R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed"Must Have" Mods & Fixes for the noob?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Must Have" Mods & Fixes for the noob?
    Posted: 22 Mar 2016 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by Retroactive

But I really like your idea of incorporating artwork, she was a dual major with art as secondary, maybe I will surprise her with some supplies to make some stuff for the pod while we are down there - art therapy. Best of luck to you as well.

Just be careful, if my missus had her way, it would look like someone hosed down the inside of the pod with Pepto Bismol and bubble gum and have it looking like a New Orleans cathouse in no time.  LOL

At least we compromised and went with some neutral colors, reds and browns. 
2010 R-Pod RP-171
2010 Honda Ridgeline TV
Retroactive View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2016 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by JohnBG

If the T-Mobile is weak, maybe get a Verizon or AT&T Mi-Fi or other wireless hotspot, they use a lower frequency that has better coverage.  I have Verizon as my carrier and the phone has a "mobile hotspot" feature and it's worked great everywhere we have camped in Florida, but coverages can vary.   Gotta love streaming college and Monday night footballs in the dome to torment tent campers... Tongue

My sister had T-Mobile here in FL and once you got 20 miles out of town or away from an interstate highway, it was dead as a doornail for 3G/4G wi-fi service.

I have noticed T-Mobile seems to be more urban focused. Even in the MA suburbs the signal is weak depending on where you live, random unexplained dead spots.  My signal at home is garbage, I have to use a "wifi calling" cell router connected to the net, but I live on the far side of a granite mini-mountain with 200' of rise behind me.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2016 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by GLBCamper

Originally posted by JohnBG

Unless you have the Hood River Edition (HRE) or the 2" lift kit installed on the non-HRE-pods, the 2nd step will either be on the ground or just above it.

Good point. Being in Oregon I often forget you non-HRE folks!

We could use one up here in New England. It could be "The Platinum Pothole LTD".

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2016 at 2:32pm
For anyone that has the Jensen Bluetooth capable CD/DVD unit: if anyone knows the model # could you please let me know? Especially if it is a 2016 model, but as long as it is Bluetooth an older model should be fine.

I want to look up the manual, and see what Bluetooth functions it has. The only thing I have found is that you can control the entertainment unit with your phone. I am trying to determine if it has additional functionality, as well as options for connecting our phones for music playback.

EDIT: after searching the forum, it looks like the JWM6A from 2015 is close enough (link below) The unit appears to have USB music playback, which is my preferred method.  It seems to have Bluetooth playback too, if I want to experiment with that. This is good, streaming Pandora will be very helpful.

https://www.jensenrvdirect.com/downloads/dl/file/id/730/jwm6a_owners_manual.pdf

TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2016 at 12:48pm

For anyone that has the Jensen Bluetooth capable CD/DVD unit: if anyone knows the model # could you please let me know? Especially if it is a 2016 model, but as long as it is Bluetooth an older model should be fine.
I want to look up the manual, and see what Bluetooth functions it has. The only thing I have found is that you can control the entertainment unit with your phone. I am trying to determine if it has additional functionality, as well as options for connecting our phones for music playback.
EDIT: after searching the forum, it looks like the JWM6A from 2015 is close enough (link below) The unit appears to have USB music playback, which is my preferred method.  It seems to have Bluetooth playback too, if I want to experiment with that. This is good, streaming Pandora will be very helpful.
https://www.jensenrvdirect.com/downloads/dl/file/id/730/jwm6a_owners_manual.pdf

The unit on the 2016 R-Pods is the AWM968. I have used BT audio on it and it works great. I am considering upgrading to the JWM6A so I can run HDMI to the TV for DVD playback. It also supports an Android control app, which is of no interest to me since I have an iPhone.

I just wish we had the 12V TV instead of the AC one: the 12V TV and the JWM6A support HDMI-ARC, which means that a single HDMI connection would not only allow digital video output to the TV but also TV audio into the stereo when watching over-the-air broadcasts. That's not a deal breaker though because the stereo can't do surround sound, so an analog audio aux connection is quite sufficient.
Commander203 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2016 at 1:05pm

I would highly recommend switching to double steps. It makes it so much easier to get in or out! Especially someone who might be feeling a little weak. Search the boards for a link. I bought mine on eTrailer for less than $90.

GLBCamper,

Could you post the part number for your steps for the POD. I ordered a set that doesn't fit and need to return for the correct parts.

Thanks,
Mike & Erin
2013 Tundra 4.6L V8 (Tow PK)
2006 Honda Goldwing GL 1800
2005 Honda VTX 1800N

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2016 at 1:18pm
Originally posted by TheBum

The unit on the 2016 R-Pods is the AWM968. I have used BT audio on it and it works great. I am considering upgrading to the JWM6A so I can run HDMI to the TV for DVD playback. It also supports an Android control app, which is of no interest to me since I have an iPhone. 

I just wish we had the 12V TV instead of the AC one: the 12V TV and the JWM6A support HDMI-ARC, which means that a single HDMI connection would not only allow digital video output to the TV but also TV audio into the stereo when watching over-the-air broadcasts. That's not a deal breaker though because the stereo can't do surround sound, so an analog audio aux connection is quite sufficient.

Thanks for all the great info! I am a Home Theater nut, but haven't done vehicle audio upgrades in over 20 years. I'm going to assume the inside speakers are cheapo "dual cone" type, if so I am going to upgrade those immediately to true 3-Way types if possible. Is your TV near the AVR? Just wondering because routing an HDMI cable seems ambitious, or do these units run on the mini-HDMI cables?
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2016 at 1:59pm

Thanks for all the great info! I am a Home Theater nut, but haven't done vehicle audio upgrades in over 20 years. I'm going to assume the inside speakers are cheapo "dual cone" type, if so I am going to upgrade those immediately to true 3-Way types if possible. Is your TV near the AVR? Just wondering because routing an HDMI cable seems ambitious, or do these units run on the mini-HDMI cables?

I think the TV and stereo are adjacent on all the R-Pod models. On the 179, the TV connections are on one short wall over the bed and the stereo is just around the corner, so access is a piece of cake.

The indoor speakers are dual cone; I haven't checked the outdoor ones, but they're marine speakers due to weather exposure. The issue with aftermarket speakers is depth: there's only about 1.5" of depth between the ceiling and the plywood over the insulation in the 179 and most better speakers are over 2" deep. The speaker can always be spaced so it doesn't mount flush against the ceiling; whether that appeals to you depends on how likely you are to hit your head on it.

I have JBL GX series 2-way speakers in my TV and really like them, so I'll probably get a pair of the appropriate size for the R-Pod. I think most people doing speaker upgrades are using 6.5" speakers, although I would think they'd be too big based on my measurements of the factory speakers. Maybe someone who has done the upgrade will chime in.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2016 at 3:58pm
I assumed there would be a depth issue upgrading the speakers. There are some plastic retrofit collars out there for that purpose, Crutchfield has a few on their website, they usually come in black and you can paint them. I'm definitely not cutting into anything while it is under warranty, if the collars won't make it work then the project can wait a year.
GLBCamper View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2016 at 7:34pm
Originally posted by Commander203

I would highly recommend switching to double steps. It makes it so much easier to get in or out! Especially someone who might be feeling a little weak. Search the boards for a link. I bought mine on eTrailer for less than $90.

GLBCamper,

Could you post the part number for your steps for the POD. I ordered a set that doesn't fit and need to return for the correct parts.

Thanks,

Flexco 24" double steps pn 

SMFP-2100 at eTrailer

Old: 2014 177 HRE
2015 Tacoma V6 4x4 Double Cab
New: 2016 EVO ATS 200rd
2016 F150 4x4 Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>