Topic ClosedReserve or not reserve

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reserve or not reserve
    Posted: 26 Mar 2016 at 9:03am
We are planning a western U.S. trip in Late April from central Texas ultimately to Seattle and back.  We plan on taking in as many national parks as we can.  We have only had our 180 for less than a month and have one 1,500 mile trip under our belt.  On that tip we made reservations in advance witch left us with little flexibility. 

My question to you veteran campers is, can you just arrive and expect you will get a camp site in most places or do you need to reserve in advance? 

Thanks

Dave
2016 R-Pod 180
2015 Ford Explorer Limited
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2016 at 9:20am
On the road traveling we will usually locate a potential and then call ahead to see if they have room. we have never been rejected yet. They will usually find room.
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
DaveC3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2016 at 11:09am
Thanks Leo, I was hoping that would be the case.

Dave
2016 R-Pod 180
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2016 at 11:23am
For me it really depends.  National Parks, at least the ones I've camped at, have largely turned over reservations management to Reserve.gov, which, also in my experience, seems to mean that more and more campgrounds and campsites require a reservation and/or walk-in sites are more scarce.

We get around all that by camping off-season as much as possible, which we prefer anyway.  But if we, or you, want to stay at a popular National Park, or other campground, at anything close to peak times, you'd do well to at least check out the reservations situation as far in advance as you can.

On the other hand, if you're just touring around and don't care where you end up at night, and you're open to commercial campgrounds, truck stops or Walmarts, but would prefer any old campground, you can probably get by calling ahead a couple hours before you want to stop.  We use the paid phone app Allstays Camp & RV.  It gives you just about all the alternatives on your route and their phone numbers.

I do a lot of what I call "destination" camping, where I want to end up at a certain spot for a week.  I make reservations for the destination whenever I can, but because I don't care where or even what time I stop along the way, I don't make reservations on the road.  The one time I did, I got to the campground late (20 miles off route), in a pouring rain, and the gate was locked.  They didn't tell me they were one of those campgrounds that you have to check in by 7 and they give you the combination to the gate lock....  I had to back out a narrow road for about a quarter of a mile, lost my paid deposit, and ended up at a Walmart for the first time about 2 hours later.  Wished I'd gone straight to Walmart.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2016 at 4:36pm
It depends upon how picky you are. Sunday-Thursday seem to be the slowest days. Weekends are "iffy". Holidays - forget it. I agree with Tars on the National Parks. You may not find anything available in the park, when you want it, but maybe something not too far away.

Personally, I prefer to reserve whenever possible. I know about how much I want to drive in a day and can pick out something appropriate. Also, I don't end up in a situation like Tars mentions.

Over the decades, it seems to me that camping has grown ever more popular. More competition for the available sites.
DaveC3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2016 at 4:37pm
Thanks TT

We will definitely get that app.

Take care

Dave
2016 R-Pod 180
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2016 at 6:17pm
I won't go on a trip w/o reservations, especially for the big destinations.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Camper Bob View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2016 at 6:25pm
In my experience, I have to agree with Techntrek.  Safe Travels.
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 LB. Mini Dachshund)
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
lbolwell View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2016 at 10:15am
Dave, which app are you getting please?   I am looking for the right Iphone app for Campgrounds.
Thanks
Lynne

DaveC3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2016 at 11:04am
Lynn

TT suggested http://www.allstays.com/apps/camprv.htm, We have returned from our five week trip, did not use the app.  We were going to buy a smart phone but decided not to on this trip. Our GPS has a search feature that gives Point of Interests, we sorted by RV parks.  We had no problem finding somewhere to stay at the last minute.  We made reservations in advance to stops we wanted to make sure there was a space for us (Grand Canyon etc.).

Hope this helps

Dave
2016 R-Pod 180
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>