R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedC-Head Composting Toilet

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: C-Head Composting Toilet
    Posted: 28 Mar 2016 at 10:54pm

I installed a C-Head composting toilet last week, and this last weekend we had the chance to use it while on a short 3 day trip.

Installation was pretty straight forward, remove the previous head, build a "mating" plate, and a grate. The pipe connecting to the black tank includes a flange that protrudes up about 1/2" from the platform floor, and as the C-Head requires a flat surface, I built a plate that covers the bottom of the C-Head with a hole cut-out for the flange.  I did not connect the C-Head to the black tank (it's an option to route the pee into the tank which we'll consider later), and as our pod is new and the tank clean, I just left it un-sealed.

The C-Head sits a little higher, so I constructed a cedar grate (with walnut dowels) to fit in the shower pan. It makes sitting on the head more comfortable, esp. for my 5'4" wife and 7 year old, though it does make it a little more awkward for me at 5' 11", as my head hits the ceiling standing up... still not to bad. I remove the grate for showering.

Nothing complicated with the install. I ordered the optional hold-down straps and those, along with the round cut-out for the flange, make it pretty secure.

Worked great over the weekend. Smells like peat moss. I was wondering if there would be any pee smell, and there was none.  I've read some people spray a little vinegar water down in the pee trap to keep it smelling good, we'll probably do the same... but for our short initial test, no odor at all.

We emptied the pee jug before taking off in the morning. If we stayed put somewhere, we'd probably be emptying it every day, maybe stretch to two days depending on usage. I didn't find it inconvenient, and we can always route it to the black tank later. Poo still sitting in the head, will empty it out this week. I don't expect any surprises there. Still smells like peat moss.

So far we're really happy with the unit. Our goal is to get at least a week's work of usage before having to empty the "compost", and only have to deal with pumping the grey tank.

Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2016 at 6:31am
Interesting project!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
GoatGirl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2016 at 2:28pm
Fantastic!  We are considering doing the same install.  How is it holding up?  How did you vent it to the outside?  We aren't exactly the most handy people but our rpod dealer was so adamantly against composting toilets I think I'd rather do the install myself. I hope it's going well!
timpod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2016 at 10:52am
Originally posted by GoatGirl

Fantastic!  We are considering doing the same install.  How is it holding up?  How did you vent it to the outside?  We aren't exactly the most handy people but our rpod dealer was so adamantly against composting toilets I think I'd rather do the install myself. I hope it's going well!

It was easy to install, really not much to it. We are still very happy with it. I didn't install a vent, waiting to see if it's going to be necessary and so far it's been fine. We've only been on relatively short trips though. On a longer trip, as the composter fills up, a vent might be needed... If I do put one in, I'll probably vent it out the side.
2016 Pod 172
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
GoatGirl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2016 at 11:50am
It looks great and I think I'm going to do it.  Last two questions, what did you do with the blue pipe in back?  Are you at all concerned with the base plate getting wet and holding moisture after someone showers?

Thanks for posting, this makes it possible for people like me to give it a go!

2013 Toyota Highlander
2016 178 Rpod
timpod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2016 at 12:10pm
Originally posted by GoatGirl

It looks great and I think I'm going to do it.  Last two questions, what did you do with the blue pipe in back?  Are you at all concerned with the base plate getting wet and holding moisture after someone showers?
Thanks for posting, this makes it possible for people like me to give it a go!

The blue pipe is pressure water. I put a plug in it, hose clamped, and simply pushed it into the wall space. There was plenty of room and it could be recoverd later if needed. I cut a small hole out of the back wall to call facilitate this. The base plate was sealed with several coats of polyurethane. I'd also recommend some rot reisistant wood, such as cedar.
2016 Pod 172
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
 Post Reply Post Reply