Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedtow vehicle question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: tow vehicle question
    Posted: 19 Mar 2016 at 11:22am
I don't have a tow question, but I noticed in the picture attached to your login that you have one of the visors for the camper. How do you like the visor verses the R-Dome?
two and a half dogs View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2016 at 11:22am
Thanks, this is helpful.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2016 at 11:24am
Yep, money's always an issue. I had considered the Armada, maybe take a look.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2016 at 11:36am
Thanks, I definately don't want to be underpowered, but trying to avoid a V8, hence the decision to go with a lightweight trailer, but finding it rather confusing. I'm a "girl" so lack a lifetime of interest and experience with gearhead stuff.
Retroactive View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2016 at 11:43am
I have been a "car guy" practically since the day I was born. The SUV I just traded in was a Mazda CX-7, 2.3L Turbo. Admittedly, I used to drive my cars "like I stole it". At only 13k I blew the Turbo, I was not impressed. By 80k when I traded it, the engine was showing all the signs of premature aging due to high revs an tremendous heat output of the Turbo. I could hear and smell a small leak near the manifold, most likely "heat aging"' due to thermal transfer of the adjacent Turbo. I could also smell a faint coolant leak somewhere in the front of the engine, again heat aging from trying to cool down those insanely high revs. I got the Tahoe right before we bought the Rpod, because I believe that "on demand torque" trumps all else when towing. At very least a beefy V-6 should be used to tow the Rpods, unless the travel primarily in the flatlands.
dacolson View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2016 at 11:56am
Originally posted by two and a half dogs

Thanks, I definately don't want to be underpowered, but trying to avoid a V8, hence the decision to go with a lightweight trailer, but finding it rather confusing. I'm a "girl" so lack a lifetime of interest and experience with gearhead stuff.
Not sure if anyone answered your question about the 4Runner specifically. I towed our 172t with a 2013 4Runner Limited. Before that I had a VW diesel Touareg. The 4Runner towed it but had to work a lot. Constant shifting, high RPM, and was very susceptible to crosswinds. I really liked the VW Touareg. The Diesel made a huge difference. It didn't have to work nearly as hard. I just sold the 4Runner in favor of a diesel Chevy Silverado. Definitely overkill for the small rpod. You've got good options between the 4Runner and a big pickup. I'd recommend a smaller diesel if you can find one you like. Maybe a Diesel Jeep Grand Cherokee, a diesel Canyon/Colorado if you consider a small pickup an option. I loved the Touareg but reliability was not great. Good luck!
 P.s. How do your dogs like the camper?

Dave - 2016 Silverado 2500HD LML - 2010 RP172T
GLBCamper View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2016 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by furpod

Doing truck stuff requires a truck.

NO ONE EVER complains they have to much tow vehicle. NO ONE.

Leave emotion out of it, brand loyalty out of it, and what mileage does it get when not towing out of it.

It's a TOW VEHICLE. You are buying it to tow with, buy a vehicle that will tow.

Drive a VW (or whatever small higher mileage vehicle you like.. we chose the GTi) when not towing or doing truck stuff.

That's the most I have ever said on tow vehicle choice. David's fault.

I agree. But I HAVE a truck. My question was, is it enough truck? I understand a V8 would be BETTER, but I wanted to know if I had enough truck to do the job for this specific task. (See my previous post for exact specs.)
Old: 2014 177 HRE
2015 Tacoma V6 4x4 Double Cab
New: 2016 EVO ATS 200rd
2016 F150 4x4 Sport

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2016 at 12:14pm
Didn't know Jeep had a diesel option, that sounds worth looking into, but I'd probably need to consider used, and would guess it might be hard to find one... guess I am going to be shopping a bit longer than I had hoped...thanks for telling me about your 4 runner experience with towing. Haven't got the R Pod yet, getting the tow vehicle first, but the two older dogs have camped in rented or borrowed mobilehomes and loved it. The young one, no, but she's game for anything, think we're all gonna have a great time.
GLBCamper View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2016 at 12:17pm
Originally posted by Polly

I don't have a tow question, but I noticed in the picture attached to your login that you have one of the visors for the camper. How do you like the visor verses the R-Dome?

I really like it. It's super easy to put on and frankly I probably would never go through the hassle of the full dome.  I think it's a bit overpriced, but it was a birthday present to myself. 😊

P.S. To Two and a half Dogs. I'm a "girl" too. I suspect there are a lot more of us lurking on this forum then the boys suspect. 😜 The pod appeals to the ladies!
Old: 2014 177 HRE
2015 Tacoma V6 4x4 Double Cab
New: 2016 EVO ATS 200rd
2016 F150 4x4 Sport
dacolson View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2016 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by two and a half dogs

Didn't know Jeep had a diesel option, that sounds worth looking into, but I'd probably need to consider used, and would guess it might be hard to find one... guess I am going to be shopping a bit longer than I had hoped...thanks for telling me about your 4 runner experience with towing. Haven't got the R Pod yet, getting the tow vehicle first, but the two older dogs have camped in rented or borrowed mobilehomes and loved it. The young one, no, but she's game for anything, think we're all gonna have a great time.

Good luck shopping! The ecoDiesel Jeep's been out 3 or 4 years. Should be able to find some nice lease returns. The new diesel Canyon or Colorado just came out this year. I bet you'll spend more on that one. Glad the dogs like camping. Our dog loves camping. He won't stop jumping once he sees the truck back up to the camper. You'll love the Rpod.
Dave - 2016 Silverado 2500HD LML - 2010 RP172T
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>