R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDome Track size

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dome Track size
    Posted: 30 Mar 2016 at 11:00am
Hi All

So usually i find answers to everything pod related here. So here it goes, when i bought my 2011, R-pod 171 from the previous owner he gave me the rdome but what he had done was convert the rdome to a bikini dome, he cut off the three sides and just left the sun shade at the top.

So i went and got another dome from the classified section here. But when i went to install it, i realized it the track is too big for the new rdome, the plastic thingy sewed on the end of the dome that goes in the track was thinner than the rdome i had, and the track was made for a thicker insert.

So far i have got no luck trying to explain it to the RV shops over the phone. What are my options here?

Thanks
Rudy
2011 Rpod 171
Tundra
Rudy Reshmi n big Omkar n lil Arjun
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2016 at 12:16pm
I cannot tell which is the larger, the keder strip on the dome, or the rail on the Pod..

If the pod rail is to large, then you need a dome from a newer pod. That should be easy. If the pod rail is to to small, see below.

2011 was the changeover from small keder to large. In general, if you have a rings pod, you have the small keder. The dome from Dometic to fit that keder has been OOP for several years now. The odds of finding a new one are virtually zero.

Your options include, finding a small keder dome in the classifieds,

Ordering new small keder and having a sail or boat shop or upholstery shop change the keder,

Change the keder rail on the pod (FR will sell you a new rail) and lastly,

Pahaque makes something very much like the dome, and the visor, and a awning, and can make them for either keder rail size. 

If it's the rail is to large, and you have a small keder dome in your hands you don't need, post it as such in the classifieds and it should be gone in days. 2011 is the only year the changeover affects. '09-'11 are mostly small keder, and late 2011 forward are all large keder.
john in idaho View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2016 at 12:27pm
Stupid question --- what are the two different sizes in measurement??  My  rail is 5/16" wide along the narrowest part of the split in the rail.  2015 179.
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2016 at 12:33pm
It's not the size of the split, but the bore of the track. The small keder is 9mm, the large is 14mm. You have a post 2012 pod, you have a large keder rail.
marwayne View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2016 at 1:34pm
If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

john in idaho View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2016 at 1:59pm
Got it.  I was confused.
rudyunknown View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2016 at 3:03pm
Yeah i got the larger rail, the dome came in from a older rpod...

Where can i buy the Keder strip for the dome. I still want to have the option of using both the domes. Can I buy the keder strip online or from a RV store?

And if i get hold of the strip, who can put it on the dome? I meant who can sew in the new keder strip inot the old dome?

Thanks
Rudy
2011 Rpod 171
Tundra
Rudy Reshmi n big Omkar n lil Arjun
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2016 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by rudyunknown

Yeah i got the larger rail, the dome came in from a older rpod...

Where can i buy the Keder strip for the dome. I still want to have the option of using both the domes. Can I buy the keder strip online or from a RV store?

And if i get hold of the strip, who can put it on the dome? I meant who can sew in the new keder strip inot the old dome?

Thanks
Rudy

Honestly, there is no reason to swap either. Just sell the older dome, MANY owners of small keder rail pods are looking for domes. Use the money to buy a proper fitting dome, and make two owners happy.

If that doesn't make sense to you, and you want to modify the older dome, just search google for "keder tape", it's used on sale boats a lot. Then find a local boat shop our auto upholstery shop to do the sewing.
sean p View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2016 at 8:20am
any tent company will have the keder for you. it has 2 open tabs toslide dome canvas into. they sell a wonderful epoxy just for tent vinal. follow directions and it will hold in any wind storm.. you dont need to sew them together the glue is perfect..but allow 24 hrs for it to dry. becomes a stronger bond over time..just slice off the old one and glue together..hope this helps.  i work on tent repair daily
2016 179pod--BETTY
2010 nissan frontier
Sean and Doug
Butchie the morkie
touring the west
JohnBG View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2016 at 10:47am
Sell the old style dome and get a newer one...

I have a 2010 171 and was looking for an older dome for months, scarcer than hen's teeth.  I finally ended up changing the keder channel rails to newer larger ones and bought a new dome.

Help a podder with an old pod out and save yourself some hassle... Wink
2010 R-Pod RP-171
2010 Honda Ridgeline TV
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>