R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > Non-pod Discussion Forums > Mods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDe winterizing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: De winterizing
    Posted: 28 Mar 2016 at 12:16pm
Hi....soon I'll have to dewinterize...so am reading up on it and will have several questions. First one....what's with the "white" hose? What's special about it?

Thanks,
Marcia
Marcia from MN
13 177 R Pod
06 Dodge Grand Caravan
Max, Gracie & Greta
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2016 at 5:39pm
If you are speaking of the "white" hose that resembles a garden hose,
it is used to fill your fresh water tank or connect your Pod to a "city" water supply (if you do this, it is recommended to use a pressure regulator).

The "white" hoses are made from materials believed to be safe for the delivery of potable water. Generic garden hoses CAN be from materials which might contaminate the water with "not so good stuff" (like lead). They are not intended to be a part of a potable water system so, they can be made of whatever the manufacturer wants. Maybe it's OK for human consumption, maybe not.
Idaklee View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2016 at 7:53pm
Ok, I got it! Thanks.....next question. When checking to be sure the switch is set the right way where the pink stuff goes in, how do I know which is the right way?! I had my RV service person winterize, so I've no clue. Thanks!
Marcia from MN
13 177 R Pod
06 Dodge Grand Caravan
Max, Gracie & Greta
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2016 at 8:58pm
The handle should be perpendicular to the short hose you stick in the antifreeze jug.  Also make sure the valves behind the water heater are set right.  In summer the middle one should be perpendicular to the line.  The other two should be parallel to their lines.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Idaklee View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2016 at 9:45pm
Great! Thanks!
One last question and this will sound unusual, to say the least...but....my water heater valves are in the cabinet under the bed and I'm not sure I can get to them by myself. So in case I can't get that part done prior to leaving....all that will mean is that I can't have any hot water, right?? I could still go and use water, toilet, etc...right?
Marcia from MN
13 177 R Pod
06 Dodge Grand Caravan
Max, Gracie & Greta
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2016 at 10:53pm
Yes, you are correct.  Everything will work fine except you won't have hot water. 

Depending on your pod, the valves are easily accessible by opening the hatch above the water heater (it may be hinged and just lift up, or you may have to remove a few screws) or there is vertical panel on the inside of the pod right in front of the back side of the water heater that comes off by removing 4 screws.  So worst case, you need to know how to work a screwdriver to get to the valves.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
Idaklee View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2016 at 11:24am
I have a 177 and when the RV guy winterized it for me, one guy had to hold the bed up while the other guy got down on his knees, unscrewed a panel to reach the valves!
Marcia from MN
13 177 R Pod
06 Dodge Grand Caravan
Max, Gracie & Greta
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2016 at 12:03pm
Originally posted by Idaklee

I have a 177 and when the RV guy winterized it for me, one guy had to hold the bed up while the other guy got down on his knees, unscrewed a panel to reach the valves!

You can cut that panel to make it much easier to deal with.
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2016 at 12:04pm
Depends on your layout... It might be that all you really need to do is lie down on the foor & do the screws. I should have said though, be absolutelty sure not to fire up the gas on the water heater or turn on the electric element until you have the WH filled with wateR.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
ron_whitt View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2016 at 9:17am
Idaklee, we have a 177 also. Cut yourself a piece of wooden dowel 3/4" about 16in long and use that to hold up the plywood while you change the valves. Also for de-winterizing or winterizing I threw away the small screws that hold the panel on in front of the water pump. I placed Velcro on the sides of the panel, put 2 small pieces of cloth to be able to pull the panel off, and then colour matched small cork pieces (any $ store will have them)and glued them over the screw holes.. Good luck. and welcome.
Ron & Shirley
2020 Tacoma
2012 177 rpod
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>