Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedtow vehicle question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: tow vehicle question
    Posted: 19 Mar 2016 at 1:48pm
Whichever vehicle ends up being chosen,  a lot of open minded reading at owner forums should be done, just like most people here who decided on an R-Pod. Honest owner opinions are worth reading when you're shopping for a tow vehicle. 

Whether pickup trucks or SUV's or minivans, or wagons, you have to decide carefully what the primary purpose will be, and if towing is primary, you should base your decision with that in mind. If it's to be 95% daily driver, 5% towing, then you shouldn't need to spend a fortune on "overkill" and a smaller vehicle with an appropriate tow rating should be all that is needed.

But also consider the terrain, and distance that you will be towing as well. If you intend to do long pulls, in hilly terrain, then a smaller tow vehicle might end up cooked from the stress, so a bigger tow vehicle with a stronger engine might be the way to go.

2017 ATC 7X20 Custom Toy Hauler
2013 R-Pod 177 (SOLD)
2013 VW Touareg TDI
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2016 at 2:09pm
ToolmanJohn,

Thank you. I think that sums the situation up nicely.

As for cooking the engine in my Escape, I have a good warranty. I also am a conservative driver, so I probably don't tax the turbocharger as much. When it makes sense, I will probably upgrade vehicles. I really wanted a small Diesel powered vehicle, but got the Escape. So far, I have been impressed with it, even though it is pushing the upper limits of tow capacity. I am liking it even better with the AeroPlus, which definitely helps.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
ToolmanJohn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2016 at 6:50pm
I hope VW is able to bring the new TDI Tiguan to North America.  It's only available in Europe so far, but rated for 5500 lbs towing capacity.
2017 ATC 7X20 Custom Toy Hauler
2013 R-Pod 177 (SOLD)
2013 VW Touareg TDI
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2016 at 7:37am

Here is what happens when you buy a tow vehicle that is too small/under-powered:

video

Roadside bicyclists will question your I.Q.

But, I bet he gets good gas milage when not towing. Don't be like that guy. Think mid-sized V8....you'll be glad you did.

As you can see, there are a number of opinions on this subject.
Retroactive View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2016 at 11:33am
I'd take that instead of some rollovers I have seen the aftermath of. The 1980's were the era of people thinking they could tow a 3,500 trailer to Cape Cod in a Chrysler K-car!  No wonder that scenario was an rhetorical plot device on CHIPS. LOL
dacolson View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2016 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by GLBCamper

I agree. But I HAVE a truck. My question was, is it enough truck? I understand a V8 would be BETTER, but I wanted to know if I had enough truck to do the job for this specific task. (See my previous post for exact specs.)
I towed our 172T with a 2013 4Runner. It's basically the same chassis and engine as the Tacoma, but is heavier and has differences in the suspension. I gave up on the 4Runner because it had to work hard all the time at towing our setup - lots of gear shifting and high revs. Yours has a higher tow rating than the 4Runner which technically "worked" even if it was a struggle. I'd feel confident with the Tacoma. I like a pickup for towing vs an SUV regardless. The open bed gives you a lot more flexibility with rearranging load to deal with tongue/axle weight/etc between the TV and TT. 
Dave - 2016 Silverado 2500HD LML - 2010 RP172T
Kickstart View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2016 at 7:08pm
Originally posted by GLBCamper

So...I am towing my 177, moderately loaded with a Toyota Tacoma 4L V6 with factory tow package spec 236 HP @ 5200 rpm torque 266 ft lbs @ 4000 RPM tow rated at 6300lbs. 
All of that means nothing to me. How does it sound? Plenty? Just OK?

Hey GLBCamper, I towed an RP175 for a couple years with a Taco just like yours. It was a 2006, but they had identical specs from 2005 until 2016. I towed all the foothills and passes of Washington state many times, and the Tacoma did very well.

Here's more info than you'll probably want or need. Towing mileage was between 10 and 14, with most tanks @ about 12 or so mpg--all hand figured. Always use tow/haul when towing, as that locks out 5th and keeps the tranny from searching in and out of O/D which is really hard on the tranny due to the heat generated. My ScanGauge indicated tranny temps for the Tacoma sometimes as high as 230 or so when pulling elevation or towing stop and go in town. That's about as high as you want to go, but the World Standard fluid supplied in Tacos is synthetic, so that's not unreasonably high.

Don't be afraid to tow 3500/4000 rpm or so when pulling grades, as it's better to rev a little than to lug--it's most efficient and best for your engine/tranny to tow within your torque curve when working hard. Your Tacoma will drop down to 3rd and maybe even 2nd during the hardest of climbs--rev it, but don't scream it!

Unless you have the 4th rear spring, then Tacomas are a little softly sprung for towing, so I recommend a WDH, plus a WDH gives you good peace of mind. Using a sway control only just covers up what is wrong or what you've done wrong with your set up. I've seen a Taco or two that weren't set up well doing a very unhappy dance when towing.

I'm now towing about 1000lb more than the RPod, and had replaced the Taco before that purchase. I'd have been comfortable towing our Kodiak with the Tacoma--maybe short of the Southwest or Continental Divide. I've said it before, "There's lots I miss about the Tacoma--especially parking it v/s a full sized pickup in Costco parking lots!"

Ya have very little to worry about compared to what some people try to tow Pods with.

'10 RP 175-Replaced by 2014 Kodiak 173 QBSL
'12 Toyota Tundra
'05 Sportster (half a Harley)
Retired-We're on Beach Time!
matell View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2016 at 8:19pm
We tow our pod with a Tacoma 6 cyl , 236 hp with no problems up the coke (Canada) all the way from Vancouver Island to Saskatoon Alberta
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2016 at 3:11pm
My Highlander was a compromise when I bought it almost 4 years ago. I wanted a vehicle capable of towing a lightweight travel trailer, but also one that would get decent gas mileage for my commute, which is 40 miles each way mostly on rural roads. The thought of a diesel isn't appealing because diesel fumes literally make me sick.
dacolson View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2016 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by TheBum

My Highlander was a compromise when I bought it almost 4 years ago. I wanted a vehicle capable of towing a lightweight travel trailer, but also one that would get decent gas mileage for my commute, which is 40 miles each way mostly on rural roads. The thought of a diesel isn't appealing because diesel fumes literally make me sick.
Not to discount your reaction, I think diesels get a bad rap - no thanks to VW. With low sulfur diesel, EGR, DEF and particulate filters, you can't even smell the fumes anymore. Better mpg, better torque ... It just makes sense for a towing vehicle to me. I love that jeep/Chrystler, Nissan and GM are bringing them down into smaller SUVs and small trucks. IMO they are much better for our application than gassers. 
Dave - 2016 Silverado 2500HD LML - 2010 RP172T
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>