R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBlack tank fell from r-pod - Event Date: 03 Nov 2016

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 13>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Black tank fell from r-pod
    Posted: 15 Jun 2016 at 2:23pm
Holy S--t, I just bought a 2015 178 and heading out on a big 2 week trip next week.   Thanks for the heads up.
2016 R-Pod 178
2015 Pathfinder Platinum AWD
Wife, Child and Dog on adventures
Rustler View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2016 at 2:50am
This thread is a real eye-opener, and full of good advice. Having just purchased a new 2016 Rpod 171 (May 2016) I checked all of the tank cross members. What I discovered is that all cross members (except 1) are welded to the frame on one end with the other end held by heavy sheet metal screws with a 3/8 inch hex head. I snugged up all screws with a reasonable amount of torque well before risking stripping the threads. Only one cross member looked like it would benefit from a bolt drilled through the frame well away from the top or bottom. This was on the front crossmember ahead of the fresh water tank. This cross member is the one that had screws on both ends. So I'll likely drill for a 1/4 inch bolt through the frame. The flange at the end of this cross member is not flush with the frame, but is skewed. One of the two screws is in at an angle at the gap. After I get the through bolt in place, I may removed the skewed screw. Maybe with some heavy pounding I can get the flange end in contact with the frame. If not I'll get some washers to fill the gap. 

While I was at it I tightened all attachment clamps for hoses and wiring. Some were less than fully tightened. Also a couple of electrical ground points needed a bit of tightening. I would recommend that all Rpod owners check the underside for tightness of all fittings.
Russ
2009 Toyota RAV4
V6 w/ tow package
2016 Rpod 171 HRE
bluecatjudy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2016 at 11:28am
This is a great thread.  I just read through from the beginning.  I bought my 2016 179 3 weeks ago used.  When I called FR about mounting a WD to the tongue of the trailer they told me if I dril into the frame it would void the warranty.  They did not want me to drill holes for screws.  I can't imagine what they would say about through bolts.  I don't have a warranty but I am concerned about the integrity of the frame - I am no engineer but just concerned after FR comments.
sailorman
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2016 at 2:16pm
Yeah, when I mentioned installing a window in the door when I called about trying to purchase fabric that matched the original kitchen curtain fabric, I was told that installing a window voided the warranty on the door. As if installing a window destroyed the latch or hinge. The benefit of installing a window and through-bolting the brackets for the tanks was much greater than the fear of the door or frame failing.

By "installing a WD" do you mean Weight Distribution Hitch? If so, why would you need to drill into the frame? The brackets for my Equal-i-zer hitch use bolts above and below the frame to hold them in place. The only one I know of that suggests drilling is the Andersen, and even then, drilling all the way through is probably not needed. Drilling a depression for the set screw to grip is probably just as helpful.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2016 at 7:33pm
You must be a genius.  I was looking at a anti sway bar that required 4 self taping screws but I bought the prior owner's Anderson WD.  Yes with a set screw.  BUT I did get a RF brake controller that required 4 self taping screws to the tongue.  Oh well what's 6 more holes.😀
sailorman
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2016 at 7:54pm
I think you will not have any problems. What type of TV (Tow Vehicle) are you using that you got an RF brake controller? What made you decide on it instead of one like the Tekonsha Prodigy P3 or (the one that I have) the Hopkins InSIGHT Flex-Mount controller? If you don't already have the connector, you will have to run wiring anyway and the two I mentioned cost much less than the RF model I saw on eTrailer.com.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2016 at 10:09pm
I have a vw toureg.  I had read it was difficult to connect up a brake controller to a Tourage.  Since I had never connected a brake controller I was trying to cover all bases without taking it back to the dealer.   
sailorman
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2016 at 9:16am
I understand. I have recently read where a BMW owner had to go the same route plus put in a "light out" device since the BMW didn't like the trailer's LED lights.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2016 at 12:30pm
Not that I didn't trust you Steveh, but I consulted my friend who built 2 50 foot steel sailboats and recently an airplane.  He didn't think I would have a problem with the through bolts.  Half done already.  3 more to go. No problem but you forgot to mention a pillow would be helpful.
sailorman
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2016 at 2:07pm
I'm glad your friend confirmed that it wouldn't be a problem. As for a pillow, yes, I guess that would have been nice. You will probably be done when you read this. Isn't it nice not to have to worry about the tanks falling off? Thumbs Up
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 13>