Topic Closedtow vehicle question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
julieboyles View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: tow vehicle question
    Posted: 13 May 2016 at 7:21pm
Can you give me more thoughts about the Highlander. I'm buying a 2016 178 and am looking for a tow vehicle. I looked at Tacomas, Forerunners, and Highlanders. The Highlander, for me, would also be the right combo between 5,000 tow cap and comfort with decent gas mileage. I want to make the right choice because I'm not one to trade vehicles very often.
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2016 at 9:04pm
LOL
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2016 at 8:38pm
BOOM
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2016 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by furpod

NO ONE EVER complains they have to much tow vehicle. NO ONE.

I just quoted you without realizing it.  I knew I'd seen this recently though....

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
dacolson View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2016 at 9:30am
Originally posted by StephenH

There were several other videos of diesel trucks vs. autos. One can't say that all of them red-lighted, but all of them smoked the gas powered "super" cars. When they were on the line, the diesels sounded like jet engines spinning up. It was, of course, the turbochargers.

I also saw a couple where things did not go so well. In one, the diesel's engine block left parts on the track, but still beat the car. In another, the truck was on a dynamometer and one of the turbochargers came through the grill. It was a bit of interesting viewing. I don't have anywhere near the kind of money it would take to put together such a rig.
With my luck, that would be me. Green light ... PARTS FLYING. 
Dave - 2016 Silverado 2500HD LML - 2010 RP172T
dacolson View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2016 at 9:29am
Originally posted by David

Originally posted by dacolson

There is an old drag racer saying:

"Torque gets you off the line(launches). Horsepower wins the race."

Just saying...you know....
Tell the guy in this truck Wink
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=54JCBM0MJpY

Interesting viewing. The truck "red lighted" (jumped the start). It is hard to know if the 'vette "stayed in it" - knowing the truck was DQed. He seemed a bit slow off the line. In looking at the speeds and ETs, the 'vette was bone stock and the truck modified. It would be interesting to look under the hood of both to see what kind of engines and modifications had been done. The Corvette could have had any number of engines in it. Still 100 mph in the 1/4 is impressive for a truck tipping the scales in the 7000lbs. neighborhood.

This is kind of an apples to oranges thing to me. That said, if a person is wanting to tow a heavy load and has the wallet to handle it, the kerosene burner is about as good as it gets, generally speaking.

However, if all bets are off, with any modifications allowed and money is no object....

John Force Racing is located in Brownsburg, near me. I bet he could wup 'em both in the 1/4 -    even with a Pod in tow! (with them not towing anything)

John Force

LOL. I love this stuff. Could watch these videos all day. I just see dollar signs billowing out of those stacks!Star

Dave - 2016 Silverado 2500HD LML - 2010 RP172T
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2016 at 9:09am
There were several other videos of diesel trucks vs. autos. One can't say that all of them red-lighted, but all of them smoked the gas powered "super" cars. When they were on the line, the diesels sounded like jet engines spinning up. It was, of course, the turbochargers.

I also saw a couple where things did not go so well. In one, the diesel's engine block left parts on the track, but still beat the car. In another, the truck was on a dynamometer and one of the turbochargers came through the grill. It was a bit of interesting viewing. I don't have anywhere near the kind of money it would take to put together such a rig.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2016 at 8:08am
Originally posted by dacolson

Tell the guy in this truckĀ Wink
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=54JCBM0MJpY

Interesting viewing. The truck "red lighted" (jumped the start). It is hard to know if the 'vette "stayed in it" - knowing the truck was DQed. He seemed a bit slow off the line. In looking at the speeds and ETs, the 'vette was bone stock and the truck modified. It would be interesting to look under the hood of both to see what kind of engines and modifications had been done. The Corvette could have had any number of engines in it. Still 100 mph in the 1/4 is impressive for a truck tipping the scales in the 7000lbs. neighborhood.

This is kind of an apples to oranges thing to me. That said, if a person is wanting to tow a heavy load and has the wallet to handle it, the kerosene burner is about as good as it gets, generally speaking.

However, if all bets are off, with any modifications allowed and money is no object....

John Force Racing is located in Brownsburg, near me. I bet he could wup 'em both in the 1/4 -    even with a Pod in tow! (with them not towing anything)

John Force

Patriot Dave View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2016 at 3:49am

Originally posted by Patriot Dave

[QUOTE=David] [QUOTE=Patriot Dave]

Thanks for the reply.
Well at least i know what to expect. I will be looking at possible replacements and choose something by the end of summer.
The Ranger has 145,000 on it so It will be time anyway.

Really, you are in a great position and your plan is also great. You'll get enough "road time" to determine, first hand, what 207 ponies will do for you. You'll have a good idea of what you need at the end of the season. I made it thru one season with the GMC Canyon and bought a 5.3L Silverado, that November.

I feel sorry for whoever bought that Canyon.

The Ranger has been a great small truck. It is my second one and I know it should easily make 200,000 miles. It has yet to give me any trouble and nor did the first one. The Off Road package has been good. There have been times I have spent 4 straight days in 4 wheel getting around northern Michigan in non-stop snow going to steelhead fishing holes. Did not get stuck one time. Often pushing snow with my front bumper. And the bodies hold up well. Gas mileage is not all that great due to the 4:11 rear end though.
Dave & Joyce
Never Forget, In God We Trust; This Our National Motto.
Member; Patriot Guard Riders, Michigan Chapter
Retired; So Every Day is Saturday.... Except Sunday
dacolson View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2016 at 10:03pm

Tell the guy in this truck Wink