R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSUV Bicycle Racks and Trailer Hitch Clearance

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: SUV Bicycle Racks and Trailer Hitch Clearance
    Posted: 17 Mar 2016 at 2:21pm
Hi Everyone,

We are taking delivery of a 2016 RP-171 soon. I would like to be able to take along two mountain bikes on our trips. I would prefer not to have to buy the R-Pod bike mount, because it seems ludicrous to have to take them off the Pod and then throw them into the SUV to get them places.  We have a 2011 Tahoe and I would rather avoid a roof bike rack, because my wife is only 5'4" and there is no way she can help me get them down off that beast.

So my question is who uses a rear mount bike rack on their SUV, and what type/brand helps ensure clearance from the hitch etc?

Thanks,
Wil
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2016 at 2:34pm
I don't think there is solid, workable answer for having them on the truck, but between the truck and Pod.. We have several podders that added a front 2" receiver, and put the bikes up front. There is also a mount for the tongue of the trailer.. but that also doesn't meet your needs.

We roof rack. Always have. So once we were towing, it didn't change anything. I use a step ladder when needed. And I am 6 foot tall. Werner ladder company makes an awesome work table thing that is about 18" high and 40" long, perfect for standing on and moving around to load and unload, esp. if like us, you also haul a tandem or two sometimes.

They do make a stacked extension, but using it cuts your hitch capabilities in half, AND it doesn't work with anti-sway or WDH. So it gives you a place to mount a rack, but takes away the ability to tow the pod.. Embarrassed

I don't have a picture of the front mount receiver and rack, but eTrailer will have pictures etc.. It's probably the best answer for your situation.

So here is just a gratuitous Pod with Mt Bikes picture.. Smile

CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2016 at 2:43pm
After trying the FR rear rack I settled on a Swagman basket rack on the rear of a 2010 Pilot. Worked great. You may have to get a longer hitch shank as I did.

http://rpod-owners.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=3841&KW=bike&PID=36844&title=bike-carrier-with-rpods#36844

Scroll to the top of the thread to get the idea. Several others have copied this with success.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
Retroactive View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2016 at 2:57pm
OK, thanks for all the great input folks. It looks like there are trade offs for all solutions.  I have time to ponder it, I am the only one with a bike right now. Until the wife decides if she wants a bike also, I might just secure mine inside the pod during the haul.
ToolmanJohn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2016 at 5:26pm
 I have carried 2 bikes on the 1-1/4 R-Pod reciever, my spare tire is on the front A-Frame. I have a OneUp USA rack system, up to 3 bikes (mine has only one add-on) . It can be mounted 1-1/4" or 2" receivers. It comes with an adapter (one bolt) to convert to 2" receivers. Takes about 10 seconds.

I remove the bikes and install the rack onto my SUV after setting up at the campsite so I can shuttle my bikes for the weekend. When I'm done camping, the rack goes back onto the R-Pod and I hitch up the SUV to the R-Pod.

I was somewhat concerned with the weight (it is lighter than 80 pounds with both bikes), so made some through frame D-Ring supports in the back of the R-Pod. I use bungee and a nylon hold down strap to cinch the rack to the R-Pod so it cannot bounce. This protects the welds on the hitch. No problems so far in almost 3 years and several thousand tow miles.
2017 ATC 7X20 Custom Toy Hauler
2013 R-Pod 177 (SOLD)
2013 VW Touareg TDI
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2016 at 9:00pm
I'm one of the people that has a front 2" receiver.  That plus a cargo tray carries my generator on big trips.  Local trips where we can use the bikes (4) they sit upright on the tray, secured by two ratcheting tie-downs.  Really only one is needed to keep them solidly upright but I use another for backup.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Don Halas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2016 at 8:50am
Check out the Thule Helium.

It's pricey, but holds three bikes, is very lightweight, has receiver and bike locks and will fit in either a 1-1/14" or 2" receiver so it can go back and forth between your car(s) and the trailer.

Check out a pic on this page.

http://www.rpod-owners.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=6622&PN=4&title=new-rp178-owner
Retroactive View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2016 at 10:35am
That Thule looks sweet. That might be the route I go if the wife takes to biking. I like how it folds down.  Thules are pricey for sure, one of the gold standards, but I am a believer in "you get what you pay for".  I am looking forward to getting into mountain biking, hopefully I can resist the urge to go for maximum hangtime... like I did 30+ years ago in my BMX days!  Star

Don Halas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2016 at 11:51am
I'm fortunate, I got mine 2nd hand from a Craigslist ad. I think I paid the guy $180 and it was 1 season old, hardly used and included the attachment for womens bikes that don't have the cross post. I've only use it twice, but on a 9 hour drive and it appears to suit me well.

Post Reply Post Reply