R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBike Rack Confusion

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bike Rack Confusion
    Posted: 30 Mar 2016 at 4:53pm
After reading the discussions concerning bike racks I ordered a Highland 1375100 SportWing Hitch Mounted 2 Bike Carrier believing this rack was the same as the one recommended by FR. Much to my surprise the very first warning in the instructions are:
DO NOT USE THE RACK ON AN RV OR TRAILER Cry

Should I send it back?

As usual I'm in the zone of confusion.

Ron & Sharon
2015 R-Pod 179
2022 Nissan Frontier

No trees were harmed in the sending of this message but a billion electrons were really agitated
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2016 at 6:34pm
Not a problem unless you plan on going high speed boulder climbing, in which case any rack and bikes will self destruct. I carried two bikes with that rack on a Pod for several years w/o problems.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
ronahue View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2016 at 6:38pm

Thank You 

Ron & Sharon
2015 R-Pod 179
2022 Nissan Frontier

No trees were harmed in the sending of this message but a billion electrons were really agitated
Retroactive View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2016 at 7:11pm
Ron,

Please post your impressions of the rack. Eventually we will start making trips up to the mountains, and I may want to bring mountain bikes. Did you already relocate the spare tire?
ronahue View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2016 at 4:36pm
I have mounted the rack on both the trailer (11/4") and TV (2") the trailer is easy slide it in put the pin in and tighten the bolt that prevents the hitch from moving in the receiver. The TV is a little more complicate as you need to line up 3 pieces of metal an push a bolt through then tighten the bolt with a wrench and an Allen wrench which is provided. The rest of the assembly is simple. The rack looks flimsy but I think it will be fine. I have not mounted the bikes yet as they are in the shop for their spring checkup. I will update and let you know when and where the bikes fell off the rack in the futureSmile
Ron & Sharon
2015 R-Pod 179
2022 Nissan Frontier

Mikel View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2016 at 3:02pm
Any experience with a "spare tire mount" bike rack?  I'm thinking of a relative light weight carrier for two bikes that mounts either to the spare tire mount or over the top of the spare tire.  I'd like to carry both - the spare and a bike or two.  Thanks,
Mikel
Mikel
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2016 at 3:26pm
Originally posted by Mikel

Any experience with a "spare tire mount" bike rack?  I'm thinking of a relative light weight carrier for two bikes that mounts either to the spare tire mount or over the top of the spare tire.  I'd like to carry both - the spare and a bike or two.  Thanks,
Mikel

Carrying bikes and spare on the rear bumper is too much weight mounted too far out. Either move the spare to the tongue and use a light weight bike carrier on the rear or mount a two bike carrier on the TV, between the TV and TT. Both approaches are described in detail on this forum.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
ronahue View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2016 at 3:33pm
I will carry the spare in the bed of my pickup and the bikes on the trailer. I carried the bikes in the pickup last year and it got be a hassle with the generator and other stuff back there so I'm hoping this will be better. My understanding is the same as Charlie M having both on the back is too much.
Ron & Sharon
2015 R-Pod 179
2022 Nissan Frontier

Mikel View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2016 at 10:58pm
Thanks.  That was my concern - too much weight too far out.  For an RV, I'm more used to a stoutly built sailboat.  These trailers are very much on the flimsy side, seemingly built to save weight and material costs.  I'll look into how to mount the spare on the tongue.  Thanks again for your insight!
Mikel
Mikel
frogpod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2016 at 7:21pm
I got a "spare Joe" over the spare bike rack and used it on the Pod with one bike twice....once for a 2000 mile trip.  It slides around substantially and doesn't stay upright.  I would mount anchors for some bungee cords if I decide to use it again......but I won't.  I agree that the hitch on the back of the pod isn't meant to carry that much weight.  I periodically would check the hitch for broken welds.  Going to carry the bike in the back of the truck and put the spare joe on Craigslist.
Leo and Tami
with Coltrane the Jack Russell Terrier
2010 Rpod 171
2003 Toyota Tacoma TRD
 Post Reply Post Reply