R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBlack tank fell from r-pod - Event Date: 03 Nov 2016

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 13>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Black tank fell from r-pod
    Posted: 29 Apr 2016 at 9:23pm
Originally posted by StephenH

timpod, glad you caught it. The dealer did nothing more than take an impact driver and tighten them. I did not trust that after one of the screws stripped and he had to drill and put one between the original two locations. That is why I decided to drill and install stainless steel bolts, washers, and locknuts. I'm pretty sure now that my tanks will stay in their correct locations.

I'm going to through bolt as well, should hold it :) Did you have to use spacers, or did it all tighten down without them?
2016 Pod 172
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2016 at 9:33pm
It tightened without spacers. I suspect it is from pulling the frame in to the crossmember. I don't think the crossmember stretches.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
TargheeImages View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2016 at 10:36pm
We are new rpodders as well with a new 2016 178 on only our second weekend jaunt. Yesterday as we came through Yellowstone I caught motion in my side mirror as we were traveling at 45 mph near Pelican Creek and watched as the fresh water tank went careening across the oncoming lane of travel coming to rest in the middle of the road. With absolutely no shoulder we proceeded another 150 yards to a pull out and discovered that the cross bar holding the tank in place had come loose and was now dragging underneath the trailer. Thankfully, no traffic was coming at the moment the tank left our rig or it would have been disastrous.  We retrieved the tank and had to take the other side of the bracket off to get it home. Ours too, was only secured with 2 small sheet metal screws which sheared off. Very disappointed that Forest River is allowing such shoddy workmanship and design. We obviously are still under warranty but this is a very serious issue and Forest River should be stepping up and issuing a recall to correct this on all units. I will be scouring this forum to find out what other unpleasant surprises we may be able to correct proactively.  Any advice is welcome.
jdtrotter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2016 at 11:34pm
Wow, we are in the decision mode and thought we had found what we want, but we don't need these problems!  Is this symptomatic of the quality? 

Thanks

StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2016 at 8:31am
If you make sure that the dealer checks the crossbars and makes sure there are no gaps or bent screws, you probably will have no problems. I added the bolts because I did see gaps and bent screws. This happened, and I took it to the dealer before anything could happen. I was not happy with the dealer just tightening the screws, especially when one of them was stripped and the service person just drilled another hole and put the same type screw in. That is when I decided to go ahead and drill all the way through and put in stainless steel bolts, washers, and locknuts. The dealer will not do that as screws are, apparently, an industry standard way of mounting tanks. It is one thing I would check if purchase another trailer, regardless of brand. Anyone having such a mishap should report it to the NHTSA so that the problem can be documented and, hopefully, get a change so that this will not happen to anyone else.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
GLBCamper View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2016 at 11:12am
Can you tell me what type of drill and bit you used to drill into the frame? 
Old: 2014 177 HRE
2015 Tacoma V6 4x4 Double Cab
New: 2016 EVO ATS 200rd
2016 F150 4x4 Sport
frogpod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2016 at 11:29am
I believe I used 1/4 inch diameter bolts through the center of the frame to secure my brackets.  Used a 1/8 bit first and then a 1/4 inch , same diameter as the bolts.  Wiggled the bit to make the hole slightly larger than the bolt.  Normal metal bits.  One bolt used for each side of each bracket.  Make sure the hole through the frame is near the center of the frame to keep the frame structural integrity. 

Leo and Tami
with Coltrane the Jack Russell Terrier
2010 Rpod 171
2003 Toyota Tacoma TRD
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2016 at 11:35am
Originally posted by frogpod

Make sure the hole through the frame is near the center of the frame to keep the frame structural integrity. 

+1. Very important point!
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2016 at 12:17pm
I used 5/16" bolts, and also drilled through the lower holes at the center of the frame. I used a cordless drill and Harbor Freight bits. I about wore out two of them drilling through the steel of the frame. I have a little sharpener that helped.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2016 at 12:54pm
Welcome to both of you - go through and make sure all fittings are tight, fresh water and drain lines.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 13>