Topic ClosedJayco Hummingbird r-pod clone

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
FireMechanic View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jayco Hummingbird r-pod clone
    Posted: 11 Nov 2016 at 8:03pm
My daughter has a 182G model and it has two different points of drain. Front and rear of the left tire. I usually like to leave the hose hooked up and flush it with the gray water.
Chuckfsc View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2016 at 7:43pm
The new 179 do not have a single point drain hose. They have a separate one for gray and a separate for black water.
Chuckfsc

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2016 at 10:18am
Yeah that could be true because the wire leading from your alternator is generally a 10 gauge. Even the lowest rated alternators are usually like 130 amp max output, but they don't deliver rated amperage capacity to the batteries because of the wiring inability to pass the actual amperage. Also the alternator charging system on our vehicles is only designed to keep our car battery topped off and all the loads in the vehicle are generally run from the reserve capacity of the battery being nearly fully charged. Generally the biggest load used in your vehicle would be your fan for your air-conditioning system. Maybe somebody has some figures how much amps it actually takes to run the refrigerator correctly. .Maybe short trips would be fine on 12 V but changing back to propane periodically might be smart. Long drives running off your alternator and battery packs could overheat the alternator also. Input is welcome!
thanks
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2016 at 9:28am
It isn't so much that the refrigerator will not be cold, but that the alternator in the TV may not be able to support running the refrigerator while simultaneously charging the battery. You may arrive to a campsite with a marginally charged battery. This is important if you intend to dry camp. We have traveled extensively with the refrigerator running on propane with no problems.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2016 at 12:31am
Yes, my son-in-law and daughter travel all over In their Rpod with the 12V refrigerator running and have never had a problem with it not being cold. Some people in the forum were saying that you need to increase the size of the wire leading to the refrigerator from the tow unit. So, I guess that is still a possibility if your refrigerator heats up.
But getting to the discussion of the awnings is an issue for me. I prefer a fully encased awning to keep it from getting weather beaten and wet in the rain storms . It just seems like it would last a lot longer without mold and mildew and sun beating on it. It appears the new Rpods have a fully encased awning. The recessed stove top with a glass cover and the new thermostat controls seem pretty nice. Also a single point drain for both black and gray water tanks is pretty handy.
I did like the storage compartment lights on the Hummingbird. Also an outside TV mount was provided on the Hummingbird.
Weekend Warrior View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2016 at 10:13pm
I love the 3 way 4 cubic inch fridge in my RPOD 180. Its the perfect size for 2 people. We never jam pack it with food since we are weekend campers. We did use it for 8 straight days in San Diego and since Walmart was close by, we just bought what we really needed so nothing went to waste. I think your idea of shutting off the propane while traveling and switching to battery power is an excellent idea. No chance of an accident happening.
I think you'll be happy with the 180 because it handles great in the inner city roadways as well as the interstate roads and its so easy to park and tow.
The shower is a bit small for a big guy but I usually use the campground showers and my wife likes her privacy in the RPOD shower.
podvader View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2016 at 6:43am
I think that the new awning fits the pod pretty well. I might be the oddball but I have had both and I preferred the manual awning.
Chuckfsc View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2016 at 4:25pm
I have looked at the Hummingbird. I wish forest river would use the same quality awning. The new awning on the 2017 and 1/2 is junk compared to the Hummingbird and the Winnie Drop
Chuckfsc
Blue Highways View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 9:45am
Beautiful country you are heading to. (Sawtooths). Raised my two boys in Hailey (Wood River Valley) but they now both work in Boise. Have fun! If you want a peaceful, beautiful "hookups" CG to stay in with access to Boise offerings, the best we found was in nearby Wilder, Idaho, about 45 minutes into downtown Boise night scene & shopping. This campground is right on a very peaceful serene portion of the Snake River, you're right next to it, and you often get treated to an awesome sunset over the river each evening, which you are right next to. "River's Edge" is the name, and less than $30 a night and VERY quite and relaxing when we were there in Sept. Have fun Beav  ! ! ! 

Blue Highways View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 9:40am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>