no longer has an RV park inside the city limits. We were there a couple of years ago with our Pod and the closest to the city that we found was across the bay in Marin RV park in Greenbrae. Safe Travels.
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 LB. Mini Dachshund)
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2016 at 8:57am
Yep. In fact what I would do is ask at the last CG you plan to be in before entering the city.. (unless you are going to pull from Oregon all the way down in one pull.) Then just leave it at that CG and retrieve when ready.

1 thing I learned a few years ago is, this isn't a strange request to the RV park, or at least not to the one I asked. We had 3 pods, all attending back to back weekend rallies a couple hours from home. Asked the CG and they had no issue with us leaving them there for the 4 days we were gone between rallies. Free too.. Wink

A fella might even try a dealer down there.
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2016 at 9:28am
We visited my wife's brother who lives in a community with restrictions about parked vehicles. We contacted a local storage facility that we found in the yellow pages. they gladly rented us storage space in an open field  for a week for $45.there were lots of rv's, boats, and other vehicles being stored there. It was fenced , well lit and had 24hour access. It  seemed very secure. We could have rented a space with electrical connection, but did not need it.
We would do the same thing again if we needed to
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
Nozenji View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2016 at 10:57am
Thanks !
Nozenji View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2016 at 11:00am
Originally posted by furpod

Yep. In fact what I would do is ask at the last CG you plan to be in before entering the city.. (unless you are going to pull from Oregon all the way down in one pull.) Then just leave it at that CG and retrieve when ready.

1 thing I learned a few years ago is, this isn't a strange request to the RV park, or at least not to the one I asked. We had 3 pods, all attending back to back weekend rallies a couple hours from home. Asked the CG and they had no issue with us leaving them there for the 4 days we were gone between rallies. Free too.. Wink

A fella might even try a dealer down there.

Thanks, free is the price I am hoping for - California is expensive ! The last few times I've camped in CA was in State Parks, it was $30/night.
Nozenji View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2016 at 11:03am
Originally posted by Pod People

We visited my wife's brother who lives in a community with restrictions about parked vehicles. We contacted a local storage facility that we found in the yellow pages. they gladly rented us storage space in an open field  for a week for $45.there were lots of rv's, boats, and other vehicles being stored there. It was fenced , well lit and had 24hour access. It  seemed very secure. We could have rented a space with electrical connection, but did not need it.
We would do the same thing again if we needed to
Vann

Thanks ! This is what I was hoping to hear. California is expensive, $45 for the week might be too good to be true but I will look into it !
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2016 at 7:32pm
Moving to the pod section.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply