R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedR-Pod frontal area

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: R-Pod frontal area
    Posted: 18 Mar 2016 at 11:38am
Multiplying width * height from the brochure specs (6'5" x 8'8") yields 56.61 sq. ft. That includes the air conditioner in the height figure, so it is somewhat less, since the AC does not cover the whole width of the roof. In any case, it is over 30 sq. ft.

I found the AeroPlus from PurpleLine USA.
http://www.purplelineusa.com/products-aeroplus.php

This helps to change the dynamic and makes towing easier since it improves the airflow, reducing drag. I have noticed a significant increase in fuel mileage since I purchased this and installed it. I am towing with a 2016 Ford Escape SE with factory tow package and 2L Ecoboost engine. I really do recommend this. I only have this installed while towing, as PurpleLine states to limit the speed to 60 mph while it is installed. Also, to have it installed while not towing would be bad for vehicle mileage.

I installed this using nylock nuts instead of the plastic hand-tightened nuts. They would have pressed against the car roof, which was unacceptable. It is also quite easy to install and remove the cross-bar with the AeroPlus attached, much easier than trying to attach it to the cross-bar while it is installed. I had to do some small modifications to adjust for the low height of the cross bars so that the bolts would not dig into the car roof also. This involved adding more spacers between the plastic shield and the bracket that sits on top of the cross-bar.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Happy Tripping View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2016 at 10:47am
I did a Forum search - No Joy

What is the frontal area of an R-Pod?

The only number I found on the internet is 30 sq ft, without further info.

I didn't know that manufacturer's frontal area limits are apparently very important when choosing a tow vehicle.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123